Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. On commit, there is a button to select/unselect all dependent objects. It would be good to have select/unselect basically a check box to tick or untick the dependent object. This will allow me to select specific dependent object I wish to control not all.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow object types same as that of SQL server database objects. Example, I would like to include some functions under "Table-Valued functions" under the object type "Function". It would be good if there is a tree structure for each object type same as that of SQL server database structure.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Someone in my team linked one of our test environment's databases to his source control. He was in a feature branch and just performed a "Get Latest" on the dB..... Now we have to reimplement the integrated changes. Please display the Server name in the setup window to avoid confusion and make sure this is clear.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Redgate is throwing an error that is costing a lot of our time to be wasted. I can link to source control no problem, but when I go to the commit tab, I see steps 1 through 4/4 complete, then I see the list of changes to check in, but this error pops up and after submitting the error report, the list of changes disappears. I have tried a lot of things and cannot get it to work. Here is what I tried:

Unlink redgate
    Close SSMS
    Delete entire directory -> C:\Users\AlbersM099\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 5
    Restart computer
    Open SSMS…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. A truncation warning should only be given when a field is resized from large to smaller, where actual truncation could occur. Not from small to large where truncation would not occur.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Hello,
    I have a table with only one PK column of type nvarchar(200) which contains static data.
    Source Control keeps telling that there are changes even after saving the changes. It seems that it has some issues with the value s'

Database version:
    -- Only In Database

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N's''')

-- Identical

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N'a')
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N'aan')
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N'aan de')

Latest source control version:
    -- Only In Source Control

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N's''')
    --…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It would be great if we could have a product manager for SQL Toolbelt and or individual products we're licensed for. In the manager you could see which products you have access to, which ones that are installed, view the VS and SSMS versions installed in your local system and install/uninstall products to the VS and SSMS versions. This would be similar in operation to the Telerik Control Panel which provides this kind of functionality.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. SQL Source Control doesn't recognise changes to objects when the only change that has been made is in comments. The change is marked in object explorer when initially made, but clicking refresh in the source control window then ignores the change and removes the indication that the object has changed. There doesn't appear to be any setting to remove this filtration. The only other option is to alter the object's functionality or definition, commit, then change the definition back and re-commit. This is inherently risky, and should be unnecessary.

We use comments as a key part of our system documentation,…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add ability to execute all tSQLt tests when committing the database changes, if one or more fail abort the commit and show error messages.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. When using either SQL Compare or Data Compare, during deployment, can we have an option to supply and store a static name for the script file rather than having to overwrite script file name in each deployment. You could supply an option to automatically overwrite the file. For early development I want one script only, I don't need to maintain a history, especially if I'm going through the deployment testing phase.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When using V3 of migrations, SQL Source control parses the migration script, finds all dependent objects, and makes sure that the AutomaticSchemaChange.patch file brings the database up to a state where the user-written migration script can run. But, sometimes the AutomaticSchemaChange.patch file has a bug in it, due to a bug in the SQL Compare engine. I can file a bug on this, but those bugs don't seem to get fixed very quickly, and without a fix I can't deploy my database.

The only workaround that I've found in this case is to manually edit the AutomaticSchemaChange.patch file to fix…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I like how SQL Source Control can show you that there is an uncommitted change to an object with a blue dot on the object. Could this be built upon by allowing users to right click on the object and then have an option there to show a diff between the current code and what is committed to source control? This would be the same results that you see when you go to the 'Commit' tab and select an uncommitted object. It would be very helpful to see that comparison easily.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. A tool/report that will list all pending changes you have over all databases in a server, currently you have to go through each database one by one seeing if there are any changes

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Currently SQL Source Control is crashing when SQL 2016-specific code is used, for example:
    DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #input;

It should recognize this code since SQL Server 2016 works with it.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

This is caused by the SQL Compare parser not understanding this syntax. The good news is the SQL Compare team are currently working on SQL Server 2016 parser support. Once this work is done and SQL Source Control is updated with the latest SQL Compare engine, I will update this request again.

16. We are using System Versioned Tables, and on these tables SQL server adds 2 new columns SysStartTime and SysEndTime. These columns are typically marked as hidden and we need a way to ignore comparison for these. Either by a column level filter, or an option to ignore system versioning columns

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. from http://country.io/continent.json you can have both countries to contenents and give Countries valid cities eg http://country.io/capital.json Which means if you can defined a key-value pair you can create more accurtate test data that placing "St Petersburg" in "Iceland" which is the current option.
    At worse if the json file was downloaded and 'mounted' as a table would be useful. But really JSON is the new datasource that Red-gate has to connect to.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. With Amazon RDS, the server names are changed each time an instance is created. If a dev instance is recreated monthly, and a testing instance is recreated daily, it is impossible to keep the connection to source control when the server names change.

The only way to get source control to work with our system is if it were able to connect to a static end point (dns record) rather than the server name itself

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I'm linking to an existing database using a local folder. The database is linked in shared mode.

The local folder was built by SSDT and contains a .sqlproj file. I'm notified of the beta functionality when linking, so I know SQL Source Control identifies the project as linking to SSDT.

When I add a stored procedure, the resulting script starts with:
    SET QUOTEDIDENTIFIER ON
    GO
    SET ANSI
    NULLS ON
    GO

These statements don't compile in SSDT. The first statement in each script must be a create statement.

I had removed these lines from the statement that I ran against…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. It would be more than a 'nice-to-have' if we could specifically select and label versions as a "Release". The current assumption is that selecting a specific revision is equivalent, but there are scenarios where it is necessary to keep release a build that spans "revisions" - especially when working on an incremental set of changes.
    The only way I can see to do this right now is to restore all relevant versions individually and then use SQL Compare to manually revert those changes that have been committed in the "current" build but which wee do not want to release yet…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 29 30
  • Don't see your idea?