Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. It seems that right now migrations only support SVN, TFS and Vault - none of which I'm willing to use anymore. Please consider prioritizing support for Git/Mercurial.

935 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! Migrations support for Git/Mercurial is available – out of beta – in SQL Source Control 5.

If you’re new to SQL Source Control, you can try it out free for 28 days by downloading it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for your continued support, and please let us know if you have further feedback on this capability, or any others, in SQL Source Control!

2. Having an option to calculate/determine the synchronizing between source control and local objects can be triggered with a button action rather than automatically starting this process when the source control tab is in focus.

317 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Oog, each commit is like five minutes. Neither standard commits of source code (same SVN server) nor redgate SQL Compare actions (same local database server) take that long!

Keywords: Performance, Speed, Fast

312 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have been doing a lot of work on SQL Source Control lately. We’ve recently improved performance when you link a database, go to the commit and get latest tabs (especially subsequent visits where we can rely on data being cached), and when selecting/deselecting all on the commit and get latest tabs.

If you are still experiencing performance problems, please make a new suggestion that is very specific to what you would like us to work on. Is it a specific step in the commit process that is taking a long time? Is it viewing history that is taking a long time?

We’ve also started to work on this suggestion, Don’t refresh the commit/get latest automatically, https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/462220-don-t-refresh-the-commit-get-latest-automatically, which will also help with performance.

Contact support@red-gate.com if you can share your database schema with us for performance testing purposes.

If you are experiencing problems with server load, please see http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC33/Changing+or+disabling+the+database+polling+interval

4. As it is possible to exclude some files from SVN using file source control it would be great to remove some objects that we do not want to version - for example test procedures or users.

261 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. would be awesome if it scripted the data as well

250 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v2.0 is now available with support for source controlling your static lookup data from within SSMS. For more details, see http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=12947.

If you’ve been using SQL Data Compare Pro to source control your data in the “Data” folder, then please contact support@red-gate.com to keep your history.

If you need any advanced features, like only source controlling a subset of columns or limiting the rows with a WHERE clause, then you will need to continue to use SQL Data Compare Pro, http://www.red-gate.com/help/SourceControlData.html.

6. It would be really nice if there was a way to checkout or lock db objects so that I know that I'm the only person working on this object and I will not experience any conflicts when I go to commit the object.

242 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gareth Bragg responded

With SQL Source Control 4.0, we have introduced our new Object Locking feature!

This feature allows users to lock the SQL object directly on their database server, meaning other users on the same server cannot make changes until you finish you work and release the lock.

7. We use GIT hosted under TFS in order to use Windows authentication to protect the GIT repositories.

SQL Source control does support a local copy of the GIT repository but remote Push and Pull fail in SQL Source Contrtol 5 because it cannot handle the login dialog needed to get to GIT

240 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control 7 has now been released. In this version, SQL Source Control now uses the Git command line for all its Git interactions, which means it will support any Git authentication method that the command line supports. This includes TFS Git.

You will need to ensure that you have Git.exe available in your system path – the easiest way to do this if you don’t already have Git installed is to download Git for windows (https://git-scm.com/download/win)

8. It would be great if you could add just a migrations script to your source control without any related change to any object in the database. This would be very use ful when tyou have tabel A with column 1 and 2 and i column 2 you want to replace all 'A' with 'a' or something.

202 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! You can now create migrations scripts even without schema changes.

If you don’t have SQL Source Control installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

9. It would be really handy to support mulitple instances of SSMS, especially for multi-monitor people.

173 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I want to be able to work with more then one database, I want to have database for each developer that are all branches of the "trunk" db.

156 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We now support branches from your source control system. You should be able to branch in your source control system and then link a database directly to that branch.

Please contact support@red-gate.com if you have any problems or post a new suggestion for more specific features that you’d like us to implement around this, https://redgate.uservoice.com.

Thank you!
    Stephanie M. Herr :-)
    SQL Source Control Product Manager

11. 149 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. In a case-INsensitive collation, I changed the name of a stored procedure to fix a capitalization issue. This was first detected as a change (displayed the blue dot on the procedure and hierarchy in Object Explorer) but then when I went to the Commit Changes window and clicked the Refresh button, nothing appeared, and the blue dots disappeared.

Even though my data collation is not case sensitive, I would have expected this to be recognized as a name change.

Using version 1.1.3.4 connected to a Fortress 2.0.x repository.

120 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When I try to commit changes it says unknown user. I believe it is very important to be able to track who's making what changes.

112 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I want to be able to diff/compare my db object to the previous version so I can see exactly what I changed. This would allow me to view differences between my current version and the previous version. I also want to be able to select which version I diff/compare the object to so I could see changes between any 2 versions.

109 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  James Billings responded

SQL Source Control will now let you compare two revisions in the History dialog through SQL Compare

15. I know that svn and TFS support are important but I really hope you add Git support. Git is really taking off and I think we will be switching over at some point so Git support is key for us.

98 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When using the 'Push to remote Git repository' feature in SC 4.1.8.41, add functional support for remote Git repositories that use SSH keys for authentication.

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control 7 has now been released. In this version, SQL Source Control now uses the Git command line for all its Git interactions, which means it will support any Git authentication method that the command line supports. This includes SSH support. You’ll need to make sure you have your SSH key correctly configured for the Git command line to use.

You will need to ensure that you have Git.exe available in your system path – the easiest way to do this if you don’t already have Git installed is to download Git for windows (https://git-scm.com/download/win)

17. Currently there are only choise of SVN and TFS but I think that support of the Mercurial would be really convenient.

86 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please can we have migrations functionality for Perforce SCM

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! You can now create migrations scripts with Perforce, using the working folders option in SQL Source Control.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

19. To have a tab that would simply grab and display the Log/History would be invaluable. This would be a fairly simple addition I would think.

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Before every commit I have to check in git if the selected branch is the appropriate. It's important and it would be easier, if SQL Source Control showed it.

67 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?