Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• or

23 results found

1. SQL compare regularly identifies a difference between the same index between the same table stored on 2 different databases as it seems to get confused with a different index then says the the same index underneath the 'different' one, should be deleted! It must not compare on the name of the index but maybe an order? Is this a bug?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Currently, there is an option to ignore constraint and index names. Please separate out indexes from constraint names.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Please add an option to "Ignore index named like nciwi%

These index are added by SQL Server (starting with Azure SQL DB), as part of optimizing the workload on a database.

They make it impossible to compare two databases, as too many "false" differences exists.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. First this may be more apparent as tedious in my case, we happen to have large tables with decent sized indexes. I would appreciate if through the setup of a SQL Compare project I could impact index create or rebuild behavior through the selection of on\off toggle for the switches that are available upon creation of an index.

I use some options more than others with the most frequently added option being SORTINTEMPDB = ON. I use this because when building large indexes I want to try and avoid as much as possible any unintended…

78 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Our indexes are tuned and maintained in production. Database development is done elsewhere and moved using SQL Compare. Therefore we don't want to compare indexes. However, if we don't compare indexes, then the primary keys are not created. If we do compare indexes, there is a real risk that production will be damaged.
    This problem could be prevented by treating primary key indexes differently from other indexes. That this is even necessary is an implementation quirk of SQL Server.

126 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Andrew Farries responded

In SQL Compare 12.2.3.4239, released today, we have made a start on giving users more fine grained control over exactly which indexes are deployed.

We have added a new `Ignore performance indexes’ option which will ignore all indexes except primary keys and unique constraints.

We realise that there is more we can do in this area, so we would like to hear your feedback about whether this new option is helpful and how we can do more.

Feedback on this feature can be posted on the forum thread:

https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/80770/new-feature-ignore-performance-indexes

6. Currently SQL Compare detects the order of columnstores as a difference. Columnstores have been around for a while now, can't this please get fixed?

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When comparing tables, additions/changes in indexes are included as part of the differences to the table. I would like a way to separate index management from table management. In other words, it would be nice to be able to select a table for modification without including the indexes. I know we can do this from a project level with settings, but if there are many tables selected for change, I would like to be able to include the indexes for some tables and not others. Also, it would be nice to be able to select individual index

192 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. By default this is 'off' in SQL 2019. But we have found some tables have significant performance improvements for load if its 'on'. Thus tuning requires these indexes to be on. For SQL Compare to remain useful it needs to highlight were where there is a difference in the property - and support deployments with the property to retain it as on.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. (This is actually relevant to both SQL Compare and SQL Source Control.)

We really need to be able to distinguish between unique and non-unique indexes when comparing, checking in, and deploying database schema changes. ("Unique indexes" include primary keys, unique constraints, and unique indexes on tables and unique indexes on views; "non-unique indexes" include non-unique indexes on tables and views.)

Unique indexes are essential to the database development process. They make a significant functional difference to the behavior of the database: they enforce business rules and referential integrity; they limit the data that…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. File->Create scripts folder should script index fill factor. When the created folder is compared against a DB I can optionally include/exclude the fill factor as I need

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. When applying data compression differences (table or index), use rebuild partition or rebuild index rather than drop & create, both to minimize impact, and in the case of primary keys on replicated tables, avoid failure because replicated tables can't be dropped.
    e.g.,
    ALTER TABLE schema.TableName REBUILD PARTITION = ALL WITH (DATACOMPRESSION = PAGE);
    ALTER INDEX [IndexName] ON schema.TableName REBUILD PARTITION = ALL WITH (DATA
    COMPRESSION=PAGE);

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. For those of us working with data warehouses, using SORTINTEMPDB is the default behavior we need.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When creating indexes on large tables, it would be very beneficial to include the "WITH (ONLINE = ON)" in the create statement for the index to prevent table locking. This will need to be optional because not all server versions support it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. A table on server 1 has 2 indexes. The same table on server 2 has 4 indexes. Depending on the order that the script generates the DDL the compare might show all 4 indexes as different/new where it should show 2 as the same and 2 new.

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I have 2 databases - production, and archive. Archive has all the indexes of production (starting with "IX") but also has some archive only ones (starting with "AIX"). Would be nice if I could add a filter to "exclude indexes starting with 'AIX-'" to my comparison - currently I have to export to a script, and manually delete all the "drop index AIX_..." sections.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Project level option to script indexes and triggers into their own sub-folders. This allow for a more granular check-in and makes text diffs more clear.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. There are some changes that are riskier than others, not because of the type of change, but because of the object. For example, some changes require rebuilding a table or index. This can be a simple process if there are a few hundred rows, but it's a risky, slow process if there are a few billion.

It would be nice to add a "risk" value to certain tables, so that when I see a list of changes, I can determine if this particular object ought to be separated out as a different deployment.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. If indexes & partition schemas/functions are set to be ignored, SQL Compare should not attempt to query them. Additionally would be helpful for other object types that are ignored so that the queries are streamlined to only what is selected for compare. This would be a performance enhancement, the pain is where there is a high number of partitions where the intention is just to compare something simple like stored procedures and UDFs.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I use SQL Compare very rarely. Most of the time I use it to find the differences between two databases with different structure version. And therefore I need to see in a blink of an eye what dml triggers are missing or outdated or whatever. Currently there is no possibility to filter for table objects like dml triggers.
    It would be very nice if there is an option to restrict the view depending on sub elements like Index, Column, Collation, Trigger.
    Maybe it would be enough if the seach bar at the top would also search the SQL view…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I have multiple databases which have the same columns (mostly) but sometimes differing defaults.

They also have different indexes.

I'd like to choose to ONLY sync indexes across.

Obviously the system would need to be intelligent enough to sync only those that have the columns they use/include in both source and destination.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1