Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

78 results found

1. My coding preference is to place commas at the beginning of a line, NOT the end. Can you make the placement a config option?

If you would like I can explain why this is much better than having them at the end of the line.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Aaron Law responded

I’m declining this suggestion as we already have this option under Format→Commas & parentheses.

2. I use many "as" clauses in my selects. If I need to use a Group By clause, I can copy my Select items, but then I have to manually remove all of the "AS" clauses. It would be a dream to have them removed during a format!

Also, what would be involved in having a "change to other favorite connection" mechanism, so I can switch my current query between production, development and test? And it would be doubly sweet if the switch also changed to my usual db on that instance. Like an Alt-Tab allows you to switch between open…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Thomas Walsh responded

Thank you for your suggestion.

Ideally, we’d love to respond individually to every request, but currently we can’t due to the volume of unanswered tickets. We’re clearing up our UserVoice backlog to make it easier for us as a small team to prioritize the most valuable features moving forward. Therefore, due to a lack of recent interest in this ticket, we have decided to close it.

If you feel strongly about it, we encourage you to create a new request.

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

3. Rather than individually defining aliases per table, add an option to use capitalised letters of tables/views to define an alias.

eg.

Customer = C
    mem_Membership = M

cus_StateCustomer = SC

aReallyLongTableName = RLTN

view_CustomerMembership = CM

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ideally, we’d love to respond individually to every request, but currently we can’t due to the volume of unanswered tickets. We’re clearing up our UserVoice backlog to make it easier for us as a small team to prioritize the most valuable features moving forward. Therefore, due to a lack of recent interest in this ticket, we have decided to close it.

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

4. Sorts selected lines. Nothing fancy, but incredibly useful.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

5. When you have a table in a FROM clause that is aliased, but the table doesn't exist, or is a temp table where the creation isn't in the script or is commented out SQL Prompt doesn't even include the alias as a suggestion. I think it should.

You can see my example in this forum post: http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?p=46775#46775

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

6. I'd like an option under data statements --> Subqueries to be able to drop sub-queries starting on a new line like in section Schema Statements --> New lines.

Example:
    SELECT
    [pgp].[patientid]
    FROM
    [dbo].[PTGEPATIENT] AS pgp
    WHERE
    [PATIENTID] NOT IN (SELECT
    patientid
    FROM
    [dbo].[PTAPALCOHOL] AS paa)

would become

SELECT
    [pgp].[patientid]
    FROM
    [dbo].[PTGEPATIENT] AS pgp
    WHERE
    [PATIENTID] NOT IN (
    SELECT
    patientid
    FROM
    [dbo].[PTAPALCOHOL] AS paa
    )

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1. Query Tab Colouring: To be able to have more than one colour of Tab per Database. I am often working on more than one Job at a time that are using the one Database.

2. Query Tab Grouping: to be able to group a set of tabs together, so I can minimize all tabs in that group to one 'Group Tab' to expand later. Also, when finished that task I can easily close the Group of Tabs.

3. Query Tab Naming: to be able to give the Tab a name without saving the query.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Ex.
    Select * from invoice where Status='<intelisense here if status is constraint or smaller lookup table)'

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

8. Would be useful to be able to choose a selection of Invalid objects and generate a Drop script for them all.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

9. The auto-create alias function is a nice feature, but it does not apply to when I want to open an existing script and apply my formatting/refactoring options. Instead the object name becomes the alias name.

For consistency and readability, I'd like to see an option to assign aliases for objects with none even if not typed and using the intellisense features.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

10. At the moment, only 4 options are available in the [Options] -> [Tabs & Wrapping] -> [Characters per line] option. The value can also be changed manually by direct editing of the xml options file but it would be much smarter if you use an editable dropdown box here (so user could pick one of the four values OR key in his/her own value).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I often use fully qualified oject names in code, but then want to alias them just by the table name e.g.

Accounts.dbo.PurchaseOrder as PurchaseOrder

Without having to add all my tables to the custom alias list, I think this represents a useful alternative to simply first letter (or capitalised letters).

Others may have alternative naming schemes, but as long as it can be defined generically enough, I think Prompt should have these built in

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

12. we can see disassembled code converted in various languages using .net reflector. I'm thinking about a tool into right click menu that converts the complex selects into linq statements to copy and paste into visual studio.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

13. Often we'll do a query e.g. SELECT Id from Table where param LIKE '%Foo%'

Then we'll want to copy and paste those Ids in to a separate query

DELETE FROM Table WHERE Id in (.......)

It would be good if there was a way SQL Prompt could help format the clipboard paste into a comma-separated list.

(I appreciate this example would be simple to refactor as a JOIN)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve reviewed this as part of our UserVoice triage.

Currently, we have no plans to implement this feature in the near future, as it does not align with our current work.

Kind Regards,
    The Prompt Team

14. I would like to get suggestions for the WHERE query value. For example, when querying a dimension table, I would like to receive a selection box with the possible values to enter.

empid firstname lastname

1 Test User

2 Dummy User

Select * from Table
    Where firstname= [Suggestion Box displays the values "Test" and "Dummy" to pick]

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve reviewed this as part of our UserVoice triage.

Currently, we have no plans to implement this feature in the near future, as it does not align with our current work.

Kind Regards,
    The Prompt Team

15. Hi!

It would be nice to have the option to format the current statement only to avoid reformatting everything in the document.
    At the moment I need to highlight the statement I would like to format which is not that handy.
    I guess this should not be a big deal for you cause "execute current statement" works already.
    If possible I would like to see that option as part of the context menu and as a (key) shortcut.

Thanks for looking into this!

Torsten

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We currently are not planning on doing this at this time, unless there is a significant increase in demand.

Thanks for your suggestion,
    The Prompt Team

16. I have been using SQL Prompt with SQL Server for quite a while and have gotten use to the features. I now work with SQL Server CE within Visual Studio and don't get to take advantage of the SQL Prompt features. It would be nice if SQL Prompt worked in the SQL editor in Visual Studio when using sqlce files.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

17. When we right-click a table in the object explorer and choose "Edit top 200 rows" (SS2008 onwards), the SQL editor is not the T-SQL script editor so SQL Prompt is unavailable. It would prove VERY helpful to have full SQL Prompt "Suggestions" functionality available.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

18. I want to be able to define department standards on the options and have the tool use those options only, and not allow each user to change them.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

19. For a Table or View or UDF, either in Explorer or with the object selected in a script, right-click to develop to the clipboard or new query window a list of DECLARE statements reflecting the object's column names in the simple form:

For SS2005, separate
    DECLARE @column1<<TAB>><column1_data_type>
    DECLARE @column2<<TAB>><column2_data_type>

For SS2008:
    DECLARE @column1<<TAB>><column1_data_type>
    , @column2<<TAB>><column2_data_type>

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

• Don't see your idea?