Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

69 results found

1. SQL Compare (and SQL Data Compare) still don't save their position on last close. It will always start in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I know this was reported before and it is shown as fixed but I'm running 12.0.30.3199 and it's still a problem on a fully patched Win7 Pro computer.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Michael,

This was fixed in 12.0.32.3340 which is currently available on our frequent updates channel. You can switch on frequent updates by following the guide below. This change will be rolled into a default release later this month.

http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SC12/Turning+on+Frequent+Updates

If you are still encountering issue with the start up positioning of the application following this update please could you get in contact with our support team by emailing support@red-gate.com.

Regards,
    David

2. When using compare to create out db rollout packages, we also create the rollback by changing the deployment direction. There is a bug where I could have items selected. Then I change the direction and no items are selected. Also had at one point where I selected a table did both directions. Unchecked the table then selected 2 sprocs. Changed the direction and it unchecked the 2 sprocs and reselected the table. This causes much headache and time to our process. Potentially we could miss items for our rollback solution and not know it until a time or rollback. Also…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Sam Blackburn responded

We think we’ve fixed this in the latest Frequent Update version, 12.0.32.3340. Does this version work for you?

3. The Project Browser, that could be opened at startup, was replaced in Compare 12 with a much less useful standard Open File Dialog. Please bring back the browser. See also, https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=80066

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I sent two crash reports today. (Unhappily the first time I ran version 12.) It did not describe or let me see what was being sent. I don't really feel comfortable with that. I'd like to know what is being sent before I send any more reports.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As of SQL Compare and Data Compare 12.2.4, the exception report dialog has a “view report data” button which will allow you to view the exact data which would be submitted to Redgate.

We primarily added this feature to ensure users could assess any possible impact on their privacy, although the feature could also be used to dig through the data and recover the table name our support engineers found.

At time of writing, 12.2.4 is on our frequent updates channel, and we expect to release the feature to default channel soon.

5. Table tblTableA with field fldFieldA is renamed tblTableB and field fldFieldB.
    Then map tables between two different databases.
    Script snippet generated in renaming field is something like:
    IF (COLLENGTH(N'[dbo].[tblTableA]', N'fldFieldA) IS NOT NULL) AND (COLLENGTH(N'[dbo].[tblTableB]', N'fldFieldB') IS NULL)
    EXEC sp_rename N'[dbo].[tblTableB].[fldFieldA]', N'fldFieldB', N'COLUMN'
    GO
    Obviously I have omitted other script details, but hopefully you get the idea, that this will not work as the table has been renamed.

Rob

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: It turns out this bug was really easy to fix – we’ve released it to our Frequent updates channel.

Cheers,
    Sam.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your feedback. I’ve managed to reproduce this issue locally and I’ve logged it with reference number SC-8948.

I’m going to close this user voice request since this is for a bug rather than a new feature. (We track these in a slightly different way and want to make sure we triage this appropriately). If you’d like to track the progress of this fix please get in contact with our support team by emailing support@red-gate.com.

Cheers,
    David

6. I think it would be great if once you create a script from SQL Compare you would add the 'use db_name' as the first line to ensure the script gets ran on the correct database. Often I send my scripts to other teams to run and this will ensure they are running the script on the correct database. I believe SQL Data Compare already does htis after you create a script. Keep up the good and I can't say enough about how awesome your tool set is!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. If you check or uncheck an item to sync the scroll position gets reset to the top of the screen and have to manually scroll down to your previous position. Very annoying.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. We have 3 servers with 3 databases in each, so a total of 9 possible connections. The "Recently used" dropdown only displays 6. So I am forced to click the "Browse source control..." option, which results in a lot of clicks to navigate down the tree to the proper location.

How do I add more items to “Recently used” drop down?

It would save me a ton of time if this drop down could remember just 3 more.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. The main window always opens taller than my screen. I then have to close the modal project window to re-position the main window. The program should remember where the main program window was if not maximized when closing so it opens in same position next time.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Just adding USE [database] on top of the script will help people to guarantee the changes are not deployed to the wrong database, especially when you just copy/paste into SSMS

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. With Azure SQL Database there is an option to connect by Azure AD account. It is one of the first citizen authentication type in Microsoft Management Studio 2016.

I suggest adding this types of authentication into RedGate products (especially into Compare and Data Compare).

Details here: https://azure.microsoft.com/cs-cz/documentation/articles/sql-database-aad-authentication/

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Tugberk responded

Hi!

As part of v12.4.9 release (frequent updates release), SQL Data Compare and SQL Compare now support Azure Active Directory authentication with integrated and password authentication methods. These options are available in the ‘Authentication’ dropdown in the ‘Database’ section of the ‘Edit project’ window. Note that this feature requires .NET 4.6 and adalsql.dll to be installed; see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-aad-authentication-configure#configure-your-client-computers for more details

Let us know what you think!

13. When I want to rename a column I save a script with the ALTER clause.
    The functionality that automatically maps columns can be really annoying and can cause incorrect renames in production databases. I would really like to be able to disable this functionality. I also think that it shouldn't be turned on by default.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Used to have SQL Compare on SSMS, went on this morning to find it gone from the menus. Now have to reset the tool in my SSMS menu.

Went to the SQL Compare help menu to try to figure this out, go to Help / Contents, when I click on this it opens up a web page at the following location - http://help.red-gate.com/help/SQLCompare11/help_4.aspx?lang=en - which is not a valid page - gives me a "Server Error in '/help' Application. - Runtime Error" page.

What gives?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Jonathan Watts responded

Hi there Phil,

Sorry you experienced an issue with SQL Compare. We hadn’t updated part of the help site after some recent changes. We have just updated and it should be fixed now.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Watts

- SQL Compare Team
    - Software Test Engineer

15. I have table A with named default constraints and a named PK, table B is identical except the defaults and PK do not have a name.

When I run the deployment script to make table B the same as table A it does not handle the primary key and generates an error:

Msg 1779, Level 16, State 0, Line 1
    Table 'tableA' already has a primary key defined on it.

I also note there is a link at the top of the screen to report bug, however when I click it (http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=154) I get the message "The forum…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Pls ignore constraint names in schema compare. I don't want to ignore the constraint itself just the name

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature already exists – there are two relevant Compare options: Ignore constraint and index names, and Ignore system named constraint and index names. These are described in more detail in http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SC11/Setting+project+options#Settingprojectoptions-Ignoreconstraintandindexnames

If this does not work correctly for you, please e-mail support@red-gate.com and let us know what’s going wrong.

17. Currently SQL Compare detects the order of columnstores as a difference. Columnstores have been around for a while now, can't this please get fixed?

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Currently, SQL Compare seems to map columns are they are listed in the table which results in incorrect mapping when new columns are added in between of existing columns.
    SQL Compare should attempt to map using the column name first.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Deal With Schema Bound Objects. SQL Compare 10.4.8 fails to deal with objects that are schema bound, so attempts to drop objects that have schema-bound dependencies causing an error.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I'm documenting my databases using extended properties on the database level, and I've tried various options, but I can't find how to compare the database extended properties. We have dev, test, and production environments, so I need to sync these properties between the environments so they don't get lost when restoring dbs between them.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?