Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. Currently Source Control information is stored in database extended properties in the database being source controled. This requires Alter Database. In production those of us who use RedGate for Source Control, do NOT have Alter database because only the sys admins have that. And they do not want to bother with RedGate as they are just acting as auditors not database developers in production. Other environments we have full rights, just not production. It would be great to have an option to store the "Version", "Linked to" and "Migration folder" in a file not in Extended properties in the database.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry that this has taken so long to deal with, but I’m pleased to say that the latest version of the migrations feature no longer requires extended properties on your database.

This means that as of version 5.1.1 of SQL Source Control, Alter Database permissions are no longer required.

Mike Upton
    Technical Lead | SQL Source Control

2. Support Vault Server version 6.0 that came out recently. Currently when trying to connect against that version, SSC responds with an error of "unsupported server version". It would be nice to make SSC 3.x work with Vault 6.x.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow SQL Source Control to work on SSMS 2012, where SSMS 2008 and 2012 are both installed on the same machine

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. On the Get Latest and Commit Changes tabs, user selections do not persist. Every time the window refreshes (which is any time you leave and come back) you lose the selection. Seems odd to me that I would have to request such a feature, as it would seem like the natural way of doing things. If I have hunders of objects to get latest or check-in and i'm carefully selecting, i can easily lose my selection which causes lots of pain :)

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Anna Hall responded

SQL Source Control version 3.2.0.27 now has persistent user selections (still just on the Commit tab).

5. It would be great if you could add just a migrations script to your source control without any related change to any object in the database. This would be very use ful when tyou have tabel A with column 1 and 2 and i column 2 you want to replace all 'A' with 'a' or something.

202 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! You can now create migrations scripts even without schema changes.

If you don’t have SQL Source Control installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

6. Sequence object not yet recognized by SQL Source Control.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. It seems that right now migrations only support SVN, TFS and Vault - none of which I'm willing to use anymore. Please consider prioritizing support for Git/Mercurial.

935 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! Migrations support for Git/Mercurial is available – out of beta – in SQL Source Control 5.

If you’re new to SQL Source Control, you can try it out free for 28 days by downloading it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for your continued support, and please let us know if you have further feedback on this capability, or any others, in SQL Source Control!

8. SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 allows you to configure the same comparison options available in SQL Compare's Project Options dialog.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in you database repository's Working Base folder. The following Knowledge Base support article describes how to use this configuration file:
    http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC3/Setting+SQL+Compare+options+in+SQL+Source+Control

The plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow you to configure the comparison options that are changed most often, but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

I've added this idea to UserVoice to gauge the demand for a dialog…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. The log files at

C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control 3

can completely consume the free space on my C drive within a day. I have watched the files in this folder grow to 10gb in an afternoon.

How do I turn these off or set a size limit. I would also like to move them to a different location.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 has been released and should have resolved the excessive logging in the product.

To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control. This is a free upgrade for existing licensed v3 users and for users with a Support & Upgrades contract.

10. When I click on the popup window telling me that is is done getting latest for my database in the background, when I click on the (click here to go to the database) link, it resizes my SSMS window (almost looks like it does the restore down button between the x and minimize button in the upper right.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The pattern for migration script names should be a configuration. I would like my migration scripts to identify the version of the database instead of the revisions. Thus I would like to define the name of the migration script.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The ability to name migration scripts is now available in SQL Source Control v3.4. For details and to download, please see http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC3/Release+notes+and+other+versions.

We have also been working on v2 of Migrations. An Early Access Release of SQL Source Control is now available with Migrations v2. To download, please see http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/MV2.

NOTE: This is an Early Access Release and is not fully tested or functionally complete yet. It would be great if you could try it in a test environment and let us know about your experiences so we can fix any issues and try to make any updates you need before the full release.

Thank you!
    Stephanie Herr :-)

12. When updating static data in source controlled table i need to disconnect and reconnect registered server in object explorer before Commit Changes screen picks up change.

Also seems to affect other changes

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Kendra responded

I can no longer reproduce this, I believe this was resolved in the years since it was created.

13. When updating static data in source controlled table i need to disconnect and reconnect registered server in object explorer before Commit Changes screen picks up change.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I can no longer reproduce this, I believe this was resolved in the years since it was created.

14. When updating static data in source controlled table i need to disconnect and reconnect registered server in object explorer before Commit Changes screen picks up change.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. You software goes out and looks for a update every time it's started and then pops up a little notice. When I clicked on this thinking I was getting an update to my existing software, it installed a new trial version and uninstalled my older licensed version. This is not only irritating, I think it is underhanded and reprehensible.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The new update mechanism (the blue bar at the top of the screen) should make it much clearer when your support & upgrades status means you’re not entitled to a major version upgrade, and therefore upgrading would start a new trial instead.

16. We have gone though SQL source control and it workd perfectly with our Mercurial repository for schema changes. We also want some data changes to be source controlled like in some master tables , we have added some values. We want that these values should be added in the target database with the schema changes when the target db update itself by taking latest, so this type of feature i available in RedGate or we have to do some manual work for data changes. Kindly guide. Thanks

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When clicking the "Add a Migration Script" link on the Commit Changes tab, the TFS url and port are read only. As we use TFS on port 80 instead of port 8080, we cannot use this feature.

The same applies when setting up the link on the Setup tab.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Migrations in SQL Source Control 5 no longer requires a separate repository, so you should now be able to use it with your setup.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

18. TFS Preview is TFS on Azure and although I can use the current process to set up using my TFS Preview URL TFS Preview uses Windows Live Credentials to connect, if I put them in the user name/ password boxes the connection fails.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Sql Source Control 3.0.5.7 stopped including the fillfactor index options on table scripts. Every table shows a change now. Sql 2005 database level 80

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 includes a mechanism to allow comparison options to be configured – including Ignore Fill Factor. To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository’s Working Base folder. The following article describes how to configure this option: http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/GeneralContent/knowledgebase/SQL_Source_Control/KB201202000521

Our plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow users to configure the comparison options that are changed most often, but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

If you’d like to see an options dialog exposing these settings in SQL Source Control, please vote on the following idea – https://redgate.uservoice.com/admin/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/2615460-add-an-options-dialog-to-allow-configuration-of-co – and let us know which options you’d like to see exposed in the dialog.

20. Please can we have migrations functionality for Perforce SCM

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! You can now create migrations scripts with Perforce, using the working folders option in SQL Source Control.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

• Don't see your idea?