Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

242 results found

1. Like configuration settings, security info (logins, server roles...), linked servers, jobs, SSIS catalog info for SQL2012 (folders, environments, security, projects, packages...) etc.

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I have yet to find a tool to compare the contents of two tabs in SSMS.
    Ideal would be the ability to run an executable on the temfiles of two tabs. So the user could use diffmerge or whatever they liked, But any diff-function would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if SQL Compare is the right place, but it could be.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. In order to create a rollback script, we currently need to reverse the direction of deployment, save the rollback script, cancel the deployment, change the direction, then proceed with deployment in the correct direction. It would be great if the same screen on the Deployment Wizard would allow you to save BOTH a change script and a rollback script.

102 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When selecting the option to open the deployment script in SSMS Compare opens a new instance of SSMS for each script that you generate.

In place of that would it be possible to open the scripts in an existing SSMS instance that is open already? This would make things a lot easier when generating multiple scripts.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I'd like to be able to compare two databases, yet ignore certain column defaults in my comparison

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Today, SQL Compare allows for two options when selecting a version of a source control data source - latest (head), or any other change set. It would be great if there was a third option: to select a version by label. We use labels as a means for controling which code is promoted from development to test to production. Anything ready to promote is labeled as “build ready.” It would be great to use this build ready label when selecting the version from the repository.

57 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When comparing a VS 2012 database project to a database, when the only difference is ALTER vs. CREATE (which happens because a stored procedure ALTER was executed directly, then saved) the comparison fails. An option to ignore this difference would be very handy.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I tried to install the SQL Tool belt trial numerous times but was blocked each time saying the Redgate Client service could not be stopped. I tried to stop it manually but that did not work. I called support but they just sent an email telling me to stop the service. What part of "I can't stop the service" did they not understand?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When generating a comparison to validate/review a deployment, you may use a fairly complex filter to identify the objects to deploy.

If you generate a report to send/configure to a third party, the filter settings you used to generate the comparison are not shown/output (looking at the Active HTML output specifically, but may be true across other formats).

The criteria used for the comparison are integral to the information being generated and should therefore be represented.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When you right click on an object to see the deployment script and other options, include options for running immediately the script to target database. (to make it more interesting,to run the change script to any of the 2 compared databases).
    Also, this should be dome on the right and left scripts at the bottom of the page.
    Thanks

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make the script for execution writable. It would be faster to be edited in you editor that is already connected to the target database and saves time . The alternatives (save or copy) are more time consuming

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I've encountered this, especially with default constraints. I generate a change script. I run it on a system. Something happens that causes the script to fail. I fix the problem, but then it fails the second time because the default constraints it is trying to create are already there!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The only difference in our comparison of the numerous tables is the "WITH EXECUTE AS CALLER". Add option that will allow to ignore this options

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Both SQL Source Control and SQL Compare tell me how many objects are excluded by the filter. I can click on the link (button in SQL Compare) to see my filter settings. What I do not seem to be able to do is view the diff for excluded objects. Can you please add a button (or similar) to the UI of SQL Source Control and SQL Compare, that will allow me to toggle the diff table content between included and excluded objects.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. This option exists in SQL Compare but not SQL Data Compare.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please give an option to ignore Recore tables creation. I am trying to use SQLCompare in DevOps model to avoid long release timings. But if there is any data type change to a huge table then current concept of creation of recovery tables is disabling all the FK's, removing indexes and eventually creating a new table. This is very long process and not benefitting the projects. There should be an option to avoid the creation of Recovery tables. Please think in that perspective.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When applying data compression differences (table or index), use rebuild partition or rebuild index rather than drop & create, both to minimize impact, and in the case of primary keys on replicated tables, avoid failure because replicated tables can't be dropped.
    e.g.,
    ALTER TABLE schema.TableName REBUILD PARTITION = ALL WITH (DATACOMPRESSION = PAGE);
    ALTER INDEX [IndexName] ON schema.TableName REBUILD PARTITION = ALL WITH (DATA
    COMPRESSION=PAGE);

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When deciding to synchronize some objects, at the first screen of the wizard must exist a check-box for not checking for dependencies, if checked (also I would like this to be the default behavior). This should allow the wizard not even to check for dependencies, which could be faster

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Replicated (push) tables do not contain default column constraints on the subscriber which are identified as breaks within SQL Compare 10. Provide the ability to ignore DEFAULT(X) properties on column within the UI.

99 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. There are some changes that are riskier than others, not because of the type of change, but because of the object. For example, some changes require rebuilding a table or index. This can be a simple process if there are a few hundred rows, but it's a risky, slow process if there are a few billion.

It would be nice to add a "risk" value to certain tables, so that when I see a list of changes, I can determine if this particular object ought to be separated out as a different deployment.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?