Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

245 results found

1. I would love to have the option to ignore the StatisticsIncremental setting on indexes much the way "Ignore StatisticsNoRecompute" works. I currently have two DBs - one has this option on all indexes and one has it on none. Currently SQL Compare flags all indexes as different even with "Ignore Statistics" turned on. The only option is to ignore Indexes entirely which isn't practical because those are the most frequently changing objects between the DBs. I'm currently still using SQL Compare 10 because it does not pick up the Statistics_Incremental option but I would love to be able…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I would like to suggest that SQL compare tool also have to support SSIS package compare. Currently I am at the position that I have to compare SSIS packages between two servers and find out if any SSIS packages missing plus if any SSIS packages on old version etc. Currently I am talking about SSIS packages reside in MSDB but even if it can be compare between file system, that will be great.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. My usual diff-ing tool (BeyondCompare), allows me to pick which, from a list of differences, I want to go through to a final version. I guess you might call this more of a merge-conflict-resolver than a diff-tool.

What is great about this, is that when changes have been made on both sides, I can take the 'best of both', and make sure that those go through to the final output.

Now, you might say, 'how indisciplined', to have had changes on both sides. But I've found that here, as elsewhere, absolute discipline is an aspiration, but not the answer to…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I'd really like this ignore option, so that [UserA].[Table] on the left hand side would match with [dbo].[Table] on the right hand side. There obviously needs to be a warning that this won't work unless table names are unique between owners/schemas (which, in my experience, they usually are).

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. We have 3 environments for one of our core applications. Each environment has a different database name: dbproto, dbuat, and db_live for an example.

We keep all the SP, Views, and Functions we develop in a separate database so at no time do we alter the database supplied by the vendor. This database name is the same in all three environments.

Because of the name difference for the vendor database all the SP, Views, and Functions are flagged as different. The only difference for 95%+ of them have is the database name (eg dbproto vs dbuat).

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When remote using Windows Remote Desktop, the main application window is not resizable. The resize cursor does not show when hovering over the edges or corners, and I cannot click and drag to change the size.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. For example, add an "IF" as below:

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals where name = 'xxx\yyyyyy')
    CREATE USER [xxx\yyyyyy] FOR LOGIN [xxx\yyyyyy]
    GO

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Provide more support for resizing the app window...not the instance window ...that fine. The app window expands to the whole screen....this gives me the irrates as I need to get at stuff behind the SQL compare window

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. It is an option in sql replication to map rowversion/timestamp columns to binary(8) columns. It would be a nice option for sql compare to allow for this difference between databases. Without it every table is flagged up as being different which is a headache.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Using SQL Compare version 11 for Microsoft SQL Server, I can exclude a user from the schema comparison:

<exclude>Role:MyCustomUser</exclude>

This works fine for excluding the user.

However, the comparison engine does not exclude the user's mapping to roles. The script includes sp_addrolemember commands for the excluded user.

When excluding a user, I expect their role assignments to also be excluded.

I suspect this behavior may exist with object exclusions for other object dependencies. Have not tested other scenarios.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. It would be really cool if RedGate would consider building an ERD Tool that would allow you to visually design your database schema using drag and drop before deploying to SQL Server (either generating the deployment script or deploying directly from the application)

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Any differences involving usages of SQLCMD variables would be ignored with the option turned on.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add support for comparing two source control commits through the UI.

Currently this requires cloning a second repository to perform the compare.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add an option to ignore the Unicode differences in Extended Properties. SQL Compare currently will differentiate between Extended Property text (e.g., for MS_Description) created as Unicode vs Ansi (e.g., N'My text' vs 'My Text'). SQL will apparently maintain this different even though scripts generated from SSMS always show it as Unicode (with N). Thus, this can cause SQL Compare to show differences between two databases where there is none intended (the description text is identical).

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Have SQL Compare be able to compare database level settings in sys.databases such as isolation level

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I would like to push schema changes to a transactionally replicated database. Now, SQL Compare breaks replication when I push schema changes. Please add support for sprepladdcolumn and sorepldropcolumn rather than ALTER TABLE.

117 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. CDC (Change Data Capture) objects are currently excluded from comparison.

Because SQL Source Control uses SQL Compare behind the scenes, this means that CDC objects cannot be committed to source control, which in turn means that databases containing objects (e.g. views) which reference CDC objects cannot be deployed with SQL CI.

I don't believe that SQL Compare should compare CDC objects by default, but there should be an option to allow it.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It would be great to be able to filter extended properties on other objects than databases. We only want to compare certain extended properties on tables, but the Extended Property Filter only works on database properties.

This is similar to this idea: https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare/suggestions/5680027-ignore-extended-properties-created-by-the-view-des (which would be solved by filtering out "MS_DiagramPane1" on the view)

And suggestion #2 in this forum thread: https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=77849&p=136399

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. In SQL Server management studio you have the ability to add additional connection parameters however there is no ability to be able to specify these in SQL Compare. This is a problem in SQL 2012 when trying to connect to availability group listeners that have replicas in multiple subnets. In order to connect to the availability group listener you need to specify the “MultiSubnetFailover=True” connection property, otherwise it results in a 50/50 chance of connecting successfully.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Need an option/ability to re-compare just one object like table, procedure,view or function etc. If my database contains 1000+ objects, if I modify one of them, there should be right click re-compare menu to just re-compare that one object. Instead of comparing the whole database. Comparing whole database take a bit of time when work remotely. Even though I have filters, it takes quite a bit of time.

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?