Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

69 results found

1. If the only difference between two tables is column order, the the table shows under Identical Objects section. But if column order AND something else is different, the comparison window hilights the out-of-order column.

170 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I know weird to with a MS SQL Server, but many people who have been on the platform for a while now have developers with Macs, and automation systems on linux. DLM Automation is pricing some of us out of the Redgate ecosystem. With SQL server now running on Linux seems a reasonable path. I sure hope our beloved sql compare is not going away :(

160 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ability to format the source and destination code to ensure compare is using the same structure.

157 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Our indexes are tuned and maintained in production. Database development is done elsewhere and moved using SQL Compare. Therefore we don't want to compare indexes. However, if we don't compare indexes, then the primary keys are not created. If we do compare indexes, there is a real risk that production will be damaged.
    This problem could be prevented by treating primary key indexes differently from other indexes. That this is even necessary is an implementation quirk of SQL Server.

126 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Andrew Farries responded

In SQL Compare 12.2.3.4239, released today, we have made a start on giving users more fine grained control over exactly which indexes are deployed.

We have added a new `Ignore performance indexes’ option which will ignore all indexes except primary keys and unique constraints.

We realise that there is more we can do in this area, so we would like to hear your feedback about whether this new option is helpful and how we can do more.

Feedback on this feature can be posted on the forum thread:

https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/80770/new-feature-ignore-performance-indexes

5. I use Azure SQL, and there is limited cross-database functionality in that environment. Due to this I have several External Tables that I use to point to a Master Database with shared setting, info, etc. for each customer database.

When I used SQL Compare to fill out the schema for a new database it copied all of the External Tables as Local Tables, and it didn't bring over the Data Source either. This could be very handy as dealing with external tables (and especially changes to them) is a pain.

119 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Simple really, allow an option to ignore the change tracking options on tables

111 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Michelle Taylor responded

We’ve added an Ignore Change Tracking option in Frequent Update 13.4.2.6669 (now available on the main update channel in 13.4.8.7337).

You should be able to get this version now with Check for Updates if you have a valid support and upgrades contract.

7. I've asked for this many times since SQL Compare 7.

Please allow us to see the Last Modified Date on the objects. The information is VERY easily obtained.

select objectid, Modifydate from sys.objects where type='P'

It would be very useful and beneficial to see.

105 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Andrew Farries responded

We have just released an update to SQL Compare V12 on the Frequent Updates channel containing this feature. For tables, views, functions and stored procedures the comparison grid will show an extra column indicating when the object’s schema last changed.

Feedback on this is best posted on the forums:

https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=80289

We are interested in hearing whether this solves your problems and about any further improvements we can make.

8. Support Azure AD auth using MFA

93 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. First this may be more apparent as tedious in my case, we happen to have large tables with decent sized indexes. I would appreciate if through the setup of a SQL Compare project I could impact index create or rebuild behavior through the selection of on\off toggle for the switches that are available upon creation of an index.

I use some options more than others with the most frequently added option being SORTINTEMPDB = ON. I use this because when building large indexes I want to try and avoid as much as possible any unintended file growth by…

78 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. With Azure SQL Database there is an option to connect by Azure AD account. It is one of the first citizen authentication type in Microsoft Management Studio 2016.

I suggest adding this types of authentication into RedGate products (especially into Compare and Data Compare).

Details here: https://azure.microsoft.com/cs-cz/documentation/articles/sql-database-aad-authentication/

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Tugberk responded

Hi!

As part of v12.4.9 release (frequent updates release), SQL Data Compare and SQL Compare now support Azure Active Directory authentication with integrated and password authentication methods. These options are available in the ‘Authentication’ dropdown in the ‘Database’ section of the ‘Edit project’ window. Note that this feature requires .NET 4.6 and adalsql.dll to be installed; see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-aad-authentication-configure#configure-your-client-computers for more details

Let us know what you think!

12. (This is actually relevant to both SQL Compare and SQL Source Control.)

We really need to be able to distinguish between unique and non-unique indexes when comparing, checking in, and deploying database schema changes. ("Unique indexes" include primary keys, unique constraints, and unique indexes on tables and unique indexes on views; "non-unique indexes" include non-unique indexes on tables and views.)

Unique indexes are essential to the database development process. They make a significant functional difference to the behavior of the database: they enforce business rules and referential integrity; they limit the data that can be entered into the database; foreign…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Since default constraint names are system generated, they may have the same defintion but a different name.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The ‘Ignore System named constraint and index names’ option should address this issue, unless I’ve misunderstood?

14. Create a 64-bit version of SQL Compare.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. The ability to include an option for 'IF EXISTS' based on the object type. The IF EXISTS would need to be generated per database object. This would greatly assist in cases where you have 'similar' yet slightly different environments that you expect to be the same, yet may have had a patch applied early etc.

You would need to be able to specify whether you drop and recreate, leave alone, or anything else that might make sense.

Thanks,

Nick

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Dynamic masking functionality is new to SQL 2016. It is applied on columns.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/dynamic-data-masking

Great for DEV and UAT environments where data obscurity is required.

CREATE TABLE Membership

(MemberID int IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY,

FirstName varchar(100) MASKED WITH (FUNCTION = 'partial(1,"XXXXXXX",0)') NULL, *ignore these

LastName varchar(100) NOT NULL,

Phone# varchar(12) MASKED WITH (FUNCTION = 'default()') NULL,

Email varchar(100) MASKED WITH (FUNCTION = 'email()') NULL);

Ideally we need this ignored in SQL Compare and SQL Source control comparisons so it is not accidentally deployed to production.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Currently SQL Compare detects the order of columnstores as a difference. Columnstores have been around for a while now, can't this please get fixed?

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The Project Browser, that could be opened at startup, was replaced in Compare 12 with a much less useful standard Open File Dialog. Please bring back the browser. See also, https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=80066

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I have have set "My Default" options then these should always be used, regardless of how I come to the project (but especially for any new projects). Currently if I launch SQL Compare from SSMS integration the Red Gate Default options are used.

Steps to reproduce:
    Select a database, right click > Schema Compare / Deploy
    Drag a database over for the Target
    Compare/Deploy with SQL Compare

Expected:
    SQL Compare uses "My Default" options
    (I have Ignore > Permissions)

Actual:
    SQL Compare uses Red Gate Default options

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. xml, html and excel reports for database differences (using options) include everything similarities as well as differences. Since, xml is excellent way to import data to SQL, it would be great if those reports included only differences (so that the file size is smaller). Right now the differences can only be output to text file if I am not mistaken.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When you generate a report, there is a check box just above the last line in the dialog ‘Also include identical objects’ – if you uncheck this, then only differences will be output in your report.

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?