Skip to content

SQL Data Compare

Welcome to the SQL Data Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Data Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-data-compare/

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Data Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=201 or our support portal.

SQL Data Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• or

71 results found

1. Fix the link on the this page (How can we improve SQL Data Compare) that suggests to visit the forums at http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=145 (says forums doesn't exist)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Paul Stephenson responded

Thanks for your report. I’ve updated the link to the correct SQL Data Compare forum URL.

2. Enable Transaction Isolation Option like in SQL Compare. In SQL Compare you can set the transaction level to one of five options. This is needed in SQL Data Compare to eliminate blocking.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I don't see why the tables have to reside in different databases, backup, source control, or scripts folder in order to run SQL Data Compare.

It wouldn't be much fuzz to add the ability to compare two tables regardless (i.e. in the same database). Sometimes I just need to divide the common traits from the differences, in order to plan some work.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When a database has calculated fields, SQL Data Compare seems to process them and it takes a long time. Since these fields are calculated, they will never be updated so these should be ignored. At this time, we have to un-select each calculated field to improve on performance.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow data from one source table to be mapped to 2 or more destination tables. Due to requirement changes we needed to split data from one table in to two separate tables but data compare will only map one source table to one destination table. Some data has to be duplicated on both tables and some belongs to one or other of the new tables.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. On Windows 7, the edges of the SQL Data Compare window don't seem to allow window resizing, and there's no visible border separating the window from the background.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. We have a scenario where table ‘abc’ in database1 is split to new tables ‘def‘ , ‘ghi’ and ‘jkl’ in database2. It is very complicated to map the tables, columns and choose a stable primary key to verify the new tables with the old table.
    And so we need to be able to join the tables to generate the data to verify old and new tables.

It would be very nice to have a feature to run the query for database1 and query for database2 and compare the results.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Sometimes when copying data from server to server I need to change soemthing in the deployment script (e.g. replace a guid with another guid for a FK to work). Please allow editing the script before running it through Data Compare (currently I have to copy it, edit it and run it manually)

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When we upgrade an application, say by adding tables, we use frequently use SQL Data Compare to move the data from the old database to the new, upgraded database. It would be great to be able to migrate the CDC data for the tables in the original version of the database to the new version!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Originally introduced in this thread: https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/comment/149220#Comment_149220

This is a common problem for us when using Data Compare. Parent table has unique constraint on a char field alongside an identity field which also serves as a one-to-many foreign key in the child table. The child table uses an identity field to distinguish each row but there's no guarantee the id's will be the same across databases so only the parent can be matched but the child table only has the parent_id identity fk which is not a viable comparison key.

My proposed solution would be to allow user to define…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. My primary usage as QA is to use some DB as a baseline, run old code against it, run new code against it, and compare the results. Most of the differences are the times that records were updated or other time related fields. I am only interested in the data differences. All of the datetime field differences clutter the comparison and increase my analysis time by about a factor of 20.
    I know I could go in and manually find all of the datetime fields in each of the 300-600 tables (depending on the DB) and un-check all the datetime…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. This improvement is similar to https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/147879-sql-data-compare/suggestions/4157645-exclude-special-schema-from-datacompare, but I would like to sketch the idea out a little further.

SQL Data Compare should provide a filtering option that allows the user to exclude entire schemas from comparison, or to exclude tables explicitly. This can be done somewhat at the schema level by unmapping an Owner.

But this doesn't provide the feedback on the main screen that I would like to see. There should be an additional Type on the main screen named "Deselected for comparison". Tables or schemas that are not mapped shouldn't be put into…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Data Compare almost always fails because of frequent (but short) network outages. If we could specify the timeout, this problem would be solved.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SQL Compare can exclude tSQLt-related objects. SQL Data Compare should have a similar facility, at least for parity with SQL Compare and also to reduce false positives in the result

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. On the New or Edit Projects popup, when user selects the "Remember Credentials" option for server, also remember the Encrypt and Trust Server Certificate Settings for that server and database combination.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Today, empty tables that have no rows appear in the list of "xxx tables or views with identical rows only". It would be more accurate to split this list into tables/views with data that are identical and table/views that are empty.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Exporting the comparison results as excel file with customization:

We are using Redgate trial version of "SQL Data Compare 14" using command line for the past couple of days for the data comparison work. As of now I understand that while exporting the comparative data in excel, each table result will be available in individual excel and the report summary for the consolidated tables. I want to know whether I can change the format of the excel file which is generated (excel customization). If so, please let me know how to do that process also I have attached the format…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I have written were clauses for about 100 tables for data sync. while I do not want to sync just yet I do want to make sure I have no typos in the where clauses. Please add some option to run a "select top 1 where ..." from each table marked for comparison so I can fast check for where clause errors (currently I have to wait for each table to completely compare and if I have typos in the where clause of table 98 it will take me long time to find this out)

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide an option (in gui and command line) to add a CHANGETRACKINGCONTEXT to the generated deployment script.

This is helpful when using sql change tracking for synchronization to manage whether the changed made under a provided CHANGETRACKINGCONTEXT need to be synchronized or not.

When enabling change tracking we have to make sure that the data in the tables are identical on both sides. Thats were we use SQL Data Compare, but the changes made for that "initial sync" shouldn't be recognized by change tracking for later synchronization.

This would be very easy if you could just…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?