Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. Today, my Windows C: device was 99% full. During the search of the biggest files (which were the Windows/assembly/ folder) I noticed gigabytes of SQL Source Control files! Back to Source Control Version 3.x and 4.x even though we already updated to 5.x. Source Control does not clean up old files.

Directories I found old Source Control files:

C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\
    C:\ProgrammData\Downloaded Installations\
    C:\Users...\AppData\Local\Red Gate\

Please provide a function do uninstall all those old files that occupy even gigabytes of disk space storage. Thank you!

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. With SQL, when you modify an object, that object is now out there to be used or tweaked by other developers. Committing it is really just a statement of, I'm done working with this object and here's what I've done.

We have the problem of not committing objects as timely as we should. We make a modification and go our way until we realize a week later, we forgot to commit. So we commit, but the date time stamp of the commit is not helpful. That is just when the developer remembered.

I think it would be much, much more…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Locking feature doesn't keep history of who has locked or unlocked specific objects in database. This could become useful when a person unlocks an object locked not by him/her and would help to track historical changes.

It would require very few changes - additional history table,

[SQLSourceControl].[LockObject] and [SQLSourceControl].[UnlockObject] procedures would have to be modified.

Possibly an additional view to see that data in SQL Source Control instead of selecting raw tables.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Connecting to a Subversion repository SQL Source Control used to refresh the Object Explorer and show newly added items at the bottom of the list with a blue ball next to it. Since the last version update, I have to manually refresh the Object Explorer to get the newly added item to show up and there is no blue ball next to it unless open SQL Source Control and hit refresh there.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When using a shared database development model having a location which allows you see which developers have linked to the database. Also having the ability to be able to push out the linking to the database to developers from a central point

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. It would be very useful if it was possible to see which revision number was last deployed to a database. Source Control 4 used to update the extended properties after deployment but version 5 no longer does this.

Not knowing the revision number makes it difficult to bring a Live db up to the same revision as a UAT db, and ensuring the required migration scripts also get executed on the Live db.

Any change this could be added somewhere? Extended properties seemed a good place to save it.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Please give option for DML trigger changes be tracked separately from tables. It's very annoying trying to support and enhance a trigger-heavy inherited database that needs an extensive trigger optimizations. It doesn't allow me to isolate and rollback my changes very easily ... and branching and integrating - ha! This was almost a big enough deal to send me to ApexSQL... alas, I am regretting my decision these days. It seems people have been requesting this feature in Source Control and Compare for a while... please stop pushing it aside - it's frustrating. Thanks

77 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SQL Source control is slowing down my entire SSMS. This wasn't always the case, but now trying to get a context menu to show up on a table can take up to 30 seconds. Please fix!

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add the option to push to a remote at the same time as a commit (maybe a checkbox next to the commit button - similar to sourcetree).

This would be easier than having to navigate back to the "commit changes" screen and push using the error prompt.

92 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When committing multiple changes with GIT it takes several extra minutes, because it has to recheck for changes between each commit.

I have a large database and sometimes 10 or more commits to make in a row.

It would speed up a lot if it did not have to refresh in between each commit.

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Get rid of the option for anybody to unlock an object, but instead allow to unlock only by the person that locked the object or by a group in group role in the database where only few people have access.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Whether server configuration, replication scripts, SQL agent Jobs, Powershell, or just test scripts, give me a folder in VCS that I can store and retrieve scripts from. Even if this is to/from a specific folder on my machine, make this an easy process to keep development code with my database.

76 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I use extended properties on all of my columns and tables. When I check in a table initially, these transfer fine.

If I edit the table and add a new column somewhere in the middle (i.e., anything other than the last ordinal position) and give that column an extended property, SQL Source Control correctly identifies the new column. However, down in the bottom pane when it compares the database version with the source control version, it incorrectly flags each and every extended property in an ordinal position after my new column as having changed.

Can this be modified so that…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Currently, when comparing an SSDT project using SQL Compare, it only loads the base project. If the project references another project as the same database (the standard workaround to the circular reference problem), the objects in the referenced project will not be compared. This can lead to changes being missed and deployments failing.

It would be nice if SQL Compare could follow the reference back and include the objects from the referenced database in the compare as well.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Sometimes I need to write scripts to run before and after a SQL Data Compare.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The performance of the get and commit tabs is still very poor. AFTER querying the structure and content from the sql-server, which of course uses all cores to answer the query, only one core is used for the further comparison by SQL source control (shown as "registering database"). This step takes the longest amount of time, so optimizing SOC to use all cores for that operation should speed up the whole thing. Our developers have machines with 8 cores, so this is a huge waste of available ressources and time and thus money.

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It is very annoying that Source Control always recreates a table, just because I change a computed column instead to drop / recreate only the column (the FORCE-COLUMN-ORDER option is set to false so this could not be the reason).

Particulary if it is on one of your big tables with lots of indexes, FKs ...

I know there may be reasons to recreate a table if you add / drop / alter columns (because of possible page splits) but I want to decide it by myself (e.g. by adding a migration script for this rare cases)

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I don't see why is good this product if it's posible do commit to an object that is locked. If the object is locked this means that the user is editing it Then why allow to commit to this object

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Separate edit filter rule to ignore constraint names that define a default value for a column

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Checking for Changes should be possible over multiple Databases on a Server. All Changes on a Databaseserver should be allowed to commit at once.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?