Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gyorgy Pocsi responded

There was a bug in the first EA, which caused problems when trying to do the initial commit for large number of objects. It’s now fixed, please get the latest version.

2. When we look at the RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml file, it appears as one long line of text. Merging this is nigh on impossible because the one line conflicts. It would be nice if it was written in a pretty xml format to help with merging

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. We have views with schemabinding set to true in SQL2008, SQL Source Control does not recognize that there is a dependency and throws and error.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  James Billings responded

Having tested this out, the product does handle the schemabinding option on views. If a table needs to be rebuilt, it will alter the view to remove the schemabinding, update the table, then alter the view again to put the setting back.

The specific problem here was unable to be determined after following up with Nick and may have just been a one-off.

4. Apparently SSC creates temporary workspaces when being called from SQL Compare (when using a source controlled version of the database as the source of the comparison), but it doesn't seem to clean up after itself completely. When I go to manage my workspaces in TFS, it is currently showing that I have over 50 temporary workspaces that were created by SSC. I can't swear to it, but I think this may have caused issues with our builds, as I have observed at one point that I inadvertently checked code files out to one of these temporary workspaces instead of my…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. According to Red Gate support, migration scripts only run when using SQL Compare, not when using Get Latest within SQL Source Control. Therefore if I have data, real or test, in every development instance, the Get Latest tab is useless in the product and I must use SQL Compare to deploy the changes. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to just run the migration script when using Get Latest.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Migration scripts are used in SQL Source Control when Getting Latest. Once you click on the “Get Latest” button, you should recieve a warning about the migration script. If it fails, there will be an option to edit the script it was trying to run. The best thing to do is review the script and execute it in SSMS. If there’s an error, it may be a syntax error within the migration script. Once it is corrected, you can execute the script, then refresh the Get Latest tab and you should be in synch.

I’m sorry about the confusion.

6. I have a table called My_Table.

I should be able to just type "mytab" and have Sql prompt recognize that as an option in intellisense, like devart SQL Complete does. Currently, it gives me no suggestions.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. In the "Link to source control" screen there are a number of options.

We use branches, so our working folder is always the most relevant to what we are doing.

When we point the link to the WorkingFolder, everything is great, however, the "Migrations" tab is not available for this type of connection.

This is a pity, because we need to create a migration script that will update the main trunk, when we merge our branch back in.

Please enable the Migrations feature for the "Workingfolder" type of link.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! You can now create migrations scripts even when you’re using working folders.

If you don’t have SQL Source Control installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

8. When committing changes to source control, the 'Include Dependencies' check box is set to true. Can this default behavior be changed to false?
    OR
    Can the user have the option to set the default behavior?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest frequent-update version of SQL Source Control (4.0.6.179) allows you to default the checkbox behaviour to off. To do this, you’ll need to edit your UI Options file (RedGate_SQLSourceControl_CommonUI_UIOptions.xml) which you’ll find in localappdata\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 4 and add a tag called IncludeDependenciesCheckbox, like this:

False

If the value is false, then the checkbox will be un-set by default.
  9. My databases have the same name on the production server, the dev server and my local machine.

Sadly Source Control shows me only the database name in the upper right conor of its main window. And because there is neither a status bar nor the server name in the tab name, I'm often unsure which database exactly it compares at the moment.

PS: I know, it is the one with the one with the light-gray-on-white-background in the object explorer, if I scoll up to the database level, but the scrolling is annoying and I have to look twice to see…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This should be available in our next frequent channel update (on/after August 19).

10. After I connect to a database, everything works very intuitively. In fact it's so intuitive that I see my account used for commits, but I'm not sure where it found my login credentials. Is there a way to use a different set of credentials if you have multiple svn accounts?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Message shown after Registering Live Database stage of refreshing display.

Failed to update:

oEc.#8Jf: Failed to locate the target table [dbo].[tbNMI] for the FKtbNMINSRDtbNMI foreign key. ---> RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.SqlCompareException: Failed to locate the target table [dbo].[tbNMI] for the FKtbNMINSRDtbNMI foreign key. ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 1435, offset:37 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 211, offset:38 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 1369, offset:0 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 210, offset:30 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 213, offset:38 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 773, offset:61 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 757, offset:31 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 771, offset:14 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 1514, offset:36

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. It would be great if it would be possible to create a database from source control using the command line interface (or some api).

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Integration with SQL Refactor is crucial. Smart Rename should be noted by SQL Source Control and a commit should do a rename on the object in SVN to keep commit comments.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. This release of Red Gate SQL Source control...has expired. I tried to download a newer version but I am getting the same message.

Please help me out...I would like to test your product.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Can you let us know, in the general ballpark, what a normal user license will cost?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control is included in both the SQL Toolbelt and SQL Developer Bundle.

SQL Source Control is also available to purchase separately.

There are multi-user discounts available.

SQL Source Control will be licensed per user.

Please see our website for more information:
    SQL Toolbelt – http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_professional_toolbelt
    SQL Developer Bundle – http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_bundles/sql_developer_bundle.htm
    SQL Source Control – http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_source_control

If you have any questions about your current licenses or would like a quote on the bundles mentioned above, please see our website or contact Sales@red-gate.com.

16. Hello,

we use SQL Compare and Subversion. We have already checked in a SQL Compare Script Folder. It would be great if you can use that Script Folder for link a database. In the actual Version there comes the error message that a project file for SQL Source Control is missing.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. In SourceGear Vault there is a repository setting that forces the user to enter a BugID when checking in changes "Require BugID for Checkins".

SQL Source Control doesn't seem to honor this setting. It doesn't prompt you for a BugID, nor does it stop you from committing changes despite not having a BugID.

We rely on that feature, and would really like to see it incorporated into SQL Source Control.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I dropped a sp and I would like to know in which version I dropped it (I'm entering our version number in the comments)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Provide a way to link a change during commit to defect in TFS and show it in the history window

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. We don't have our schemas in source control so every time we commit code the dependencies screen comes up warning us that the schemas are not in source control. Every time we commit we have to uncheck the box and hit continue. You should allow users to suppress the commit dependencies warning screen and automatically do not commit the dependencies.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest frequent-update version of SQL Source Control (4.0.6.179) allows you to default the checkbox behaviour to off. To do this, you’ll need to edit your UI Options file (RedGate_SQLSourceControl_CommonUI_UIOptions.xml) which you’ll find in localappdata\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 4 and add a tag called IncludeDependenciesCheckbox, like this:

False

If the value is false, then the checkbox will be un-set by default.
  • Don't see your idea?