Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. While it is great the SSC supports Git, I have found that when connected to a large repository, SSC can take forever to commit or do a get latest.

I have also noticed that the working base and transient folders can grow quite large as the whole Git repo is cloned into these folders. I have had to periodically go in there and have Git compress it's objects so that I can reclaim some disk space.

I imagine that the performance of SSC is related to the size of the Git repo and I just feel like there is room…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. While I know that the "dark theme" is not officially supported in SSMS, it would be nice if Source Control would support whatever theme is selected in SSMS. In fact, I would like to see the theme scheme available across all of the Redgate product family of tools.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When attempting to get latest changes and an error occurs, please be more detailed (e.g table, data, column, etc.) that caused the error that will allow user to correct the error. It is possible the user getting the latest change was the person responsible for the error, making it difficult to trouble shoot when your database is relatively large.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When displaying the Static Data differences in SQL Source Control it would be very useful to show the number of records that are Different/Identical/In Database Only/In Source Control Only.

When tables have thousands of records it can be difficult to know the scale of what you’re about to check in or get by just scrolling down a long list. A tab displaying the records for each distinct group would be even better.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Azure Data Studio (formerly SQL Operations Studio) is the open source successor to SSMS kind of like VS Code is the open source successor to Visual Studio.

Please create an extension for SQL Source Control to work with Azure Data Studio.

https://github.com/Microsoft/sqlopsstudio

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-operations-studio/download

137 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Currently, SQL Source Control and SQL Compare have an option to "Ignore tSQLt framework and tests". We want to create our tests in dev and include them in our stage deployments for regression testing. The current setting ignores the framework AND our custom test code.

We want the Red Gate tools to ignore only the framework, but not the custom tests. We will manage the framework install separately. Ideally, there would be separate ignore checkbox rule options, one for the framework and another for our tests.

We have to set the current option to unchecked ("don't ignore") and then set…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I am using GIT and SQL Source Control. After running "Pull from remote repository" in the Get Latest tab, the only option is to Apply changes which directly updates the database.

If the changes include something like the classic renaming of a column, it will drop the column and add a new one and I lose data.

I would like to be able to simply generate a script so I can review it and manually apply it rather than directly update the database.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SQL Source Control should officially support partially contained databases

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Right now the SOC pane is linked to the database in Object Explorer. The problem in this is that the pane can't work asynchonously to get changes while I move on.

Give the slow performance of looking for changes and populating the commit tab, can we

1. Put a drop down in the SOC pane to choose the db
    2. Have the Commit popular process (refresh) be set to work with this database asynchronously. Either allow me to set a polling interval or click the refresh button, but then allow me to move to another tab and continue to work.
    3. Same for…
    13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide the capability to save the users last sort settings. For example on the Commit tab if I sort by last changed by (asd); the next time I go to the Commit tab it should be sorted by last changed by (asd).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Redgate still does not Support Database properties??

They shuold support properties like (Transaction Isolation level (Read Committed, Snapshot)Ansi Null, Quoted Identifier). These are Crucial. I cannot believe these are not in source control yet. The product has been out since 2006.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When we look on the Commit tab at all the changes which have been made to our test environment, it would be useful to be able to see if objects are still being worked on (and who by). Could we have a column next to "Last changed by" to indicate the user who has the object locked?

For example, if one of our developers is still working on a given stored procedure, they don't want me nagging them to check it in if it is a part of a larger piece of work, which will all be checked in together…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The deprecated RAISERROR, and newer THROW T-SQL instructions can use custom (user-defined) messages written into the sys.messages table using sp_addmessage.
    Since these are part of the "source" of a database in SQL Server, and should be syncronised across developers and implemented in production, it would be nice if the custom messages saved in this table can also be added to the static data in a repository.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. If a migration script has already been run (to rename a table), we don't need to run it again. SQL Source Control is frequently crashing trying to deploy migration scripts and we don't have a way to skip them.

Can we have a option to skip a migration script when getting latest?

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Treat object RENAME as Source Control (TFS) file RENAME not Drop & Add which deletes Source Control history of the object/file

More details can be found here: https://redgatesupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/88809

75 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add source control support for Azure SQL Data Warehouse. I'd love to be able to source control my data warehouse schema.

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. This has over 50 votes but its in SQL Prompt. This is a HUGE pain for us as we need to use AD to adhere to security policy.
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt/suggestions/15008409-add-support-for-azure-active-directory-authenticat

285 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Azure  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Kendra responded

Thanks to everyone for submitting feedback on this in the form of both voting and comments.

Currently, SQL Source Control does not have strong support for Azure SQL Database: as folks have noted in this item, AAD support, particularly with multi-factor authentication, is desired. Currently SQL Source Control does not work at all with Azure SQL Database with MFA enabled.

An additional issue worth mentioning is that pains with SQL Source Control performance may be worse than interacting with Azure SQL Database due to latency.

We would like to improve the user experience and support for Azure SQL Database, and doing so almost certainly involves addressing both of these issues. This is an area we are beginning to investigate more fully.

18. Hi,

I need to know who all has not checked in/committed the code the code.

As we have so many databases to work on and its very hard to see one by one

Thanks,
    Vijay

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Source conrtol should be a standalone app not SSMS addin. When performing get latest or commits, on large environments and slow connections this can easily take 20 minutes during which a click anywhere else in SSMS restarts the get latest/commit process. The logical use of source control being a SSMS addon has been outlived.

64 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are building a standalone version, which resolves some (not all) of the performance concerns that exist in the current tool. We are hoping for an early preview release in Q1 2021. Please get in touch if you’d like to try it.

20. Git requires a commit message by default however SQL Source Control circumvents this setting and commits without a message. There are a few other submissions attempting to get this fixed which have been declined. Seems you are missing the point.

In the case "Empty commit message for git is invalid" the very article you've linked points out that it takes special command line flag to commit without a message. SQL source control commits without a message and provides no mechanism to prevent this. There is no configuration for git that will do this because the default git behavior is already…

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?