Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

22 results found

1. SQL server 2019 new syntax, for instance for inline functions, is not supported by Redgate Source Control. Could you please add that support? There is another user with the same problem as described here.

Thanks in advance.
    Best,
    Jose.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When I installed Toolbelt I has SQL 2014 now I have added SSMS2016 and its only Prompt and SQL Test that is visible. I have tried running a reinstall but it tells me that the products are already installed - what's going on!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest version of SQL Source Control (5.7 / 5.8) in the Toolbelt should support both SSMS 2016 and SSMS 17. If you have problems, please don’t hesitate to contact support directly.

3. GIT seems to always get the short end of the stick. Can't do Object Locking, can't do Migrations, can't do Get Latest, can't View History.

Please stop treating GIT like the middle child in the Brady Bunch. GIT is totally Marsha, not Jan.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I love your request to much, I’m going to hate to close it as finished soon….

Git is a first-class citizen in SQL Source Control 4.1, which is scheduled to go out within a couple of weeks. You can get it right now if you sign up to the ‘Frequent Updates Channel’ (instructions here: https://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates).

We’ve added Commit, History, Push and Pull (Pull+Apply changes = Get Latest) for Git.

Object locking can be used with Git, but it’s a database-level thing, so is really only useful if you have multiple people sharing a database – a relatively uncommon set-up for Git users.

The latest version of Migrations, in SQL Source Control 5, now supports all version control systems, including Git.

Since that covers every item on your list, I’ll mark this as completed – but thanks for making us giggle too.

Mike Upton
    Technical Lead | SQL Source Control

4. In the SQL Source Control GUI add a button or checkbox to allow pushing changes to the remote repository. This saves having to go to the command-line or another GUI to push our changes up to the remote repository.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

Good news! SQL Source Control 4.1 now lets you push your changes in Git.

After you commit changes (which you can now do inside the tool, rather than just saving and committing externally), you have the option to push to the remote repository. Similarly, when you get latest, you can pull changes.

We think we’ve got the major actions covered now and that if you’re doing anything more advanced, you’d probably prefer to do it in your regular external git client.

But please tell us in separate UserVoice requests if there are other actions you would like surfaced in SSMS via SQL Source Control!

5. This is just a thought and I am in desperate need.

Can we do a fresh step of a database by using red sql source control.

even we generate a single script from tables and stored procedure folder but constraint will miss match.

Kindly share your views on this.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Anonymous responded

I’m going to mark this as complete, please do contact us if you’re still having issues.

6. SourceGear Vault 7.0 is out and now SQL Source Control no longer works. "Server edition is correct, but the version is wrong."

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Please add support for the current version of svn (1.8)

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support Vault Server version 6.0 that came out recently. Currently when trying to connect against that version, SSC responds with an error of "unsupported server version". It would be nice to make SSC 3.x work with Vault 6.x.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. It seems that right now migrations only support SVN, TFS and Vault - none of which I'm willing to use anymore. Please consider prioritizing support for Git/Mercurial.

935 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! Migrations support for Git/Mercurial is available – out of beta – in SQL Source Control 5.

If you’re new to SQL Source Control, you can try it out free for 28 days by downloading it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for your continued support, and please let us know if you have further feedback on this capability, or any others, in SQL Source Control!

10. We have gone though SQL source control and it workd perfectly with our Mercurial repository for schema changes. We also want some data changes to be source controlled like in some master tables , we have added some values. We want that these values should be added in the target database with the schema changes when the target db update itself by taking latest, so this type of feature i available in RedGate or we have to do some manual work for data changes. Kindly guide. Thanks

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. TFS Preview is TFS on Azure and although I can use the current process to set up using my TFS Preview URL TFS Preview uses Windows Live Credentials to connect, if I put them in the user name/ password boxes the connection fails.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please can we have migrations functionality for Perforce SCM

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am delighted to let you know that this is now released! You can now create migrations scripts with Perforce, using the working folders option in SQL Source Control.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

13. There is a bug with change tracking on both SQL Source Control and Schema Compare. When a script is generated to alter a table that has change tracking already enabled, the ENABLE CHANGE_TRACKING script is added to the script causing the whole script to fail because change tracking is already enabled. This bug has been there for a long time. This bug is making both products difficult to use. It has been reported multiple times but has not been fixed yet.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When checking in changes allow the user to link the changes to a Ticket ID in Fortress Item Tracking, adding a comment to that ticket and adding the ticket ID/details to the checkin comment. Also optionally allow the user to complete the ticket when checking the changes in.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gyorgy Pocsi responded

Using the latest Vault EA build (1.1.3.49) it’s possible to connect a commit to a ticket id. An example comment you could use to mark bug id 4 as completed:

Fixing that old bug #4 #completed

You can use any status string you have in use instead of completed.

15. Simply output create and alter scripts to a specified folder and its subfolders (e.g. Tables, Views, Stored Procedures, etc.). This would allow any arbitrary source control tool to be used to work with the repository.

Obviously, the SSMS integration would not be as full-featured, and the user would be responsible for updating, adding, deleting, and committing via their tool of choice.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gyorgy Pocsi responded

I’m happy to inform you that the new 2.0 EA now supports simple folder based operation. You can even specify command line operations for each source control operation.

Please give it a try and let us know your opinion!

To download the new EA please visit the following link:

https://www.surveymk.com/s/SqlSourceControl_EapSignup

You will need to download the VSS/Vault… version.

16. Can you consider implementing support for Bazaar VCS? Thanks!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Currently there are only choise of SVN and TFS but I think that support of the Mercurial would be really convenient.

86 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I do not want to switch to SVN or TFS. I'm already using CVS and it would be great if SQL Source Control would support CVS.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 149 votes
    Vote