Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. SQL Server 2022 (and now Azure SQL) includes support for XML compression. Unfortunately, this option is not recognized by SQL Source Control (or SQL Compare), so when XML COMPRESSION is turned on for a table and that table is saved to source control, the XML COMPRESSION option is not saved to source control.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. It would be nice if Source Control can split a database to multiple fragments (based on filters - for example per schema) and setup a repository folder for each fragment.
    The use case: we have many projects which are using always the same core tables and functions (for example notification, settings, user management, ...) and the others are custom specific in custom owned repositories. I want to simplify change tracking and version handling of these core elements and share them in a public repository so each customer can use them. Currently we are updating a core procedure and copy this…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I would like to see my full committed change set history SSMS Source Control, with expanding it down to view the objects that got committed. Then see the committed object vs the current database. I don't want to select each object in the database to see what changed per an object. I need to see what change sets contain what objects and compare with the database. I've mocked image up what it should look like.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add Commit name in ChangeLog DB
    To manage release in DB Commit name can be add where Change
    Log DB is active.
    The goal is to use This DB to log the name of the last commit for an object. it can be use for a lot of cases.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. A tabular visualization with the differentiation between "added" (only in database), "changed" (on both sides existing but with different data) and "removed" (only in repository) would help to check the differences and with a possibility to select certain differences which should be committed, it would also be more efficient that different developers can commit only their own changes on a table, which is linked regarding static data.
    In addition a possibility to hide the unchanged columns in the tabular visualization would also be really good.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I have had to exclude some objects from my SQL Source Control project and I see that it says that in the Commit tab, but they really should be highlighted with an icon in the Object Explorer.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When an object is right clicked in object explorer and "commit changes to source control", the source control window should only compare the current object and any depended objects, but it should not check the entire DB which is quite time consuming.

Looks like this was already suggested in 2010 but was closed without proper resolution

https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/915325-commit-single-changes

Here is another suggestion from 2010 still open, but it looks like the behavior was a bit different at the time.

https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/1054983-only-work-on-selected-objects

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Using TFS where a reference to a bug or work-item is enforced as a check-in prerequisite. When typing in a comment, it's easy to forget the #A... rule. especially since TFS has a #[item number] rule without the "A". In adition it is not clear how to refer to multiple items.
    An extra field instead of "comment syntax" would make life easier.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The tool assumes everything is in the default dbo schema. We have numerous schemas so its difficult to selectively check things in. Please prefix the object name with the schema

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. We can configure SQL Source Control for setting the check box unchecked by default for dependencies popup. This should be extended one step further so we can eliminate that popup completely and reduce the number of clicks and save time.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. User should be able to enter comments describing change for multiple object in one submit. This will save time for the user to check-in stuff. Attaching a picture for suggested interface.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Extend filtering to allow DML Triggers to be included/excluded based on trigger names.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Hello, I would like to suggest adding a feature to encrypt all stored procedures and functions in an SQL Database for one main purpose which is to protect the logic and code inside the database, and this is to protect the Copywrite of the developers' software. The encryption/decryption should be done using a password; as the decryption should be available for the development team only.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It would be super helpful to be able to search across all connected databases for checked out objects. We have 20+ databases connected to the source control and searching through each one separately is very painful and time-consuming. Thanks!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. For the commit tempolate it would be nice if it loaded the the template configured for commits. See: https://git-scm.com/docs/git-commit#Documentation/git-commit.txt---templateltfilegt

(another user asked about it here: https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/86954/is-it-possible-to-support-git-template-feature, but it does not seem they requested it.)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Issue: In most cases, committing changes from the Commit tab marks 'Action' in SVN logs as 'Replacing' than 'Modified'. This is creating a major tree conflict and related problems for us when trying to merge changes between branches.

Suggested feature: add option in settings to change this behavior so that Source Control will always do 'Modified' for existing objects than 'Replacing'.

https://productsupport.red-gate.com/hc/en-us/requests/165651

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please add the ability to create Pull Requests directly from SQL Source Control. In our environment, we require that any push to even the develop branch from a feature or bug branch requires a pull request.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I am not able to push changes to my repo using SSH because I am unable to enter my passphrase. I have to push/pull using Git Bash.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I would like to see support for the git worktree feature. We often need to work on multiple branches at the same time, and this would help.

I see someone else has also asked about this as a feature on your forums. (https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/86826/is-it-possible-to-support-git-worktree-feature-for-sql-source-control)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30
  • Don't see your idea?