Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. Currently we cannot view history of objects from SSMS using Redgate with Git as repository. I think this is a required feature. Also, we cannot add comments while commiting. Can these two features please be considered to be added in future releases.

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

Viewing Git history and adding comments for commit are now available in SQL Source Control 4.1 and higher. Thanks for your patience!

2. It takes 5mins to update the latest changes on my insanely fast computer. Although getting the latest changes are OK but registering base and calculating changes take ages! Please improve :)

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. There are changes detected to a table in the commit screen, but the details show no changes - even after committing this phantom change, the commit screen still shows that table having changes pending. v3.5.6.338 standard. A few things to note about the table that might help to resolve: The table is a partitioned table, with a Geography data type in it, and also has a ColumnStore index.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

Closing this as it looks like SQL Compare now supports ColumnStore indexes

4. We don't have our schemas in source control so every time we commit code the dependencies screen comes up warning us that the schemas are not in source control. Every time we commit we have to uncheck the box and hit continue. You should allow users to suppress the commit dependencies warning screen and automatically do not commit the dependencies.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  James Billings responded

The latest frequent-update version of SQL Source Control (4.0.6.179) allows you to default the checkbox behaviour to off. To do this, you’ll need to edit your UI Options file (RedGate_SQLSourceControl_CommonUI_UIOptions.xml) which you’ll find in localappdata\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 4 and add a tag called IncludeDependenciesCheckbox, like this:

False

If the value is false, then the checkbox will be un-set by default.
  5. It takes a while to setup all the exclude filters, and this time is worse when the solution to a problem is to unlink and relink. Provide a way to quickly exclude tSQLt content and/or save / restore filters.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. This is just a thought and I am in desperate need.

Can we do a fresh step of a database by using red sql source control.

even we generate a single script from tables and stored procedure folder but constraint will miss match.

Kindly share your views on this.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Anonymous responded

I’m going to mark this as complete, please do contact us if you’re still having issues.

7. SourceGear Vault 7.0 is out and now SQL Source Control no longer works. "Server edition is correct, but the version is wrong."

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Having an option to calculate/determine the synchronizing between source control and local objects can be triggered with a button action rather than automatically starting this process when the source control tab is in focus.

317 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I like the ability to right click on a single item and select commit to source control. However, when doing this SQL Source control calculates all of the changes in the database. Can the behavior be changed here to only show the changes for the object selected to commit?

Thanks

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Even though we calculate all the changes, only the object you right-clicked on should be checked. (It should also be scrolled into view, if you have a long list.) Therefore, you can commit just this 1 object.

10. Please add support for the current version of svn (1.8)

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I am working on a project that is an enhancement to an existing database that is controlled by an external party. I am referencing objects that I have no control over via foreign keys, presently I cannot commit the foreign keys to source control unless I also commit the dependent objects. I do not want to commit these as I do not control them.

Would it be possible to have some mechanism that permits me to commit my changes without the dependencies, something like an override checkbox for the default behavior that will also place messages in the notification box…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  James Billings responded

The latest frequent-update version of SQL Source Control (4.0.6.179) allows you to default the checkbox behaviour to off. To do this, you’ll need to edit your UI Options file (RedGate_SQLSourceControl_CommonUI_UIOptions.xml) which you’ll find in localappdata\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 4 and add a tag called IncludeDependenciesCheckbox, like this:

<IncludeDependenciesCheckbox>False</IncludeDependenciesCheckbox>

If the value is false, then the checkbox will be un-set by default.
  12. In the "Link to source control" screen there are a number of options.

We use branches, so our working folder is always the most relevant to what we are doing.

When we point the link to the WorkingFolder, everything is great, however, the "Migrations" tab is not available for this type of connection.

This is a pity, because we need to create a migration script that will update the main trunk, when we merge our branch back in.

Please enable the Migrations feature for the "Workingfolder" type of link.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! You can now create migrations scripts even when you’re using working folders.

If you don’t have SQL Source Control installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

13. I have a table called My_Table.

I should be able to just type "mytab" and have Sql prompt recognize that as an option in intellisense, like devart SQL Complete does. Currently, it gives me no suggestions.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. We use Code Collaborator to peer review our SQL code before we submit to our version control (Perforce). This is typically done using a pending changelist, which is probably specific to Perforce. However, it would be sufficient to merely have SQL Source checkout and update the files in the working directory before/without committing.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In SQL Source Control v3.4, there is an option to link to a working folder. If you use this option, on the commit tab, you can “save” your changes to the working folder. This scripts out the objects to files. You can then use your own tool to review the changes and add them to the changelist and commit them using your own source control system’s client tool.

15. According to Red Gate support, migration scripts only run when using SQL Compare, not when using Get Latest within SQL Source Control. Therefore if I have data, real or test, in every development instance, the Get Latest tab is useless in the product and I must use SQL Compare to deploy the changes. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to just run the migration script when using Get Latest.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Migration scripts are used in SQL Source Control when Getting Latest. Once you click on the “Get Latest” button, you should recieve a warning about the migration script. If it fails, there will be an option to edit the script it was trying to run. The best thing to do is review the script and execute it in SSMS. If there’s an error, it may be a syntax error within the migration script. Once it is corrected, you can execute the script, then refresh the Get Latest tab and you should be in synch.

I’m sorry about the confusion.

16. This is a bug:
    We recently upgraded source control from 1.x to 3.x.; with the new version the icon that indicates there are changes to commit keeps coming up within minutes after actually doing a commit - and on objects that have NOT undergone a structural change. What's going on? Please fix this.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Provide a way to link a change during commit to defect in TFS and show it in the history window

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. We already have our database in SVN, is there a way to access that repository?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I can find no guidance on filter patterns. We have a lot of "temporary" tables which start with an underscore. We've previously used object filters to exclude anything which starts with an underscore. This now excludes all objects in the database, presumably because it's using SQL wildcards. Is the filter syntax SSC uses specified anywhere?

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gareth Bragg responded

As of SQL Source Control 3.8.13, filter rules now support the standard T-SQL LIKE syntax for wildcard characters (‘%’, ‘_’, ‘[abc]’, and ‘[^abc]’ – see MSDN for details).

To include wildcard characters explicitly in a filter, they can be escaped with square brackets.

‘Equals’ and ‘Does not equal’ operators will not treat those characters as special wildcard characters.

20. I'm missing an option to add credentials to TFS. Is it not there?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?