SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

1. Make the script for execution writable. It would be faster to be edited in you editor that is already connected to the target database and saves time . The alternatives (save or copy) are more time consuming

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Can we have an option that allow us to ignore the database users?

Thanks

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I cannot connect to my databases on startup. The credentials are the same as I use in other programs and scripts but no dice. Some more meaningful error messages as well as options to specify the port and not clearing down the user/password fields would also be useful.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Most of the first-class objects for Service Broker are comparable by SQLCompare (i.e. queues, services, message types, contracts, service bindings, etc). One omission is Broker Priorities. It would be nice to have those at least comparable by the tool with an obvious next step having the ability to synchronize from source to destination

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I've worked over many years with multiple teams and I observe the same phenomenon. The proliferation of OLD, _BAK, _20191123, _ETC objects as developers try out new things for all sorts database artifacts; Tables, Views, Sprocs, etc. I would find it immensely helpful to compare two such artifacts, TABLE and TABLEOLD (for example) to see what has been changed.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When using script as a comparison source allow the ability to exclude one or more of the subfolders.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. SQL Compare
    Sometimes I want to exclude specific items from deployment script when doing a comparison. For example, when comparing a table, exclude a specific trigger on that table.

This is a SSDT feature that is missing in SQL Compare.

I know custom filters can be used to achieve this, but this it is cumbersome for "ad hoc" choices, and I could not achieve the results wanted for the example below.

Using a trigger associated as with a table as an example:
    Assume there is a schema change with a specific table that includes a trigger. Assume that the trigger…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I need to replicate a database for read-only reporting purposes and the production database is littered with all sorts of default constraints.

For example:
    ALTER TABLE [schema].[table] ADD CONSTRAINT [DFtablecolumn] DEFAULT ('Unknown') FOR [column].
    This is what the definition is in SSMS.

In SQL Compare:

[column] [varchar] (15) COLLATE SQLLatin1GeneralCP1CIAS NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DFtable_column] DEFAULT -- No text is available,

Now the constraint fails AND the comma separator for the next line is missing.

Another fun one:

[SCD Surrogate Hash Key] AS (CONVERT([varbinary](64),hashbytes('SHA2_512',coalesce(CONVERT([varbinary](50),[column]),0x00)+0x0001))) PERSISTED NOT NULL,

And SQL Compare loses all track…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. We really need the ability to specify big timeout periods as we're dealing with large tables with breaking changes (adding constraints) which require rebuilding the table, and we have no luck completing the task due to short timeout in SQL Compare.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. We have separate SQL Server service accounts for each environment. For example, saSQL01prod and saSQL01test and saSQL01dev. We want to ensure that the same permissions in PROD exist in TEST. However, now, SQL Compare wants us to create the saSQL01prod account and remove the saSQL01test account to equalize.

What we wish to happen is that it compare the permissions of the saSQL01prod account in our PROD environment to the saSQL01test account in our TEST environment and generate the compare based off that.

For example, saSQL01

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Can the compare engine be enhanced to work with Azure Synapse?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. On the same screen as specifying the databases to compare, I'd like to specify what objects (tables, procs, functions, ...) should be compared and have the choices saved with the project. Often, I'm looking to see whether I made an update to an object in DB2 that I made in DB1 and I don't need/want to wait for all objects to be compared. Sort of using the object filter ahead of time.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. This option exists in SQL Compare but not SQL Data Compare.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. It would be helpful if the comment header of scripts generated by SQL Compare included the list of Actions present in the Summary tab of the Deployment dialog box.

We keep copies of all Production deployment scripts, but without scanning through the entire script, it can be hard to identify what is going on in each script. Having an option to include that data in the comment header would make it easier for us to track down and review what changes went out with what release.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I have found that User Defined Data Types are not scripted after stored procedures that use that data type.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The behavior of the "Ignore whitespace" option was changed in version 13.3:
    SC-9967: "Ignore whitespace" option is no longer applied to string literals

This option would retain legacy functionality by adding the ability to still ignore whitespace in string literals.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I just updated to SQL Compare version 13.4.0.6563 and tried to generate an update script for a database.

Several tables should have had two columns added to them but there seems to be a bug as the generated script followed these steps for each:

1 Drop primary key
    2 Drop table
    3 Add columns to table

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I would like to see an option when clicking the trash can next to a custom filter rule, it would ask "Are you sure..." (I'll leave the text up to you). Too many times, I have clicked on the trash can instead of the pencil (edit) and poof--all my filters for that object type are gone.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Currently, when going through differences, the highlighted line can be at the bottom of the window, so subsequent lines cannot be seen. It would be better if the view scrolled around the cursor position so that the current difference was always in the middle of the window.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Sql compare produces an scp file which is an xml file. However, the contents of the change is compacted and encoded, and not readable in text editor.
    I wish the list of objects to change can be directly readable from the xml. "Generate comparison results report" is bulky and cumbersome. It would be nice if we have some very short summary in the scp file itself.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?