Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

245 results found

1. When comparing a TFS Changeset in SQL Compare it will show all schema changes that are different between the Changeset and the destination, but within a TFS Changeset, there is metadata within the Changeset to indicate which specific database objects are being changed within the Changeset. It would be a huge timesaver to allow SQL Compare to be able to only select the database objects that are actually being impacted by the Changeset by default. The situation I have is this:

Developer 1 - Adds a table to database A and checks in the change to the development database, but…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Display last change dates of repository for databases under SQL Source Control.

And display also last schema change date from database.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add an additional "Compare all" button to compare all projects in the actual "Look in" folder. Show a simple is equal/different indicator on each project for the results.

Consider using VS-style solution files or kind of meta-scp.

This is somewhat similar to https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare/suggestions/13517250-auto-compare-after-oping-a-project-mass-compare

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add an option to DO NOT DROP missing fields in the target, this way I'm just adding missing fields from the source.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The tool will try to rebuild the whole table even when the only thing needed is the addition of one column. If you need it, I can send an image of the comparison results. To work around it, I search for rebuilds within the generated script and substitute them by the needed command, specially if the table is a very large one.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Currently the Deployment Wizard only allows for all dependencies to be specified, or not. If I know a specific dependency to be problematic (will fail the overall deployment if selected) my only options are to not deploy dependencies (not good) or to generate a migration script and step through it a bit at a time or remove references for the dependencies I need to skip, which can be cumbersome when dealing with many changes. It would be nice to be able to choose all dependencies (current option), specify not to deploy dependencies (currently an option), or incrementally check on or…

74 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. A table on server 1 has 2 indexes. The same table on server 2 has 4 indexes. Depending on the order that the script generates the DDL the compare might show all 4 indexes as different/new where it should show 2 as the same and 2 new.

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I use SQL Compare very rarely. Most of the time I use it to find the differences between two databases with different structure version. And therefore I need to see in a blink of an eye what dml triggers are missing or outdated or whatever. Currently there is no possibility to filter for table objects like dml triggers.
    It would be very nice if there is an option to restrict the view depending on sub elements like Index, Column, Collation, Trigger.
    Maybe it would be enough if the seach bar at the top would also search the SQL view of…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. It would be nice to be able to use RGSC to compare such objects by re-mapping. A recent change allows doing this, but with tables only. All other objects would be a helpful touch.
    This could be useful for several scenarios, including demonstrating a proposed change to a current version. We also sometimes end up with different test versions of objects that differ slightly with less than helpful comments. (b/c all our devs' code is self documenting!)

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. We're using MS Data Sync Services which makes heavy use of versioned tables and triggers to populate these tables. The objects are named x.x.x.xTableName (example 1.0.0.13Table and 1.0.0.13Tabledeletetrigger. The triggers to populate these objects are placed on the base table (TableName, not x.x.x.xTableName).

To create deployment scripts, I utilize filter rules to remove table names, stored procedures, UDDTs, etc. used by Data Sync Services. However, the DSS triggers placed upon the base table are still scripted out; they are not filtered out as I would expect.

P.S. For those thinking of using Data Sync…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. In SQL Compare make it remember the filter you last choose.

I set up my filters and saved them to a file. Then picked that file in the filter drop down.

The next time I bring up SQL Compare, I have to pick the filter again from the drop down. SQL Compare should remember the last one I used. Or give me the option to remember it like The Project Options allow you to save as My Defaults.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Project level option to script indexes and triggers into their own sub-folders. This allow for a more granular check-in and makes text diffs more clear.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. For safety when moving among servers, I have the desktop backgrounds of my servers color coded as follows:
    My workstation - green
    Other developers' workstations - blue
    Development - yellow
    UAT - orange
    Production - red

In SQL Server Management Studio, I've colored the status bar for any query window in the corresponding servers the same way.

It would be nice if I could color-code the two halves of the "compare to" window in SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare the same way, based on the server/instance name!

Even better, could it pull the color values from some SQL Server…

76 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add the Last Modified Date Column to the Comparison Report, like it's shown in the Application.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When comparing a source controlled database (SSC) to a live database, it would make sense to use the source controlled database's object filter (filter.scpf file) when running the comparison instead of having to manually recreate the filter inside of the SCP project. Also, it would be better if the SCP project stored a link to the filter file used instead of storing the filter string, as it is very inconvenient to have to maintain these separately. If the filter file is changed in SSC, I want SCP to be able to pick up the change automatically.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It would be helpful if the comment header of scripts generated by SQL Compare included the list of Actions present in the Summary tab of the Deployment dialog box.

We keep copies of all Production deployment scripts, but without scanning through the entire script, it can be hard to identify what is going on in each script. Having an option to include that data in the comment header would make it easier for us to track down and review what changes went out with what release.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It can be very useful to add an option for reading from a nuget package store, in addition to "Direct From Source Control" and "Scripts folder".
    The package should be reached unsing the http url. This is useful when reading from a build server outcome, which can upload the packages to the nuget store.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Please add an option in the UI of SQL Compare to include static data. This would be equivalent to the command-line option "Include:StaticData"

If selected it would compare and deploy data changes to the target DB (along with the schema changes), and ideally it could also link the static data table in the target DB if not already linked. Use case is where a new table is created and linked in a dev branch and you want to deploy to trunk.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. There are cases when for continuous intergration we use Visual Studio Project 2013 to build our databses. Sometimes we need to use database variables these look like: [$(DatabaseName)]. Though Visual Studio can recognize it as a variable, redgate will not and will output that as it is for deployment or comparison.There need to be an option where these variables can be ignored or output using the variable name which is specified in the project.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?