Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. While comparing static data in SQL Compare, there might occur a "red herring" issue where SQL Source Control cannot see filtered table-data due to being read by a user unprivileged for Row-Level Security. Since SQL Source Control cannot see the table-data, it will then suggest to either

a) Fetch all table-data from the linked repository (causing all kinds of PK- and other constraint issues)
    or
    b) Commit the deletion of all table-data to the linked repository

We don't want to do either of these actions. Although bypassing Row-Level Security for an unprivileged user isn't possible, it is still possible for…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Problem:
    Sysadmin role is required to see who changed a DB object. I am not permitted to have this role and I would imagine many devs are in the same boat. This means that when many objects have been checked-in by many users it is hard to pick out one’s own changes.
    Solution:
    Have an option when checking-in which adds a 1 line encrypted comment to the start or end of each object script. The comment would contain the username of the person making the check-in (and a control parameter like the time of check-in for instance)
    This username can…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When working with an object, there is a chance that another developer has made modifications as well since many developers work off of the same database.

When committing, it would be nice to be able to see a history of modifications. Each time an object is modified (F5) take a commitable snapshot of that object.

When a developer goes to commit, they could see the different times an object was modified and commit all at one time or commit the individual changes made over time. Doing a commit will roll-up all previous commits made.

Example:
    Day 1: Dev A: Adds…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. This option is available in version 3. I can see that it is not available in version 5.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. It could be helpful to indicate with an icon what is the databases source control system. For instance, git icon for git source controlled databases, TFS icon for TFS and VSOnline source controlled databases, etc..

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I have a single schema for all customers but different reference data for different customers. It would be nice if I could manage this all within SQL Source Control. This should also be understood by SQL Compare and my continuous integration system when it comes time to deploy this to my different environments and customers' sites.

254 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Kendra responded

Hi all. Thank you for your votes and feedback on this issue over the years. Here is our current guidance for this suggestion:

Post-deployment scripts give you flexibility for static data

With SQL Source Control, you can now use a post-deployment script to “dynamically” deploy static data based on a factor such as @@SERVERNAME or other query-able conditions.

SQL Source Control introduced pre- and post- scripts in v6.3.

An example post-deployment script which shows how to control deployment of static data by environment is here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/soc7/common-tasks/working-with-pre-post-deployment-scripts/static-data

If you make heavy use of Static Data, we have stronger support for this in SQL Change Automation.

SQL Change Automation:

• Supports column filtered static data tables in the SCA plugin in SSMS
      Supports multiple post-deployment scripts, in case there is a preference to manage static data tables in dedicated post-deployment scripts
    • Allows approaches like bulk loading larger static data tables by supporting SQLCMD
  7. I develop and have to switch between multiple databases and the source control tab keeps following the database I am on. When I want to commit changes I have to stay put otherwise I keep losing the progress looking for changes. It would be nice to have the option of which database we are looking at from the tab itself, instead of from the SQL Management Studio one

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It will be helpful to see or email a report of all uncommited changes by a developer so that we can take actions accordingly

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. We do not source control database users, but we do source control database roles created and the permission sets granted to them. However, even if users are filtered, to check in the role we must check in role membership as well, which can change in the development environment, and is not the same membership we would want deployed to a downstream server

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Increase performance of SQL Source Control when using Static Data. Even with small amount of static data the performace of the tool is not acceptable.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add a column in the results for TFS customers so that they can see what Work Item was associated with the changeset

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. If the list of objects to commit run over a page to several pages, it can be difficult to confirm exactly what I'm committing. I like the ability to generate a report list to show all objects as well as selected objects in the Commit tab. It would be nice to have same ability for 'Get latest' objects as well.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I know you already declined another request to support SQL Azure on the grounds that you do not recommend using SQL Source Control on a production database, but please reconsider supporting SQL Azure for development.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Button to produce a wall of shame report of uncommitted changes by user across all databases

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When adding a static table to be managed by SSC the comparison key is automatically selected. Our tables have auto generated INT ID columns as PK used in FK's. In our Static Data tables we have other columns that are unique and for them we have UK’s that we would like to use as the comparison key.

Here is another with the same issue...
    http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=16498&highlight=comparison+key

I have not found any workaround for this yet at least.
    I believe that this would be a great improvement for SSC and would be used by many. If you agree please vote for this…

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Feature which should enforce user to lock the object before editing when administrator enables the restrictive policy for the users

If it is there it will be very much helpful for most of the development projects not testing and production.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When linking a 2nd (and all subsequent) database to Git - the text entry for the folder is locked (cannot type into it)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 'Please ensure that the service is started. Click here for more information about this problem.'
    How about fixing this bug for when source control have forgotton its lic, which of course is fine . you can then try deactivating and reactivating, it says its is ok but nothing has changed. Would be so nice to be able to log on to your subscription, and tell it 'USE THIS ONE' so it can see on a redgate site what lic to use.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When using filters in SQL Server it would be nice to see what objects are under source control (even if they are committed, maybe with a yellow dot). Currently only uncommitted objects under source control are indicated.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?