Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. There need to be some options for how the code is written to source control. We have strict requirements and all our code must go in with a required header to it. It would be perfect if we could put this header in SQL Source so all code coming in would always have it. That way when changes occurred to that header we could more easily make a change. The other more important issue however is user rights assignment. Currently each object stores what user has rights to that object in the database you keep synced with source control. That…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Project management issue tracking software (Gemini, JIRA etc) use BugID to link checkins against issues. This allows for a managers to oversee progress on issues and other things (eg: risk of change, code review etc). The SVN BugID (a checkin property) is how a development code checkin is linked to an issue. Add this, and I can integrate our solutions easier at a CMMI level 3-5

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

For now, enter your BugID into the comment field when you commit changes.

Please continue to vote/comment here if you would like to see a seperate Bug ID box like TSVN has. See James’ comment for more details.

3. Refresh/Commit always is performed on all databse objects. Even if I just change 1 object, I have to wait until all is refresehd, unselect all changes that I don't want (from other objects), commit and then wait again until everything is refreshed.

By default the refresh/update/commit should only be used for the select object(s) in the object explorer. You can offer configuration or buttons to "refresh all" or a checkbox "perform for all objects".

The automatic refresh eats unnecessary time during development.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Changing the Lock Escalation property of a table in SQL 2008 SSMS is not detected as a change by SQL Source Control.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to use custom templates, i.e. for table creation, to be able to add EXIST / DROP statements and permissions

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Backup a database which is under revision control (with SQL Source Control), modify an SP and commit it. Then restore the DB (rolls back the SP). Source Control see the changed SP and allows me to commit it, but Get Latest doesn't.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. We have used PVCS for 15 years for all our development source control. Is it possible to connect RedGate source control to a PVCS archive?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When adding a database to source control, all kinds of subfolders as created(data,assemblies,...) but these folder are not finegrained enough. for instance we do it by schema first then we use the same kind of subfolders.
    So if we have a Import and Base schema, then in subversion we have the procedure/functions folder under Import and under Base.

It would be nice to be able to choose the folders themselves and also where to put a function and so on.. this gives more flexibility.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. create an option to change the default password it uses when creating users

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. We already maintain our database scripts in SVN (using Tortoise), and are very keen to change over to your product.

We include the SVN keyword $Id$ in a comment at the top of every object file. When we commit, SVN automatically updates this to provide the Date, Author and Revision number of the last commit. This means that we're easily able to see which version of a particular stored procedure or function is in a client's database.

SQL Source Control doesn't like this though. When I commit a change through SQL Source Control, the Id is updated by SVN, and…

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re currently not planning to support this for v1. Would you be ok to remove the $id$ keyword for now?

We’ll have to see how many votes this suggestion gets…

Internal reference number: SOC-113

11. 12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. BUG:Inital commit, Symmetric key is not added to TFS. atleast show the user that these list of items he has to add them himself

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. It would be very cool if this tool would auto complete changed objects in the commit message like TortoiseSVN.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. At current we have SQL source control running in a remote environment. However, a DB - SVN link is stored for each user account, and is not transparent to the other developers.

Worse yet, with each developer having their own workcopy in their local profile, the same data will be duplicated several times. Also: conflicts will arise since each workspace updates on its own, while the DB might already be updated from another workspace.

Therefor: Suggest to keep 1 workspace per DB, to prevent issues of multiple workspaces or repositories linked to the same DB.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. If I unselected an assembly (since it is 32bit and I am x64) allow me a way to unselect all dependent objects easily. If I don't select an item I have a prompt to select dependecies but not the reverse.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Not everyone will want to use SQLCompare for continuous integration for various reasons. Adding an option to include an if exists...drop statement with certain types of objects means that all scripts can still be CREATE scripts while allowing for other CI implementations.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

For now, you may be able to use a batch file that executes SQL and drops the objects you want re-created before using the SQL Compare Command Line API. Since the objects are dropped, the synch script will generate CREATE scripts instead of alter.

If you wanted to create everything from scratch, you could drop and recreate the database, which would generate all CREATE scripts.

I hope this helps for now.

17. I recently connected to my database as a new user with minimal privileges (just data_reader). Later I went to SQL Source control to see changes (forgetting I was logged in as the restricted user) and the output was scary - every SP was marked as deleted and most tables were marked as edited (text replaced with 'encrypted').

I didn't have the courage to hit commit just to see what happened - it was too scary seeing my entire database marked for deletion!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Button says Get Latest. Incorrcet Subversion term. SVN Update or something similar will prevent the confusion.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I can select multiple items by click/draging over the items, however it will only allow me to select what is on the current screen.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Do you have a wheel on your mouse? Once you highlight the items in view, just roll your mouse wheel to keep going down the list.

Another way to do this is to click the first row, hold the shift key down, and scroll down to the last row and click again. This will allow you to highlight everything.

Also, there’s a checkbox in the column header of the Commit/Get list if you want to uncheck/check everything all at once.

I hope this helps.
    Stephanie Herr
    Project Manager SQL Source Control

20. I inadvertently put [] into lots of my column names and this broke RedGate. Google found something that might help explain:

I eventually fixed it by dropping the tables, which caused RedGate to run a create table statement rather than sp_rename.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/509970/object-id-does-not-handle-object-names-with-square-brackets?wa=wsignin1.0

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?