Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. High DPI screen scaling doesn't work well with SSMS 2016 RC3.
    The source control screen doesn't fill the entire work area, but just takes up a small rectangle in the top left (approximately 50% x 50% of the work area).
    This occurs on a 3840x2160 pixel screen, SSMS version 13.0.14000.36, red gate source control version4.4.0.1714 standard

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. This is a bug:
    We recently upgraded source control from 1.x to 3.x.; with the new version the icon that indicates there are changes to commit keeps coming up within minutes after actually doing a commit - and on objects that have NOT undergone a structural change. What's going on? Please fix this.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Currently Source Control information is stored in database extended properties in the database being source controled. This requires Alter Database. In production those of us who use RedGate for Source Control, do NOT have Alter database because only the sys admins have that. And they do not want to bother with RedGate as they are just acting as auditors not database developers in production. Other environments we have full rights, just not production. It would be great to have an option to store the "Version", "Linked to" and "Migration folder" in a file not in Extended properties in the database.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry that this has taken so long to deal with, but I’m pleased to say that the latest version of the migrations feature no longer requires extended properties on your database.

This means that as of version 5.1.1 of SQL Source Control, Alter Database permissions are no longer required.

Mike Upton
    Technical Lead | SQL Source Control

5. You software goes out and looks for a update every time it's started and then pops up a little notice. When I clicked on this thinking I was getting an update to my existing software, it installed a new trial version and uninstalled my older licensed version. This is not only irritating, I think it is underhanded and reprehensible.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The new update mechanism (the blue bar at the top of the screen) should make it much clearer when your support & upgrades status means you’re not entitled to a major version upgrade, and therefore upgrading would start a new trial instead.

6. I would like to see history by object. For eg, we should be able to see history for Customer table or Customer.GetOrder sp.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. The permission of dbo required to use SQL Source control is not good and indeed a lot of dba's do not like the idea of having to grant dbo permission for users who wish to use the source control. In some companies it would not be possible to grant dbo permission.
    Could SQL Source Control be changed to not require dbo but perhaps something lesser. Indeed give the option to not writes extended properties at the database level.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m pleased to say that the latest version of the migrations feature no longer requires extended properties on your database.

This means that as of version 5.1.1 of SQL Source Control, Alter Database/dbo permissions are no longer required.

Mike Upton

8. Our static data tables can have a few thousand rows each. It's costly to have the rows compared every time the SQL Source Control tab is opened to push/pull schema changes (which are much faster to compute). Can the schema and data aspects of this tool be separated to prevent excessive comparisons on data that by nature changes very infrequently.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Sequence object not yet recognized by SQL Source Control.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Adding a database to a repository and doing the first commits works very intuitively. Great job!

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I like the ability to right click on a single item and select commit to source control. However, when doing this SQL Source control calculates all of the changes in the database. Can the behavior be changed here to only show the changes for the object selected to commit?

Thanks

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Even though we calculate all the changes, only the object you right-clicked on should be checked. (It should also be scrolled into view, if you have a long list.) Therefore, you can commit just this 1 object.

12. GIT seems to always get the short end of the stick. Can't do Object Locking, can't do Migrations, can't do Get Latest, can't View History.

Please stop treating GIT like the middle child in the Brady Bunch. GIT is totally Marsha, not Jan.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I love your request to much, I’m going to hate to close it as finished soon….

Git is a first-class citizen in SQL Source Control 4.1, which is scheduled to go out within a couple of weeks. You can get it right now if you sign up to the ‘Frequent Updates Channel’ (instructions here: https://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates).

We’ve added Commit, History, Push and Pull (Pull+Apply changes = Get Latest) for Git.

Object locking can be used with Git, but it’s a database-level thing, so is really only useful if you have multiple people sharing a database – a relatively uncommon set-up for Git users.

The latest version of Migrations, in SQL Source Control 5, now supports all version control systems, including Git.

Since that covers every item on your list, I’ll mark this as completed – but thanks for making us giggle too.

Mike Upton

13. It would be beneficial to see the sql script that "get Latest" finally executes (with the option to execute having screen the scirpt) . I have found this very useful in other db sync tools especially if the script fails.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You could use SQL Compare Pro and the SSMS Integration Pack to see the script.

If the script fails, then you will have the option to view the script in a query window and you can edit it as needed.

14. Allow SQL Source Control to work on SSMS 2012, where SSMS 2008 and 2012 are both installed on the same machine

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Have two service broker services that won't synchronise.

Database version shows,
    CREATE SERVICE [//DBA/Login-Service]
    AUTHORIZATION [dbo]
    ON QUEUE [dbo].[Login-Queue]
    (
    [http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQL/Notifications/PostEventNotification]
    )
    GO

Source control version shows,
    CREATE SERVICE [//DBA/Login-Service]
    AUTHORIZATION [dbo]
    ON QUEUE [dbo].[Login-Queue]
    GO

When I try and commit the changes, it stops at the "Sending Files ..." step and says "Nothing to commit"

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. It takes a while to setup all the exclude filters, and this time is worse when the solution to a problem is to unlink and relink. Provide a way to quickly exclude tSQLt content and/or save / restore filters.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I'd suggest rebuilding Red Gate SQL Source Control into a stand-alone application (similar to SQL Compare & SQL Data Compare), instead of a plug-in to SSMS.
    My SSMS has gotten awfully slow since installing SQL Source Control, even after unchecking the Changed Object & Static Data control options, AND setting EnableObjectLocking to FALSE under the hood.

Consider that I'm working all day in SSMS, but I only need SQL Source Control maximum once or twice a day, when committing changes to Git.

Kind regards,
    Christof

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support Vault Server version 6.0 that came out recently. Currently when trying to connect against that version, SSC responds with an error of "unsupported server version". It would be nice to make SSC 3.x work with Vault 6.x.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. We moved source control to a product by Source Gear called Fortress. Great Source Control. I would like Red Gate to support this.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. In a dedicated db model, a conflict will occur when User1 and User2 both make a change to Table1. User1 commits the change successfully. When User2 tries to commit, they will be notified of the conflict. User2 must then decide if they want to take what's in source control or keep their version and commit this to source control. In either case, User2 may need to reapply some changes to the db and re-commit.

In a centralized db model, when all developers are working against the same db, these conflicts should NOT occur.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?