Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. I've just had a stored procedure that I haven't modified come up as having changes to commit. The Previous and Next buttons are disabled as though there are no differences and I can't see any differences. Yet it repeatedly comes up as an object with changes. Huh?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I have about 800 objects. I can only add 100 to 200 objects at one time. If I try to add too many it fails.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This sounds like a problem we’ve seen before. Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed? If so, this could cause a problem when committing a large number of objects, which is usually the case when first committing an existing database to source control. Your workaround of doing a smaller partial commit seems to fit this expected behaviour.

To get around this, please configure Security Essentials to exclude LOCALAPPDATA\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 0\ from live protection.

3. I have a database managed in SVN. On my development machine I deleted it and then recreated it with the same name. RedGate maintained the link to SVN despite the drop (ok, doesn't bother me) but it then marked every object in the database as being in conflict

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a known issue. I’m glad you’re ok that the link to SVN is maintained. The problem is the underlying working folder is out of date.

WORKAROUND:
    Option 1)
    On the setup tab, unlink the db from source control. If you still want to manage the db in SVN, then relink.

Option 2)
    Use the Commit or Get Latest tabs to decide if you want to keep the version in your db and commit it or take the version that is in source control. After making a decision using the radio buttons in the differences pane at the bottom of these tabs, you must then click the Commit and/or Get Latest buttons to actually perform the action.

HINT: You can select multiple rows by selecting 1 row and then hitting Ctrl-A or select the top row and then hold the shift key down and select the…

4. I want an option for all scripts and directories to have no whitespace in their file names. For example "Database Triggers" would be "DatabaseTriggers". This makes working manually with the scripts from the command line much easier.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I've found that frequently when I change something about a table (add a column for example), then when I do a diff of that table from SQL Source Control before checking in, the diff shows that the order of the Foreign Keys has changed. For example, it might list FK1, the FK2, and then FK3 on the left side of the diff, and FK2, FK3, and then FK1 on the right side of the diff. The definitions of the foreign keys have not changed, just the order in which they're scripted. So, this is…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. We use SVN with the config ". = svn:needs-lock=*" to automatically lock files on all our repositories (parameter in the config file of SVN on the computer of the developer).
    So a source file can be modified by only one developer at a time.
    It looks it’s a problem with SQL Source Control because the files in the local directory of the working databases are in read only.
    When I commit a change, I have the message “Do not have permissions to modify the file C:\Documents and settings...\Stored Procedures\dbo.PS_select.sql”.
    The commit is stopped.
    Of course, we would like to…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We currently do not support lock or exclusive checkouts (lock-modify-unlock model). We are supporting a copy-modify-merge model.

In order to use SQL Source Control, you’ll need to use this model for now until we implement locking/exclusive checkouts in a future release.

To do this, undo the change to the Subversion configuration file, remove the needs-lock property from any file in the repository, manually svn update the WorkingBases directory, unlink and then relink the db in SSMS.

Depending on your OS, related files can be found in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control 0
    or
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control 0

1) Right click on WorkingBases\\Stored Procedures\dbo.PS_select.sql
    and select Properties
    *You can find the which corresponds to your db by looking in the LinkedDatabases.xml file.
    2) Select the “Subversion” tab at the top
    3) Click the “Properties…” button near the bottom
    4) Is there a svn:needs-lock property?…

7. TFS integrations really needs you to specify which workspace you are working with. This does wrong right from the start - when I try to link a database to TFS, it asks for the source URI and data folder, but it will only accept data folders already checked in, not that I have created in my workspace.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I would like it to update the files but not commit as I generally like to commit a set of related changes together.
    i.e. chaning the database schema and an on screen form to display new columns, they should appear as one commit. Currently I have to do two seperate commits

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When I link a database to source control (TFS), and then open an object from the object explorer I would have expected the file script in source control to open in the management studio window. Instead it simply scripts the object from the database server. I don't think this is really sql source control, it seems more like a polished deployment engine.

When a database is linked to a TFS source location, it should open the TFS file no matter what you do in the object explorer.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I'm having problems retrieving a recursive table-valued function from SVN so I tried to do it manually in stages which didn't work because SQL Source Control kept attempting to drop the function and then recreate it.

The steps I followed were:
    1. Refresh the get latest tab and copy the function from the differences window.
    2. Paste that SQL script into SSMS
    3. Remove the part of the function that does the recursion (the second half of a UNION so the return type is still the same)
    4. Execute the script to create the object
    5. Get latest from SQL…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. On the Commit Changes tab, please make it show the first difference in the compare pane.

This is particularly helpful where object permissions are changed often, as it becomes a pain to review a list of otherwise unchanged objects that just have new GRANTs on them. An alternative would be to show permissions as a separate entry to the object.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Did you know? The “Next” button at the top of the diff pane will jump to the next difference in the script. This may help you jump right to where the first change is for now.

12. It would be easier if the SVN URL that I entered was case insensitive.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Please add an option to script the database objects with square brackets around the object names. The Microsoft Management Studio Scripts include Brackets around the object names when they are scripted. So, if an objects is scripted from SSMS then run against the database it show up as being different in Source Control because the brackets were included in the SSMS script. Of course, you can manually remove the brackets before running the script but this will be cumbersome. I know that using the file that has been checked into SVN is another work around but we all know that…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When you select a database in the object explorer tree, then click on the link to existing repository in the red gate source control pane, the highlighted database isn't very obviously highlighted (dependin on your colour scheme) because the object explorer no longer has focus.

In addition, with multiple databases, it may not be obvious which server the selected database is on.

With the link to subversion repository dialog open, it is difficult to check which database is selected - a problem if you have to link a number of databases on a number of servers, and have lost track…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The error should consist more detailed data. Like from which procedure, function or table such error was thrown. I assume my error has nothing to do with SQL Source Control, it's my DB ;)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I can't install because I am forced to cancel the installation. It refuses to install because it says SSMS is required... while I have SSMSE installed.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We currently support SSMS 2005,2008 , and 2008 R2 connecting to SQL Server 2005, 2008, or 2008 R2 databases. (We currently do NOT support any SSMS Express editions.)

18. It’d be cool if from the “Commit Changes” tab you could get to the objects properties or at least get it selected in the Object Explorer, maybe from a double / right click?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Can we have a link to TortoiseSVN so we can review the repository from SSMS please?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. We've got around 2000 objects (tables, views, SPs, etc) and retrieving the entire list (from SVN and the DB) seems to take forever (and actually takes around 30 seconds). Too long. Cache, and refresh on demand, or prior to commit / get latest (i.e. when it matters if the objects are the latest).

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?