Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

78 results found

1. I would like to be able to compare two text blocks to see the differences, probably in two different windows. Its easy in most text editors. Wish I could do it right inside SSMS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Courtney,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the team have reviewed it and we don’t currently feel like it is a good fit for something we would want to prioritise in Prompt.

Please don’t let that put you off suggesting other ideas – all feedback is great even if we don’t action all of it!

Tim

2. SQL Prompt code completion is broken if you use the OPTION ( USE HINT ( ) ) syntax with an update query. To make matters worse, if you are writing a stored procedure, the code completion tools remain broken for every query following the UPDATE statement as well.

This is on SQL Prompt v9.4.15.8960 with SQL Server Management Studio v17.9.1.

Here is a repro:
    CREATE OR ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.TestThis
    AS
    BEGIN
    SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @var int;

-- try to do any code completion after this statement
    -- only snippets will work
    UPDATE TestTable
    SET WatchThisBreak = 1
    OPTION( USE…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. SQL Prompt 7.3.0.437 will format the following

/*******************************************************************************

troubleshooting queries - query_hash and query_plan_hash

********************************************************************************/

/*

query_hash
    Binary hash value calculated on the query and used to identify queries with 
    similar logic. 
    You can use the query hash to determine the aggregate resource usage for 
    queries that differ only by literal values.

*/

like this: (too many empty lines added with Whitespace / Preserve existing new lines between statements)

/*******************************************************************************

troubleshooting queries - query_hash and query_plan_hash

********************************************************************************/

/*

query_hash
    Binary hash value calculated on the query and used to identify queries with 
    similar logic. 
    You can use the query hash
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Smart rename does not work properly in queries where there are common table expressions and, for instance, two of them use the same alias for the same (or even different) table. When I want to change the name of an alias, then the rename should not pick up the same alias from other scopes. The current rename is potentially dangerous because there could be a clash when, for instance, one piece of a query is dependent on another (think: cross apply or correlated query). I would classify the current behaviour as a bug but I can imagine that one could…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Aaron Law responded

Hi Darek,

It sounds like you might have hit a bug as the rename in SQL Prompt should be respecting the scope of the alias. I’m going to close this UserVoice idea since it sounds more like a bug than a feature. I see you already have a ticket logged with our support team – if you forward them recreation steps/scripts we can investigate this further.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

5. sometimes its counter productive, messing up in the way of regular intellisense

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Anvoy,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with SQL Prompt! This sounds more like a bug than a feature request so I’m going to close this idea – our support site would be a better place to log it: https://redgatesupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    please include the version of SQL Prompt that you’re using and detailed recreation steps.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

6. Would it be possible to peek at what JetBrains do for C# and implement similar functionality in T-SQL? It doesn't have to be as sophisticated as JetBrain's... Just a suggestion of mine. I bet you could certainly find good cases where refactorings like JB's would come in useful. Very, very useful. Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Darek,

I’m going to decline this idea as it’s unclear what the actual feature is. You should have your UserVoice votes returned to you so if you have a specific refactoring feature that you’d like to see in SQL Prompt please do post it as a new idea.

7. When SQL Prompt loads the database objects, the resolution on my Dell M3800 gets screwed up. I can restore it by checking for updates.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Ali responded

Hi

Thanks for your suggestion. This sounds more like a bug than a feature, although we’re not currently aware of it. Please could you raise a support ticket with screenshots and recreation steps at: https://redgatesupport.zendesk.com

Thanks

8. Hi support,

Please add TRY_CAST to you list of key words in SQL Prompt.

Best regards,

Henrik

Henrik Staun Poulsen

Vestas Data Center

Vestas Technology R&D

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Henrik,

Unfortunately the script syntax highlighting is not handled by SQL Prompt. It’s something that’s built into SSMS and so we don’t have control over which keywords get marked as pink.

9. 1º Disable/enable duplicate parentheses correction ))* option
    example : Select ISNULL(dbo.InitCap()
    in * position to tipi parentheses ')' SQL Prompt eating this
    res: Select ISNULL(dbo.InitCap()

2º right-click > Format SQL > [Sub Menu] Style
    , for quick access to alternative formatting setting
    3º I Still Waiting For Numeric Data type LENHT in definition box, tooltips and suggestions box
    and 4º most importantly is highlight similar words

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi David,

I’m going to close this idea as its really 4 ideas which means it’s difficult for us to know which one to work on if other users start voting on it. We also already have individual ideas for each of these so closing this one will give you the points back and allow you to add them to those.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

10. Executing code on multiple servers and with check boxes choosing on which to execute for fast on/off.
    Also procedure comparison and altering on multiple servers.
    So all in all enabling easy management for multiple servers and instances of SQL Server. Registered Servers feature in SSMS i just too blunt.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Hrvoje,

I’m going to decline this suggestion as I don’t think it fits in with Prompt at the moment. We have another product called SQL Multi Script that has some of the functionality you’re requesting for multiple servers.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

11. SSMS shuts down when I bring my computer back from sleep mode. I think it's due to SQL Prompt. Also, SQL Prompt could do a better job recognizing CTE's. Furthermore, when referencing a table function in a query the formatting is very clean. It often times puts each string input on a new line. Formatting should be improved around strings / inputs separated by commas.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Devin, I’ve sent you an email asking for more details on the bugs you mentioned but I’m going to close this idea as it’s 3 in 1 which makes it awkward to complete or vote on.

12. WIth the change in v6 to default to

SELECT * FROM table1
    INNER JOIN table2
    ON table2.id = table1.id

whereas previous versions used this format.

SELECT * FROM table1
    INNER JOIN table2
    ON table1.id = table2.id

If upgrading from an earlier version, can either the swap order option be enabled or at least the user warned during installation that the intellisense options have changed and that queries will be formatted differently.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion Kieron.

In adding this new option, we set the default column order to what we think will be the most useful. If you prefer the old behaviour, select the new option – your option preferences will be persisted when you install new versions of SQL Prompt.

13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m going to close this request as the latest version of Prompt 6 doesn’t have a Pro version.

14. Add a fixed place in the query window, e.g. at the right or bottom of it, where to show the suggestion box and/or object defintions window. Thus that the SSMS intellisense tool window is not overlayed by it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Thomas Walsh responded

Thank you for your suggestion.

Ideally, we’d love to respond individually to every request, but currently we can’t due to the volume of unanswered tickets. We’re clearing up our UserVoice backlog to make it easier for us as a small team to prioritize the most valuable features moving forward. Therefore, due to a lack of recent interest in this ticket, we have decided to close it.

If you feel strongly about it, we encourage you to create a new request.

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

15. In the header add the number of objects searched in the database.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ideally, we’d love to respond individually to every request, but currently we can’t due to the volume of unanswered tickets. We’re clearing up our UserVoice backlog to make it easier for us as a small team to prioritize the most valuable features moving forward. Therefore, due to a lack of recent interest in this ticket, we have decided to close it.

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

16. give the option to encapsulate a piece of code like a subquery into a view so it can be reused , and give an option to create indexes on the resulting views as to max speed to the query

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

17. So many times during the day, I find myself in executing SELECT DISTINCT on a column, just to find all the unique values in the database. It would be a great shortcut if I could just right click on a column and the SQL statement would be automatically generated.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

18. The first use case that comes to mind would be to highlight all unindexed fields. This would make optimization an easier task. The type of highlight could be customizable such as a colored squiggle line underneath (like ms word) or an earmark tag. A quick toggle of all highlights on/off would be nice.

To reduce clutter, a simpler option would be to show indexes on hover of the field.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

1 2 4 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?