Skip to content

SQL Data Compare

Welcome to the SQL Data Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Data Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-data-compare/

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Data Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=201 or our support portal.

SQL Data Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• or

71 results found

1. When you do a data compare it would be great if you could select to only diff the static data tables and their data so that data in other tables automatically are ignored.

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Any way of adding If not exists to the data script output when comparing data.

225 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Similar to the option to suppress identical rows, I'd like to suppress columns that are identical on both systems. Especially when comparing tables in a DW environment where we may have 10s-100s of columns I'd rather not scroll across the 100 columns that are identical in order to find the one columns where we have differences.

Our primary Data Compare application is to validate data changes in th DEV/QA system by comparing against the good PROD data. These comparisons typically involve large tables (100s of columns, millions of rows)

49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I'm using SQL Data Compare extensively as part of a refactoring project. As we optimize data types we end up with situations where we cannot compare source and destination table data due to mismatching data types. I'd like to request a flag that implements implicit/explicit SQL Server data type conversions. For example, I want to be able to compare and synchronize DATATIME/SMALLDATETIME to DATE or VARCHAR to TINYINT/SMALLINT/INT.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. It would be nice to have the ability to generate a data insert script from a database without having to use SQL Data Compare. Currently, the way I do this is to create a second, empty database with the same schema, perform a data compare operation between the current database and the newly created, empty database, and then generate a deployment script. I wrote an application to do this using the SQL Data Compare API, but it is still problematic because it requires that you build a second database first, which requires that you have…

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Currently if you try compare tables with encrypted columns, you get a cast error. It doesn't tell you that encryption is not supported. In fact it took your help desk two weeks to tell me it doesn't and suggest I post a feature request here. I do not know what mechanism you use to connect to SQL Server, but all of my other SQL Server clients support it seamlessly. That includes ODBC. Even if you didn't want to enable decrypting the data you at least could just allow the comparison on the encrypted values, and let the user worry about…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. It would be tremendously useful if SQL Data Compare would support an option to pull only a subset of data from one database and synchronize it with another. This subset could be keyed off of one or more tables. With the current product the end user must construct their own where clauses in order to perform filtering. Furthermore, this filtering does not seem to check any foreign keys to make sure that related records are pulled. It would be very useful if there were an option to "instruct" SQL Data Compare to follow the foreign keys when filtering on…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The below description moved from https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/147879-sql-data-compare/suggestions/3137395--report-switch-similar-to-that-of-sql-compare:

I would like to see SQL Data Compare get the /report switch like SQL Compare does. With SQL Compare I usually generate an interactive report to store along the generated script in our build process. This allows to review changes packaged into a given build. Having the same kind of reporting capability from SQL Data Compare would allow us to get the full picture of a given build's database changes (for static data, precisely).

112 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Excluding columns from data comprison with options to include them in the deployment script because we need these columns as placeholders

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. This was already discussed on the Red Gate forums in 2007:
    http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5875

As of SQL Data Compare 9.1.0.365, the problem still exists.

From the forum thread:

"""
    I find that very often, a column containing floating point numbers will show as different [in SQL Data Compare], even though visual inspection of the results [in SQL Server Management Studio] shows that it is the same.
    """

It's difficult to know if the data in the float column has actually changed, or if it's just SQL Data Compare making an innacurate comparison.

It reduces my confidence that the data has been synchronized…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Perhaps include an option to allow for data masking / obfuscation in SQL Data Compare.
    I think this will help with moving data from Prod to Dev for example.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Richard Mitchell responded

You may want to investigate our tool SQL Data Generator which can do exactly what you want.

We’ll be looking into making it easier to setup masking so if you’d like to chat about your details requirements please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

12. Provide AWS AMI for Redgate SQL Data compare

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When i am comparing tables with binary data i am limited to Ansi or Unicode Text, Hexidecimal or Picture. We are storing PDF, Word and HTML documents and i would like to be able to view those better to see the differences. If this is not possible how about an export to open the data into the actual application (like an "open with....." option)

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I'd like to store in a Data Compare project file a list of targets that I can select very easily. A target is server+database. It includes credentials as well. I don't want to re-enter them all the time.

I don't want to make many project files for them.

The same is true for a selection of tables and views. I compare very large database and I need different subsets of tables depending on the current task I'm working on.

Again, why a separate project file for them? I don't want that.

Given that I need to vary…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. We use SCA with the following setting:

<SyncOptionIncludeExistenceChecks>True</SyncOptionIncludeExistenceChecks>

Yet when a migration script is created for a table with data tracking enabled, there is no existence check:

PRINT (N'Add 1 row to [dbo].[ReleaseNote]');

SET IDENTITY_INSERT [dbo].[ReleaseNote] ON;

INSERT INTO [dbo].[ReleaseNote] ([ReleaseNoteID], [AppVersionID], [ReleaseNoteText], [DisplaySequence], [DisplayCondition])
    VALUES (14, 4, N'You can now save calculations.', 2, NULL);

SET IDENTITY_INSERT [dbo].[ReleaseNote] OFF;
    GO

I just got an error for the statement above, since the record already existed. Can you please update SCA to apply existence checks to table inserts?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please add this feature when saving projects. It would be useful when the project has not been deployed, but saved for a future deployment or re-review without having to re-select all the tables.

"The project does not remember which tables or rows of data were selected for deployment."

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When I am comparing a SQL Source Control Repository against a DB, we need find an option to only compare tables which are linked for static data in source control.
    This seems like a glaring missing feature, since I now have to create a project that manually maps all the tables that have static data and ignore everything else, and manually update it when new static tables are included in the repository.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The use case for this may be a bit odd but I've had a very big compare to do today - refreshing takes nearly an hour.

Now I'm putting the data from 20 or so tables into another. Trying to pass the contents of all the tables in one transaction blows out the server logs, it's just too many rows.

However, turning off the "use transactions in deployment scripts" option is ignored until I refresh the data. That means waiting nearly an hour before SQL Data Compare will respect the value in the project settings.

That really doesn't make…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The SQL Data Compare GUI is the best way to review differences. I'd like a way to export my results to a file that can be re-imported for others to view, without having to go back through the comparison process.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I should be able to import an SQL Compare project into an SQL Data Compare project to get db names and such, plus table and owner mappings.
    It seems like it would be a frequent thing that a compare and build would be followed by a data migration too.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4