SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

1. I would be ideal if there was the ability to compare just a single Schema in databases. Example, exclude all dbo object and just include all objects in the XX schema. This would speed up the compare, as we would only be comparing objects in the XX schema and ignoring the 10K objects in the dbo schema.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. File->Create scripts folder should script index fill factor. When the created folder is compared against a DB I can optionally include/exclude the fill factor as I need

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I am trying to do a schema compare and deploy but the source database has 99k objects. Is it possible to chunk the deploy feature?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. The comparison window seems to use a hard-coded value of 8 spaces for tab characters. The SSMS default value is currently 4 spaces per tab. So things that align just fine in SSMS are always wacky when displayed in SQL Compare. Couldn't you make this a user-configurable option?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I made a copy of a database for my application and implemented SQL Always Encrypted in the copy database. I did a compare back to the original, intending to get a deployment script to get those changes back into the original DB and SQL Compare isn't seeing the details of the columns related to encryption. I saw a message board post that indicated this isn't supported, but would like to request that support for this be added

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. It would be great to see SQL Compare support Visual Studio Database Projects (.sqlproj).

Current if you choose Source Control | Scripts, you can point to the project folder, but then SQL Compare gets confused because it loads in extra .sql files (eg. the 'create database'.sql that gets put in the build output 'bin' folder).

Selecting the 'Tables' sub-folder works more reliably (if just comparing tables!), but then pushing changes down to the files results in schema that no longer compiles because the SSDT tools require 'GO' separators between each DDL statement.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. If you run a script with option to use the "USE database" clause and the database doesn't exist the script will go ahead and attempt to run the script in the current database. This is usually "master" if you are in a new query window and if you only adding new items it will add them all to the master db.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add an option to ignore the Unicode differences in Extended Properties. SQL Compare currently will differentiate between Extended Property text (e.g., for MS_Description) created as Unicode vs Ansi (e.g., N'My text' vs 'My Text'). SQL will apparently maintain this different even though scripts generated from SSMS always show it as Unicode (with N). Thus, this can cause SQL Compare to show differences between two databases where there is none intended (the description text is identical).

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Each of our production SQL servers has dozens of databases on it. We have a SQL Compare project file for each database to compare it between the production and dev servers.
    Sometimes we find out that we've been using different comparison settings (either filters or project settings or both) between databases that results in us not finding differences that we should have, in hindsight, found.
    It'd be super if there were a way to define the filters + project settings by at a higher level, and perhaps tied to either the database name, the source server, or the target server.…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. SQL Compare tries to preserve data from table when adding a new NOT NULL column and adds below steps to deployment script:
    1. Create a new table B with same structure from original table A
    2. Perform INSERT INTO table B SELECT * FROM Table A
    3. DROP Table A
    4. Rename Table B to Table A

The issue:
    For example if we add a new column to a ETL table with 1M rows. We don't need data to be preserved since table gets populated during ETL process. The deployment script without manually remove INSERT statement will take a very…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Would like to include newly defined views, functions and stored procedures when dropping objects in deployment script. Currently, if you create a new stored procedure, then do the compare, it only does a CREATE in the script even if you have "use DROP and CREATE" selected as an option. I have to manually add the drop commands to the script so that it can truly be executed multiple times if needed.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We're using MS Data Sync Services which makes heavy use of versioned tables and triggers to populate these tables. The objects are named x.x.x.xTableName (example 1.0.0.13Table and 1.0.0.13Tabledeletetrigger. The triggers to populate these objects are placed on the base table (TableName, not x.x.x.xTableName).

To create deployment scripts, I utilize filter rules to remove table names, stored procedures, UDDTs, etc. used by Data Sync Services. However, the DSS triggers placed upon the base table are still scripted out; they are not filtered out as I would expect.

P.S. For those thinking of using Data Sync…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. My usual diff-ing tool (BeyondCompare), allows me to pick which, from a list of differences, I want to go through to a final version. I guess you might call this more of a merge-conflict-resolver than a diff-tool.

What is great about this, is that when changes have been made on both sides, I can take the 'best of both', and make sure that those go through to the final output.

Now, you might say, 'how indisciplined', to have had changes on both sides. But I've found that here, as elsewhere, absolute discipline is an aspiration, but not the answer to…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Display last change dates of repository for databases under SQL Source Control.

And display also last schema change date from database.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When comparing two databases it would be nice to have the ability to have objects that only exist in the target be ignored. It is somewhat dangerous to have an option that would cause objects to be dropped and it would be good to be able to not have that show.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I liked it they it was in Version 12. we could see side by side comparison. and also you used to show the last modification date

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Currently (v 13), there is an all-or-none project option to include or exclude object permissions across all database objects. It would be fabulous to push that option down into custom filter rules so inclusions/exclusions can happen more granularly, at an object-level. Use case: the majority of our tables use generic permissions but a small subset of tables use ActiveDrictory groups that differ by environment so we have to manage them as a special case. I'd love to be able to specify something like this as a filter rule: 'generate object permissions for all tables except tables that begin with <blah>'.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. In previous versions of SQL Compare the /force switch would create the entire file path that was specified for the report output. In version 13, if any of the path does not exist the report generation fails for a 'Could not find a part of the path' error. Only if the path and the file already exist, will the /force switch work.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Both SQL Source Control and SQL Compare tell me how many objects are excluded by the filter. I can click on the link (button in SQL Compare) to see my filter settings. What I do not seem to be able to do is view the diff for excluded objects. Can you please add a button (or similar) to the UI of SQL Source Control and SQL Compare, that will allow me to toggle the diff table content between included and excluded objects.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I've encountered this, especially with default constraints. I generate a change script. I run it on a system. Something happens that causes the script to fail. I fix the problem, but then it fails the second time because the default constraints it is trying to create are already there!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?