Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

242 results found

1. Data Compare almost always fails because of frequent (but short) network outages. If we could specify a long timeout, that would solve this problem.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. The source for create new snapshot defaults to database. Automatically populate Server, Authentication, Database and New Snapshot name using the Database information on the other side of the compare window.

Customizable name tags for the new snapshot name would be perfect: [SERVER][DATABASE][DATETIME].snp

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. File->Create scripts folder should script index fill factor. When the created folder is compared against a DB I can optionally include/exclude the fill factor as I need

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I am trying to do a schema compare and deploy but the source database has 99k objects. Is it possible to chunk the deploy feature?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When running a deployment (especially for the automated DevOps part, but even for creating a deploy script) you should have the option to enter/update a new Extended Property value called like “RedGate Version #” with whatever the version number you get from the source control for that object. Ideally it would be nice to also update that in the database level Extended Property as well, but at least on whatever object you are making a change to with that deployment. That way you can self-document what the latest version control number was for that particular object (or the DB as…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Instead of opening SSMS every time I create a new script with the DEPLOY button, it would be nice to check if SSMS is already openned and then switch to it instead of opening a new SSMS each time, at the end of the day I have 20 SSMS open.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I made a copy of a database for my application and implemented SQL Always Encrypted in the copy database. I did a compare back to the original, intending to get a deployment script to get those changes back into the original DB and SQL Compare isn't seeing the details of the columns related to encryption. I saw a message board post that indicated this isn't supported, but would like to request that support for this be added

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Previously, when running SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare from the command line using a .scp file and .sdc file, the tool would account for the entities to be included as described in the .scp and .sdc file. At some point this behavior changed and now the command line generates a script that contains ALL differences between source database and target database. This broke our automated builds that were making use of the command line. I am requesting that this be looked at again, and that these tools would take into account the entities described in the .scp and .sdc…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When selecting a database name, please allow filtering the list by typing partial strings from the middle of the name of the database name. for example, if my database name is "Database_1335" I could search for it by typing 1335

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make 'Ignore Constraints' ignore default constraint values.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. It would be great to see SQL Compare support Visual Studio Database Projects (.sqlproj).

Current if you choose Source Control | Scripts, you can point to the project folder, but then SQL Compare gets confused because it loads in extra .sql files (eg. the 'create database'.sql that gets put in the build output 'bin' folder).

Selecting the 'Tables' sub-folder works more reliably (if just comparing tables!), but then pushing changes down to the files results in schema that no longer compiles because the SSDT tools require 'GO' separators between each DDL statement.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. If you run a script with option to use the "USE database" clause and the database doesn't exist the script will go ahead and attempt to run the script in the current database. This is usually "master" if you are in a new query window and if you only adding new items it will add them all to the master db.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add an option to ignore the Unicode differences in Extended Properties. SQL Compare currently will differentiate between Extended Property text (e.g., for MS_Description) created as Unicode vs Ansi (e.g., N'My text' vs 'My Text'). SQL will apparently maintain this different even though scripts generated from SSMS always show it as Unicode (with N). Thus, this can cause SQL Compare to show differences between two databases where there is none intended (the description text is identical).

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Each of our production SQL servers has dozens of databases on it. We have a SQL Compare project file for each database to compare it between the production and dev servers.
    Sometimes we find out that we've been using different comparison settings (either filters or project settings or both) between databases that results in us not finding differences that we should have, in hindsight, found.
    It'd be super if there were a way to define the filters + project settings by at a higher level, and perhaps tied to either the database name, the source server, or the target server.…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SQL Compare tries to preserve data from table when adding a new NOT NULL column and adds below steps to deployment script:
    1. Create a new table B with same structure from original table A
    2. Perform INSERT INTO table B SELECT * FROM Table A
    3. DROP Table A
    4. Rename Table B to Table A

The issue:
    For example if we add a new column to a ETL table with 1M rows. We don't need data to be preserved since table gets populated during ETL process. The deployment script without manually remove INSERT statement will take a very…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Would like to include newly defined views, functions and stored procedures when dropping objects in deployment script. Currently, if you create a new stored procedure, then do the compare, it only does a CREATE in the script even if you have "use DROP and CREATE" selected as an option. I have to manually add the drop commands to the script so that it can truly be executed multiple times if needed.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. SQL Compare
    Sometimes I want to exclude specific items from deployment script when doing a comparison. For example, when comparing a table, exclude a specific trigger on that table.

This is a SSDT feature that is missing in SQL Compare.

I know custom filters can be used to achieve this, but this it is cumbersome for "ad hoc" choices, and I could not achieve the results wanted for the example below.

Using a trigger associated as with a table as an example:
    Assume there is a schema change with a specific table that includes a trigger. Assume that the trigger…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. On the same screen as specifying the databases to compare, I'd like to specify what objects (tables, procs, functions, ...) should be compared and have the choices saved with the project. Often, I'm looking to see whether I made an update to an object in DB2 that I made in DB1 and I don't need/want to wait for all objects to be compared. Sort of using the object filter ahead of time.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. We're using MS Data Sync Services which makes heavy use of versioned tables and triggers to populate these tables. The objects are named x.x.x.xTableName (example 1.0.0.13Table and 1.0.0.13Tabledeletetrigger. The triggers to populate these objects are placed on the base table (TableName, not x.x.x.xTableName).

To create deployment scripts, I utilize filter rules to remove table names, stored procedures, UDDTs, etc. used by Data Sync Services. However, the DSS triggers placed upon the base table are still scripted out; they are not filtered out as I would expect.

P.S. For those thinking of using Data Sync…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. This option exists in SQL Compare but not SQL Data Compare.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?