Skip to content

SQL Change Automation

SQL Change Automation works with your CI server and release management system, so you test, build, and release your database alongside your application code. To find out more please visit our website.

We need your help to shape SQL Change Automation into a great product that helps database professionals. We’d love to hear about your feature ideas and suggestions, so please enter them below.

If you have any questions or need help with SQL Change Automation, please visit our support forums.

SQL Change Automation

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

49 results found

1. In the "RedGate - Create Database Release" step template for OctopusDeploy, the powershell script contains logic for uploading Change.html, Warning.xml and Update.sql files (among others) as artifacts on the current Release. The only text added to the resulting artifact file name besides these keywords is the name of the database. In our environment, every single release produces each of the above artifacts, and if you view a Release that has been promoted through multiple environments the Artifact listing just shows the exact same artifact names repeated over and over with no indication of the environment in which they were produced.…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Given the latest release of SCA contains breaking changes due to Microsoft.Data.SqlClient version updates, it would be nice to have an RSS feed for updates to RedGate products, particularly those used in CI/CD pipelines like SQL Change Automation PowerShell commandlets.

This isn't possible to do through PowerShell gallery (e.g. https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/SqlChangeAutomation/4.5.22279.31986) and changes are buried away in the Package Details section, nor through the release notes on RedGate's site (e.g. https://documentation.red-gate.com/sca/release-notes-and-other-versions/powershell-module-release-notes/sql-change-automation-powershell-4-5-release-notes). Some sort of heads up about changes would be nice rather than just finding broken pipelines.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I have discovered that too much information is being processed to simply display a percentage completed with the Invoke-DatabaseBuild command. I suspect other SQL Change Automation powershell commands are also utilizating the same behavior.

By turning the powershell progressbar off via the ps setting.

$ProgressPreference = "SilentlyContinue"

I improved a single database build performance:

I suspect there's alot of data serialization and deserialization taking place within SQL Change Automation update progressbar code to do a simple progressbar reporting update.

This code within sql change automation needs to be looked at more closely to…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. In our development databases we never set the filestream property on any column.
    On some production servers, our DBA turns filestream on for specific customers that store large blobs.
    When we deploy a new version the filestream property gets removed.

It would be great if an option could be added to the .scpf filters format to ignore the filestream property.

Currently we need to exclude tables that have columns with potential filestream properties as a workaround.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The current TeamCity SQL Change Automation Sync plugin supports SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare options, which is great. What it does not support are SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare command line switches such as /exclude:table<tablename> or any of these switches listed in this documentation https://documentation.red-gate.com/sc/using-the-command-line/switches-used-in-the-command-line

So, if I have a requirement to exclude certain objects for certain environments then my only option currently is to run the actual commandline.exe instead of the using the plugin.

Please add two new fields to the TemCity plugin so I can enter the command line switches for my SQL Compare and SQL…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. We have to manually remove our stub check scripts from our package scripts on every build. Can you please add an option to automatically exclude stub check scripts?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I very often find myself making partial releases of the DB, and therefore most of my time I waste it selecting and deselecting the objects that I don't want to release.
    Would it be possible to put a "Select All" / "Deselect All" in the migration objects windows?

For me it would be a really necessary feature :-)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Currently when deploying clones from SQL Clone images, the database level extended property IsSQLCloneDatabase gets set to 1. It would be helpful to be able to see the image name the clone is created from.

This would allow for handling "sliding window" scenarios in terms of phasing out out-of-date images when you have a weekly image created in a graceful/programmatic way).

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. We have a very modular structure, with multiple SCA projects all targeting the same database. Each module can (and are) be independently releases. Each module in turn actually consists of 3 SCA projects, the Database Module Project, the Tsqlt Unit Test Project, and the Tsqlt Release Test project (smoke/regression/reconciliation tests).

it would be ideal to have cmdlets that lets us quickly create, in a programmatic way, projects with the settings we have for each of these (references, clone image baseline provisioning, semantic versioning, dataspace, migration log schema etc, filter file etc).

Include tsqlt files in test projects would be a…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The default script options for creating additional files and filegroups relies on the $(DefaultDataPath) variable. This value is given by the server.

But: if you are using SQL Clone, using this value, you get orphaned files when the clone is either dropped or reset.

If you place the files within the vhd of the clone however, reset and dropping the clone works as expected.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Hi,

I would like to see a VS Code project option, with a much easier to maintain project file, potentially even splitting configurations into separate settings files using yml or similar.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When maintaining a database, like to assign names to unnamed default constraints. However, generated script only works if the target database has identically named "unamed" default constraints.

To add robustness to the script, I modify these to a short snippet that works on the schema+table+column. (Using a snippet in SQL Prompt to speed the process :)
    But why do I need to do this - after all it is replacing machine generated code?

Here is the SQL Prompt snippet I use:

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. when working on a VS project that includes a SCA project it would be useful to allow the developer to "automate" the capturing of changes in their development database (e.g. connection string that is defined in the sqlproj.user file) through some form of automation either as:
    - part of a local build step (for example where a EF Core project has created and applied database a migration to a development database) that automatically generates and adds the new migration script to the SCA project; or
    - is triggered as part of a git pre-check-in command (e.g. SCA PowerShell?)

It would…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Our Create a hot fix procedure is:

1. Create and get a bug fix into master using the procedures for making changes
    2. Create a local hot fix branch from current/test or current/production annotated tag
    3. Cherry pick bug fix commit(s) from master to the local hot fix branch
    4. Run a full build, all automated tests, and all migrations
    5. Push the local hot fix branch to the remote repository
    6. Build & release pipelines are triggered

This procedure will help prevent regressions due to developers forgetting to merge hot fixes to master.

This feature request relates to step 2. The CI/CD release pipeline will…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When the Hybrid Model is used (where state-based changes are managed using SQL Source Control) and SQL Change Automation draws from SSC as its Development Source, it would be great if SQL Change Automation could detect changes to static data scripts in SSC and automatically create migrations for them. As it stands, the SCA user must manually code those migration scripts. Not a huge deal, but it would seem like a natural capability to add to the Hybrid Model given the way it already nicely handles structural (aka DDL) changes made in SSC.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Kendra responded

While this item isn’t specifically on our roadmap at this time, we have plans to improve and evolve the hybrid model in our offerings in 2021, and this will be a good candidate for consideration.

16. When using the Redgate Change automation plugin for Azure DevOps pipelines, I wish to be able to run the tests AND produce the code coverage.

We can create the code coverage from SSMS, and it would seem to be available from Powershell, but it's not available from the Plugin.

We wish to expose this so that we can add a code coverage quality gate on Pull requests.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The name for localdb appears to be sqlchangeautomation_ + a guid. I'm using Azure Devops deployment using sql change automation, when I use an agent name that is longer than 4 characters and use localdb in the build, I get an error message that states there is a path error. The generated localdb name is in the pattern sqlchangeautomation_ + a guid. This causes by builds to fail because part of the path is longer than 256 characters when the product is putting the necessary object into the user temp directory. if the pattern for generating…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Using the SCA SSMS plugin, the Version Control tab makes it very clear that you need to click "Push", but not so clear that you should commit changes before pushing. It would be helpful if it warned that you haven't commiited anything rather than just quietly saying "Push Successful".

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The sqldoc executable has a filetype parameter that allows you to change the generated documentation's file type. Could you add the filetype parameter to the new-databaseDocumentation cmdlet to enable flexibility on the documentation type that is inside the build artifact? I realize that I could probably build the documentation on my own via the sqldoc command line, but I feel like if I'm going to just use the individual command lines it defeats the purpose of the module! Based on the initial pass I took through the schemaDocumentation object structure - I am optimistic that this is a reasonable ask.…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Could you please add svn integration to Change Automation SSMS plugin.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?