Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. I accidentally tripped over the right click menu that allows you to edit filter rules after trying earlier in the day to find it and giving up. Suggest adding a button to the UI so it is more obvious.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gareth Bragg responded

As of SQL Source Control 3.8.11, you can access the ‘Edit Filter Rules’ option from a few places:

• A button on the Setup tab, under “Options just for this database”
    • Through the right click menu in the Management Studio Object Explorer
    • Through the right click menu on the SQL Source Control changes list
  2. Apparently SSC creates temporary workspaces when being called from SQL Compare (when using a source controlled version of the database as the source of the comparison), but it doesn't seem to clean up after itself completely. When I go to manage my workspaces in TFS, it is currently showing that I have over 50 temporary workspaces that were created by SSC. I can't swear to it, but I think this may have caused issues with our builds, as I have observed at one point that I inadvertently checked code files out to one of these temporary workspaces instead of my…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. The browse button makes using the product so much easier. Thanks for adding it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. After connecting Source control to the database, I am unable to change the Migration settings on the 'Setup' tab.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  fiona.gazeley responded

Migrations in SQL Source Control 5 no longer requires a separate repository, so you should now be able to use it with your setup.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

You can see other Migrations examples and tutorials here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Migration+script+examples

If you’ve stuck with us since 2011, many thanks. If not, maybe now is a good time to give the product another look? :-)

5. When setting up filter rules, it would be useful if we could use some regular expressions on the criteria. We have several objects that we would like to exclude from source control when they end with a string of 6 numbers. The numbers are different for each object, so if we could use some simple regular expressions, we could filter out objects that end with [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9].

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gareth Bragg responded

As of SQL Source Control 3.8.13, filter rules now support the standard T-SQL LIKE syntax for wildcard characters (‘%’, ‘_’, ‘[abc]’, and ‘[^abc]’ – see MSDN for details).

To include wildcard characters explicitly in a filter, they can be escaped with square brackets.

‘Equals’ and ‘Does not equal’ operators will not treat those characters as special wildcard characters.

6. There is a bug with change tracking on both SQL Source Control and Schema Compare. When a script is generated to alter a table that has change tracking already enabled, the ENABLE CHANGE_TRACKING script is added to the script causing the whole script to fail because change tracking is already enabled. This bug has been there for a long time. This bug is making both products difficult to use. It has been reported multiple times but has not been fixed yet.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I had to uninstall RedGate SQL Toolbelt today, and this involved uninstalling 13 separate products individually. It would be nice if the easy installer could uninstall just as easily.

(So you aren't disappointed that I uninstalled: I was switching over to the MySQL tools.)

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I dropped a sp and I would like to know in which version I dropped it (I'm entering our version number in the comments)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When evaluating schema for changes compared to source controlled versions is would be nice to be able to use the same options available in SQL Compare project options.

For instance changing a comment on a line already containing a comment isn't detected as a change, additionally format (whitespace) changes are not detected as well.

While this specific scenario is important to my development process not everyone will need the same scenario supported, but the compare options available in SQL Compare are a great place start allowing users control how changes are detected.

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 includes a mechanism to allow comparison options to be configured. To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository’s Working Base folder. The following article describes how to configure this option: http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/GeneralContent/knowledgebase/SQL_Source_Control/KB201202000521

Our plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow users to configure the comparison options that are changed most often, but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

If you’d like to see an options dialog exposing these settings in SQL Source Control, please vote on the following idea – https://redgate.uservoice.com/admin/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/2615460-add-an-options-dialog-to-allow-configuration-of-co – and let us know which options you’d like to see exposed in the dialog.

10. When I try to commit changes it says unknown user. I believe it is very important to be able to track who's making what changes.

112 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. We have views with schemabinding set to true in SQL2008, SQL Source Control does not recognize that there is a dependency and throws and error.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  James Billings responded

Having tested this out, the product does handle the schemabinding option on views. If a table needs to be rebuilt, it will alter the view to remove the schemabinding, update the table, then alter the view again to put the setting back.

The specific problem here was unable to be determined after following up with Nick and may have just been a one-off.

12. We are only interested in source controling the object definitions. We have a lot of volatile permission changes which we don't want to record, and its actually a hug obstacle constantly having to go in and check off 300 objects to commit just because someone changed a users permissions on them.

62 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 has been released and allows you to configure comparison options – inlcuding ‘Ignore Permissions’. To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository’s Working Base folder. The following article describes how to do this: http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/GeneralContent/knowledgebase/SQL_Source_Control/KB201202000521

Our plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow users to configure the comparison options that are changed most often, but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

If you’d like to see an options dialog exposing these settings in SQL Source Control, please vote on the following idea – https://redgate.uservoice.com/admin/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/2615460-add-an-options-dialog-to-allow-configuration-of-co – and let us know which options you’d like to see exposed in the dialog.

13. Redgate source control does not seem to recognize column Index's fill factor..

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control 3.0 is now available and includes a fix for this issue. Fill Factor should now be recognised by default.

For more information about v3, please visit:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/

Further Update: SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 includes a mechanism to allow comparison options to be configured. To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository’s Working Base folder. The following article describes how to configure this option: http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/GeneralContent/knowledgebase/SQL_Source_Control/KB201202000521

14. Our static data tables can have a few thousand rows each. It's costly to have the rows compared every time the SQL Source Control tab is opened to push/pull schema changes (which are much faster to compute). Can the schema and data aspects of this tool be separated to prevent excessive comparisons on data that by nature changes very infrequently.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. On the Commit Changes and Get Lastest tab, you should include the last user that modified the object. Far too many times I have to ask all the developers to identify the objects that they have changed yet not committed. It would be nice to be able to see that.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. the option seems to have been removed in Source Control 2, we really found this a helpfull option so we wonder why is was removed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There’s only 1 link, but it can do either. If you link to an empty folder, then that’s like a “new” link. If you link to a folder that contains a RedGate.ssc file, then that will link to the existing repository location. :-)

17. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gyorgy Pocsi responded

There was a bug in the first EA, which caused problems when trying to do the initial commit for large number of objects. It’s now fixed, please get the latest version.

18. When committing large numbers of changes under CVS, the commit fails with error message 'command line too long'.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When we look at the RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml file, it appears as one long line of text. Merging this is nigh on impossible because the one line conflicts. It would be nice if it was written in a pretty xml format to help with merging

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I know it doesn't really matter, but I like my columns to be in a consistent order. I would like any table DDL to cause the table to be regenerated if necessary in order to ensure that column ordering is maintained.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?