Skip to content

Oracle

Welcome to our Oracle solution feature suggestion site. Find out more information about our current offering at www.redgate.com/oracle.

If you have any questions, need help, or have found a bug, please visit the forums at forum.red-gate.com/categories/oracle-tools.

Oracle

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

59 results found

1. 179 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Richard Mitchell responded

This is now available in the final v3 release of Source Control for Oracle – available now

2. Some tables are metatables involving data/information connected to the software releases. The Source Control utility should have a possibility of setting a switch on the tables, turning data compare on. This way you could include data for these tables in the version control.

131 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Doerte responded

We just released static data support for Source Control for Oracle.

3. Could you please make it possible to compare tables with different tablenames?

This should be applied to all tools.

I do believe this is possible in the SQL Server-tools.

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow us to specify options (like in Schema Compare for Oracle) when creating a Source Control for Oracle project (e.g. we'd like to include storage clauses in the table create scripts)

Note from Red Gate: If you vote on this feature request, it would also be helpful to know what options specifically you'd like to see.

47 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Storage options are now available in the latest release of the tools.

There are a number of new “Include ..” storage options available in both the Schema Compare and Source Control tools.

To get to options in Source Control right click on the project in the start screen and selected “Edit comparison options”.

5. Things like lack of support of JSON objects, default on null on columns statements, and table compression statements cause us to use script rather than moving through the tool. The tool works great for things that have full support and would love to be running everything through it.

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Doerte responded

Redgate tools for Oracle are now compatible with Oracle version 12c. Full 12c support for Schema Compare was released earlier this year.

6. We manage ERP systems with larg schemas (150.000 - 200.000 objects) where only a small proportion - the custom objects - should be under source control / schema compared.

To enable a decent use of Schema Compare for these systems, we would need to be able to compare schemas partially based on naming convention. Multiple assignments per schema should be possible, e.g. we want to match all objects for schema ABC matching the naming convention EE% and FF%

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. For procedures/packages etc. it would be great to be able to have a "script as CREATE OR REPLACE" option.

We would use this to generate scripts that could be kept under source control in Mercurial, and applied to the (shared) dev database as needed.

We could also then use the tool to compare whether the database is up to date with the latest changes in source control.

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve just put this into our latest code so that we always generate CREATE OR REPLACE where we can. Surprisingly all the integration tests passed so this should make it into the next release.

I don’t think there are any huge issues with always using the CREATE OR REPLACE syntax.

This is now in our latest release via “Check for Updates”

8. SQL Compare allows the user to use a customized filter to exclude specific objects, object types, or objects with a certain named pattern.

This would be extremely useful in the Oracle tool as well.

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. In our schema(s) there is a mixture of third party code that we don't touch, and our own code where we'll amend and add objects. Please add a way to filter out the third party objects.

(If you vote on this, please let us know if the objects concerned are named in a particular way that would make filtering easier)

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is now available via check for updates or to be downloaded from our website.

This allows objects to be filtered based on type or substrings (both include and exclude).

10. We frequently bring data from production databases to staging and development environments, it involves around 120 tables , but to start with we want to pick 3 or 4 huge tables(rows ~ 3 million) and see how much time it will take to do data comparison and deploy differences, instead of copying down entire tables.Also please see if you can develop the functionality of selecting a list of tables for comparison before registering entire databases.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can now use Ignore Rules to specify what tables to include/exclude in your comparison – https://documentation.red-gate.com/dco5/setting-up-the-comparison/using-ignore-rules.

You also have the ability to specify what tables and WHERE clauses, if needed:
    - https://documentation.red-gate.com/dco5/setting-up-the-comparison/selecting-tables-to-compare
    and
    - https://documentation.red-gate.com/dco5/setting-up-the-comparison/filtering-the-comparison-with-a-where-clause

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

11. The filtering limitation to just “contains” is really frustrating and very time consuming.

· How hard can it be to use one simple wild card (“” or “%”) to define patterns? That way I can specify a specific object name, i.e. “s” or all objects starting with, i.e. “s”, or any object containing, i.e. “s”, or any object ending with, i.e. “*s”. This would add so much for so little. This seems to be an enormous oversight and by far my single biggest frustration with the tool.

· Not as important but useful would be being…

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  All Oracle  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When working on an object, we would like to see an option to check-out and/or lock the item it is mapped to in source control. Preferably, we would like this to happen when the item is edited and compiled. Again, this could be an XML config file option of some kind, or an option during check-in to lock the file for the user checking it in.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This has been released in the latest versions of Source Control for Oracle. The upcoming release removes the clutter of locking partitons and lobs which can only be modified with the connecting table object.

13. When comparing an External Table from one environment to the next, a difference in LOCATION (or filename) that the table refers to triggers a difference. We use External Tables to read data into our warehouse and currently have to manually ignore or remove those location changes from scripts when the difference is discovered. Adding an option to "Ignore External Table Location" would be very convenient for us.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is now in code (yet to be tested) for the next release of the tool.

14. Please add support or the ability to find Queue tables.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It seems materialized views are not included in the compare. Or am I missing something?

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Neil Anderson responded

Materialized Views and MVIEW Logs are now supported in v3.0.0.686. Available via Help→Check for Updates

16. Our application has public synonyms that should be versioned along with our application, but Source Control for Oracle isn’t picking up the public synonyms that point to objects in our versioned schemas.

Would it be possible to look for public synonyms whose referenced object is in the list of schemas that are in the SC project? For example, if my project schemas were ‘MYSCHEMA1’ and ‘MYSCHEMA2’, then SC for Oracle would look to version any public synonyms with a query like this:

SELECT *
    FROM allsynonyms
    WHERE owner = 'PUBLIC'
    AND table
    owner IN ('MYSCHEMA1', 'MY

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support an LDAP connection, so the server name is not required. We would like to use a server alias only, so that all developers don't have to know or update the server name locally.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  All Oracle  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve got a working prototype that allow connections via LDAP. You will need to have the oracle client installed and in the TNS Connection – Network Alias field enter the ldap server alias.

I have now extended this to allow “OS Authentication” which seems to work on my very simple AD implementation.

18. We noticed that all objects have a prefix in front of it.
    The prefix happens to be the same as your folder name. I would prefer it if it was the same as the schema name, or NULL. Preferably give us the right to choose a prefix name.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I believe you can do this in the latest version of Source Control.

Either you can make your schema name the same as the folder when you setup your project.

Or you can now access the options via right-click on the project on the projects page and select “Edit comparison options…” and use the option “Exclude schema names”

19. When a repository is created from the database, both the package header and the package body are placed in a single file. It would be more usable if the spec and body were in separate files in the same folder with a .pks or .pkb extension respectively.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Neil Anderson responded

this will be in the next release of Schema Compare and Source Control for Oracle

20. Now the projects are listed in the order they were created. I would like to be able to sort them manually in a more logical order.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In the upcoming release (this week hopefully) the projects are sorted by name on startup. Not quite the flexibility you were after but I hope this will satisfy you for now.

What sorting at startup means is that renaming a project will not move it in the project order until the tool is restarted.

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?