Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. It would be great if we could integrate SQL Source Control with our build scripts. For example a simple command line command to get the latest changes and apply (or script) them to our staging environment would be great. Or a command to commit all changes to source control.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. It is very hard to do manual database link to repository/SVN if dealing with large number of databases (200 plus within one team) across large number of source control group. Every team member has to spend time and carefully map repository folder.

One user perform manual link to repository and his/her/ setting validated by QA Team before distributing link config file (xml) to the user group.

The basic requirement is user should be connected with the DB server and pass the repository path and credential. you may design few screen to navigate and collect user input based on provider input…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. SQL Source Control will not notice case-only changes to data if the column has a Case Insensitive collation (which is the default out-of-the-box for most SQL Server installations). This bit me when I needed to "sentence case" some "ALL CAPS" data but SQL Source Control didn't even notice until I forced the collation on these columns to be SQLLatin1GeneralCP1CS_AS, which seems unnecessary. Maybe a per-table static data option?

44 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When changing a data type used in a SP (e.g. add a new column to it and commit it). getting latest fails on other linked DBs. You have to drop the SP on the target DB.
    The weird thing is that sometimes it works, but most of the times it doesn't. Not sure why the behavior is not the same all of the times...

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Currently accessing the log of the version control system is very slow.
    On a good computer it takes me 20 seconds to open the view history from your menu.

To open the same log through tortoise svn it takes me 2 seconds to lokate the ex. "Open working base" under the "Under the hood menu" in Setup and 1 second to launch the tortoise SVN log viewer for the project.

Could you please consider adding a possibility to either open the history quicker, or alternatively allowing the user to open the version control log in an external viewer.

Maybe there…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When I unlink the database from redgate source contriol SSMS does not respond and it takes more than 10 mins to do.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Need to disable Source Control. It causes way too many errors and slowness. I only actually need to use it once every 2 weeks when we commit our work, but it runs all the time, and causes a lot of frustration.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SQL Source Control and SQL Prompt may not know about an environment (i.e. a developer not having access to staging or production server) and there's not really a facility in either tool to store information about the version of any environment.

Thus, SQL Source Control has to ensure backward and forward compatibility when creating migration scripts - which then triggers Code Analysis Errors in SQL Prompt...! It is a mess to clean up, and frankly a waste of time.

I suggest a feature where I can define my environments in the Tab Coloring in SQL Prompt including a listing of…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I've been told this is by design: When upgrading SQL Source control from say v5 to v6 all of the source control linked db configs are left behind in the previous AppData folder (%localAppData%\Red Gate\ SQL Source Control 5\ in my example) not moved to the new upgrade version folder (%localAppData%\Red Gate\ SQL Source Control 6)

This leaves a history of folders in every users profile, and for us 'from the beginning' users I've got v3-v6 folders that I shouldn't need.

I'm told this is for Network and rollback reasons.

I suggest a checkbox or some such thing during the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Presently a standalone migration script runs before the main block. This seems odd as the point is to migrate data and for that you need schema to be in place.

I would like to be able to add standalone migration scripts to the end of the main block.

We ship databases with some data populated. (This is not simple static data that can be managed using linked tables). We ship for example some out the box entities such as Roles, A base User, a base Organization etc. They have circular references so to insert we have to turn off table…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. When you link a table as static data in Sql Source control it would be nice if the static tables were easily identifiable under the tables node in management studio.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We have found that Source Control object locking can cause severe lag and even instability in SSMS for distant servers. The additional lag affects the SSMS Object Explorer contextual dialogs (right-click). Often the dialog will timeout and fail to render or multiple tries. Although we are able to disable object locking via the RedGateSQLSourceControlEngine_EngineOptions.xml file it would be much nicer to have control from the GUI. This could be in the form of a global on/off switch, or could even add functionality to blacklist certain servers. Alternatively, you could build in some kind of functionality to detect servers…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Changing a filter adds it to the commit tab, but the filter changes cannot be undone - which is a catch 22. If you ever want to undo filters so you can do some manipulation you should be able to undo these changes.

So, the suggestion is either
    1. Add undo functionality on a filter
    or
    2. Add enable\disable functionality to filter

I think undo should be there, because once it's in the commit changes tab there is no way out - unless you either unlink and link again or just commit or even worse, put the changes back manually

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. After running get latest refresh intellisense and sql prompt cache.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Long time user of Redgate Source Control and a really annoying feature is when I'm on the Get Latest tab and there is a change to the Database Comparison options in source control. I can only select the Database Options changes to Get Latest. I cannot opt to get any of the other objects until I 'get' the database options from source control. This is not what is needed. The choice of whether I get the database options should be down to me and I shouldn't be forced to do it. Please make it the same as all other objects…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Given the size of our databases, SQL Source Control is VERY slow, frequently locking up SSMS for a minute or more.

As a result I'd like to (say) use SSMS 2014 for SQL Source Control, leaving SSMS 2017 free to work with.

Could we please have the option of choosing which SSMS instances to install it against?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. We have a rather large schema with numerous static data linked...
    When I turn off the automatic check of static data, the Get Latest and commit refresh operations take only seconds!! (Awesome!)
    When i turn ON auto check of static data, it takes almost a minute (yawn!).

It would be really great if I could have the best of both worlds... Do not automatically check static data, but manually check it as I see fit with a separate button on the GetLatest tab that says "check static data now" or something.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. We are a shop that have multiple systems for clients that we managed from within a single database, using a separate Schema for each system.

I would like to be able to link a TFS database to a filtered list of objects (preferably) an entire schema but I could see where others might like just a subset of other objects.

If this is currently possible please let me know but I do not see a way to accomplish this without having a separate database for each system per client.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When re-linking databases to source control, there is a warning message about loosing all uncommitted migration scripts, with only a OK/Cancel option. It's seems there should be an option for 'take me to the commit page' so that I can commit those scripts, then re-link.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Bitbucket allow to use Selfsigned certificate but you need to add on the server trusted store. With the Bitbucket version 5.3.1 the Source control when push is throwing an error "failed to send request: A certificate is required o complete client authentication". and souce control doesn't have the ability to use trusted store.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?