Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

69 results found

1. I sent two crash reports today. (Unhappily the first time I ran version 12.) It did not describe or let me see what was being sent. I don't really feel comfortable with that. I'd like to know what is being sent before I send any more reports.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Sam Blackburn responded

As of SQL Compare and Data Compare 12.2.4, the exception report dialog has a “view report data” button which will allow you to view the exact data which would be submitted to Redgate.

We primarily added this feature to ensure users could assess any possible impact on their privacy, although the feature could also be used to dig through the data and recover the table name our support engineers found.

At time of writing, 12.2.4 is on our frequent updates channel, and we expect to release the feature to default channel soon.

2. This step is often skipped when I click on Next from Step 1. The Deployment Wizard will skip straight to '4 - Review Deployment Script'. This behavior is inconsistent: sometimes '3 - Review Dependencies' IS enforced even though it is skipped and other times it is not. In our situation, the rule is to NOT enforce dependency changes.

This has bitten me several times in the past, so I now always click on Back when on Step 4 to see if Step 3 was enforced or not. Of three deployments today requiring SQL Commpare, two of them exhibited this behavior.…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Michelle Taylor responded

We’ve seen this behaviour occasionally and believe we have fixed the problem in 10.7 – could you try upgrading, and email support@red-gate.com if you are still experiencing this problem?

3. I'm documenting my databases using extended properties on the database level, and I've tried various options, but I can't find how to compare the database extended properties. We have dev, test, and production environments, so I need to sync these properties between the environments so they don't get lost when restoring dbs between them.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Fix version 14.8+ so we don't have to type in ";Trust Server Certificate = true" for every server name. We don't have to do this for other tools from Idera, Solarwinds, Orion, Microsoft, or any others. This is a bug in SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare newer than v14.7.7.21053

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Most times when comparing environments, the Database name is the same. It would save time to be able to copy over the Database name from the Source to the Target, rather than having to type or select it from the drop-down list.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. We have 3 servers with 3 databases in each, so a total of 9 possible connections. The "Recently used" dropdown only displays 6. So I am forced to click the "Browse source control..." option, which results in a lot of clicks to navigate down the tree to the proper location.

How do I add more items to “Recently used” drop down?

It would save me a ton of time if this drop down could remember just 3 more.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I think it would be great if once you create a script from SQL Compare you would add the 'use db_name' as the first line to ensure the script gets ran on the correct database. Often I send my scripts to other teams to run and this will ensure they are running the script on the correct database. I believe SQL Data Compare already does htis after you create a script. Keep up the good and I can't say enough about how awesome your tool set is!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When in the project window (showing you your recent projects you have loaded) it would be nice if you could just double click on an item to get it to load. Currently you have to click on a line to highlight it, then double click on it to load. It would be very nice if you didn't require the highlight step and part of the double-click would also highlight and open the item clicked on.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Deal With Schema Bound Objects. SQL Compare 10.4.8 fails to deal with objects that are schema bound, so attempts to drop objects that have schema-bound dependencies causing an error.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. In version 12 pressing "backspace" while typing the database name in the "Edit Project" screen clears out the database name completely instead of just deleting the last character.

Made a typo while typing in the database name? Too bad, you'll have to type the whole thing again after pressing Backspace. Constantly switch between servers with thousands of databases with similar, but slightly different names? The Database textbox is nearly impossible to use until the database list in the drop-down is fully loaded (which can take a while) because when you go to backspace, it just wipes the text without letting…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. If you check or uncheck an item to sync the scroll position gets reset to the top of the screen and have to manually scroll down to your previous position. Very annoying.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make tool available for MySQL

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I have to click this off EVERY time I use SQL Compare or I can't connect to my databases. Can we please have an option to set this 'off' rather than 'on' by default?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you are using connection details that were first used with older versions of SQL Compare that did not have the checkboxes, then you will have to clear the previously saved credentials in order to be able to save the new desired ones with the checkbox values.  

In order to do this you need to go into the windows credentials manger in the windows control panel and remove the saved credentials for the desired connection.  Thank you!

14. With the new UI several things are now "broken".

First of all, on the Project dialog, the Database Drop Downs do not select the entry that matches what's in the text box.

So if I have a list of database such as:

DB A
    DB B
    DB C
    DB C2

and the Text says "DB C", when I click the button for the drop down, it doesn't highlight it. So what that means is if I want to change it to DB C2, I either have to start typing in the name again, or scroll through the list until I…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve implemented these features in the latest Frequent Update release, version 12.0.34 – does this work for you?

15. unsure what is causing this, but i find the new version to much less performant.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve just released SQL Compare 12.1.1.3793 to Frequent Updates, which some performance improvements when selecting/deselecting large numbers of tables. The performance improvement is particularly noticeable when the source is a scripts folder and the target is a live database over a network connection. (SC-9157) Does this solve your problem?

16. Link to Full Release Notes on the page at the URL below is broken -- please fix. Also, I get JavaScript errors on the page -- someone should look into.

http://www.red-gate.com/updatecontrols/details?etc=1128868242&guid=f8b6d1e4-d76d-41eb-92c0-f0fa2edd2379&update=1687

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The preview bar on the left of SQL Difference pane shows dark blue segments for the lines that have no actual difference at all. It also appears that it is showing them for the comment lines generated by the tool, like -- Columns and -- Permissions. Version 12.0.30.3199 Professional

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We think we’ve fixed this bug in the latest Frequent Update release, version 12.0.34. Does this solve your problem?

18. It would help to have "use <<database>", where <<database>> is the db where you intend to load the sql appear in the object sync script

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Anonymous responded

We already have an option for this: If you look at the Project Options and choose “Add USE statement” that should do the job!

19. Prior to v12, you could run schema compare and then click a button to open data compare with same data sources. seems to have gone now

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. SQL Compare (and SQL Data Compare) still don't save their position on last close. It will always start in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I know this was reported before and it is shown as fixed but I'm running 12.0.30.3199 and it's still a problem on a fully patched Win7 Pro computer.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Michael,

This was fixed in 12.0.32.3340 which is currently available on our frequent updates channel. You can switch on frequent updates by following the guide below. This change will be rolled into a default release later this month.

http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SC12/Turning+on+Frequent+Updates

If you are still encountering issue with the start up positioning of the application following this update please could you get in contact with our support team by emailing support@red-gate.com.

Regards,
    David

• Don't see your idea?