SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

How can we improve SQL Source Control?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Source Control Git Hook Support

Sql Source Control can be made better by adding support for git hooks in the Sql Management Studio Source Control interface.

Example: Create a pre-commit hook to stop outgoing commits if tsqlt tests do not pass.

Expected outcome: A commit that fails the pre-commit hook should not be created. This is the behavior of the git command line.

Current outcome: Sql Source Control does not respect the git hook and bypasses it allowing the commit to be made.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • SQL Source Control need to recognize SQL 2016 code

Currently SQL Source Control is crashing when SQL 2016-specific code is used, for example:
      DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #input;

It should recognize this code since SQL Server 2016 works with it.

14 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        started  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

This is caused by the SQL Compare parser not understanding this syntax. The good news is the SQL Compare team are currently working on SQL Server 2016 parser support. Once this work is done and SQL Source Control is updated with the latest SQL Compare engine, I will update this request again.

• Support GIT hosted under TFS

We use GIT hosted under TFS in order to use Windows authentication to protect the GIT repositories.

SQL Source control does support a local copy of the GIT repository but remote Push and Pull fail in SQL Source Contrtol 5 because it cannot handle the login dialog needed to get to GIT

240 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add SSH key support for push/pull to remote Git repository.

When using the 'Push to remote Git repository' feature in SC 4.1.8.41, add functional support for remote Git repositories that use SSH keys for authentication.

89 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re currently working on improving the Git support in SQL Source Control by using the Git command line to perform all Git operations. This will mean that all authentication methods supported by the command line will work in SQL Source Control.

• show migration scripts in the history window

History window should indicate the fact that some of the changes are covered by the migration scripts and provide the ability to view these scripts

10 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have been working on v2 of Migrations, which stores migrations scripts in a table valued function within the database. This table valued function appears in the history. An Early Access Release of SQL Source Control is now available and can be downloaded from http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/MV2.

NOTE: This is an Early Access Release and is not fully tested or functionally complete yet. It would be great if you could try it in a test environment and let us know about your experiences so we can fix any issues and try to make any updates you need before the full release.

Thank you!
              Stephanie Herr :-)
              SQL Source Control Product Manager

• Migrations Support for PlasticSCM

I'd like to see migration scripts support for PlasticSCM. Why isn't something that is written as a "plugin"? Plastic isn't supported out of the box, but it's a simple enough matter to make a config file for it. Why can't the same be done for migrations? Allow the end user to create a config file (perhaps requiring the use of regular expressions for history parsing) or some other such mechanism. It seems like this should be a relatively straightforward thing to be able to do (it would also allow the customers to create the support for any SCM system they…

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                started  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

Hello! We believe that this now works if you’re connecting to PlasticSCM with the working folder option in SQL Source Control. Before we close this request, though, we’re hoping that one of you with a real installation can check it out and let us know.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

• on the conflict resolution screen, easier way to page down through lots of conflicts and 'take mine'

would be really nice on the conflict screen if you didn't have to click up on the row then move mouse down to option button way at bottom, 185 TIMES! If you could just select a range and say 'take mine' or page down with arrow key and hit an F key F1 mine, F2 Theirs...

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Work with a Visual Studio Database Project

Can this work if I already have a VS Database project setup? Meaning can this work and interact with a VS Database project so that I can continue working on the actual db in SSMS, but the files get saved to the VS Db Project?

210 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now available in the full release of SQL Source Control, http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control, but it is still a beta feature.

SQL Source Control can link databases to the most recent version of Microsoft database projects (those folders containing a .sqlproj file).

It’s important to stress that this is a beta-quality feature, and as such it is only intended for experimental use. In particular, we are aware of some limitations regarding database-level extended properties, permissions and CLR assemblies. If you encounter these limitations or any other problems with this new SSDT compatibility, please let us know by using the Feedback link in SQL Source Control or contacting support@red-gate.com.

• Provide ability to merge a conflicted object, instead of just Keep Mine or Take Theirs

I have seen no way on how to actually do a merge with SVN and mark as merged etc
                    We really need a more inutuitive way to merge the changes to SVN and vice versa. At the moment I am getting conflicts that I can't put into SVN because there is no way to say it has been merged, or even how to merge the changes.

84 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)