Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. There are changes detected to a table in the commit screen, but the details show no changes - even after committing this phantom change, the commit screen still shows that table having changes pending. v3.5.6.338 standard. A few things to note about the table that might help to resolve: The table is a partitioned table, with a Geography data type in it, and also has a ColumnStore index.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

Closing this as it looks like SQL Compare now supports ColumnStore indexes

2. Ran into an issue when entering a stored procedure with a semi colon in it.

Failed to update:

oEc.#8Jf: Errors occured whilst parsing file C:\Documents and Settings\Adam\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 0\WorkingBases\4c857d86-7cf5-464b-86bc-01d4f22d1423\Stored Procedures\Article.GetArticlesByKewords.sql

'line 47:2: unexpected token: [";",<631>,line=47,col=2] [char=1276]'
    ---> cZ: Errors occured whilst parsing file C:\Documents and Settings\Adam\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 0\WorkingBases\4c857d86-7cf5-464b-86bc-01d4f22d1423\Stored Procedures\Article.GetArticlesByKewords.sql
    'line 47:2: unexpected token: [";",<631>,line=47,col=2] [char=1276]'
    ---> line 47:2: unexpected token: [";",<631>,line=47,col=2] [char=1276]
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at #oEc.#7Jf.#t.#B3.#sKf()
    at #oEc.#7Jf.#gKf(Action action)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
    at #eEc.#fEc.#t.#izb.#j5f()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[]…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. The link text on the setup tab should be selectable. It would be an easy change, and when you're creating a new database from the source you don't have to look up the URL somewhere else if you want to "clone" a database.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. One of the problems with a shared db model, where all developers work against the same database, is that everyone's changes are listed on the Commit List. It would be nice if only my changes were shown. There should be someway to filter the list to just my changes, or at least show the username in a column so that it can be sorted on.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The log files at

C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control 3

can completely consume the free space on my C drive within a day. I have watched the files in this folder grow to 10gb in an afternoon.

How do I turn these off or set a size limit. I would also like to move them to a different location.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 has been released and should have resolved the excessive logging in the product.

To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control. This is a free upgrade for existing licensed v3 users and for users with a Support & Upgrades contract.

6. Is there an option to ignore extended properties

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 includes a mechanism to allow comparison options to be configured, including ‘Ignore Extended Properties’. To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository’s Working Base folder. The following article describes how to configure this option: http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/GeneralContent/knowledgebase/SQL_Source_Control/KB201202000521

Our plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow users to configure the comparison options that are changed most often, but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

If you’d like to see an options dialog exposing these settings in SQL Source Control, please vote on the following idea – https://redgate.uservoice.com/admin/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/2615460-add-an-options-dialog-to-allow-configuration-of-co – and let us know which options you’d like to see exposed in the dialog.

7. The pattern for migration script names should be a configuration. I would like my migration scripts to identify the version of the database instead of the revisions. Thus I would like to define the name of the migration script.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The ability to name migration scripts is now available in SQL Source Control v3.4. For details and to download, please see http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC3/Release+notes+and+other+versions.

We have also been working on v2 of Migrations. An Early Access Release of SQL Source Control is now available with Migrations v2. To download, please see http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/MV2.

NOTE: This is an Early Access Release and is not fully tested or functionally complete yet. It would be great if you could try it in a test environment and let us know about your experiences so we can fix any issues and try to make any updates you need before the full release.

Thank you!
    Stephanie Herr :-)

8. After granting the dbo schema rights to a userdefined role I can't commit it

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Upon opening SSMS, SQL Source Control always starts up as a tabbed document. I always (re-)dock it, but it doesn't remember that preference.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I have just tried to link a pre-existing data database to Source Control and have come across an interesting error. Having written all the information to the source control repository it appears that the application then attempts to retrieve information back to ensure that it has the most up to date information. At this point it throws an error and points the blame at a line in my usp that is referencing a table that is called audit.Load. Is ".Load" causing the error as the software attempts to parse the file?

(I can send you the actual error text if…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Failed to update:

oEc.#8Jf: An item with the same key has already been added. ---> System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 619, offset:110 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4199, offset:21 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4198, offset:578 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4148, offset:1363 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4148, offset:1098 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4145, offset:8 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 67, offset:77 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 71, offset:40 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 3984, offset:137 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 3958, offset:472 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 602, offset:614 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 1792, offset:37 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException:

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. It keeps saying these need to be 'commited', even though they are up to date.

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Cities] ADD CONSTRAINT [enforcesridgeometryCity] CHECK (([STSrid]=(0)))
    ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Cities] ADD CONSTRAINT [enforce
    sridgeometryCity] CHECK (([geom].[STSrid]=(0)))

Table recreation code.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Cities](
    [CityID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
    [State] [char](2) NULL,
    [StateID] [int] NULL,
    [Name] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
    [LSAD] [tinyint] NULL,
    [LSADTRANS] [nvarchar](16) NULL,
    [geom] [geometry] NULL,
    CONSTRAINT [PK
    CityF2D21A9643D61337] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
    [CityID] ASC
    )WITH (PAD
    INDEX = OFF, STATISTICSNORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNOREDUPKEY = OFF, ALLOWROWLOCKS = ON, ALLOWPAGE_LOCKS = ON)…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I do not want to switch to SVN or TFS. I'm already using CVS and it would be great if SQL Source Control would support CVS.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Can you consider implementing support for Bazaar VCS? Thanks!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SQL server 2019 new syntax, for instance for inline functions, is not supported by Redgate Source Control. Could you please add that support? There is another user with the same problem as described here.

Thanks in advance.
    Best,
    Jose.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When I first pull up the interface when I'm about to commit some changes (whether via the context menu in the Object Explorer or just clicking into the SQL SC window), you list all changes and select them all by default. That's not a big deal. The problem is, if I try to uncheck one item (not the check box at the top of the list) you'll uncheck ALL items since they're ALL highlighted.

This isn't normal UI behavior. If I'm checking one checkbox, I mean to check that one checkbox, not everything selected, even if I have them all…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

Hello! We fixed the issue with weird checkbox behaviour quite a long time ago. If you’re still now happy with how selection works, could you please let us know?

17. Here is the scenario I going about. During iteration several developer does their check-ins and they do not create a migration script since then on Databases. But when it time to push build its a pain to go back to previous version of database and generate migration script using SQL Compare. Can't we have an option to generate a script right from SSMS by doing a diff between the two checked in revision in version control. Also another idea may be to allow create snapshot right from SSMS and developer can generate a script from that snapshot. We can have…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. In a dedicated development model where each developer works against their own copy of the db, if my co-worker adds a new NOT NULL column to a table, the get latest script will fail for me since my table contains data and NULLS are not allowed in this new column.

Please comment on how you would like to see us handle this?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When setting up filter rules, it would be useful if we could use some regular expressions on the criteria. We have several objects that we would like to exclude from source control when they end with a string of 6 numbers. The numbers are different for each object, so if we could use some simple regular expressions, we could filter out objects that end with [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9].

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gareth Bragg responded

As of SQL Source Control 3.8.13, filter rules now support the standard T-SQL LIKE syntax for wildcard characters (‘%’, ‘_’, ‘[abc]’, and ‘[^abc]’ – see MSDN for details).

To include wildcard characters explicitly in a filter, they can be escaped with square brackets.

‘Equals’ and ‘Does not equal’ operators will not treat those characters as special wildcard characters.

20. I think this product is brilliant and delivers simple version control for databases - something that has always been lacking. I do agree though that it would be nice to have more SVN options via the SQL Server interface

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?