Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. Currently there are only choise of SVN and TFS but I think that support of the Mercurial would be really convenient.

86 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I do not want to switch to SVN or TFS. I'm already using CVS and it would be great if SQL Source Control would support CVS.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Here is the scenario I going about. During iteration several developer does their check-ins and they do not create a migration script since then on Databases. But when it time to push build its a pain to go back to previous version of database and generate migration script using SQL Compare. Can't we have an option to generate a script right from SSMS by doing a diff between the two checked in revision in version control. Also another idea may be to allow create snapshot right from SSMS and developer can generate a script from that snapshot. We can have…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. For continuous integration purposes, I would like to commit schema changes with changes in my project (e.g. C#) so that any related changes to classes / unit tests are commited in the same revision.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In SQL Source Control v3.4, there is now an option to link your database to a working folder. On the commit tab, there is an option to “Save” the database changes to the working folder. This scripts the objects and static data to files. You can then use your own version control system’s tool to commit the changes alongside other changes that also exist in this area. The folder for the database needs to be separate from the other files, so it might be nice to have a top level project folder with a folder for the application and another folder for the database below. Therefore, to commit both application and database changes, you would commit from the higher project folder. You can also have more folders for documentation and other things that you want to source control.
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/

5. Can we have control over how often the source control / database is polled for changes? I see the changes are reflected almost immediately but reallly i dont need it to run that often - Can you let me configure how often the change polling occurs.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. One of the problems with a shared db model, where all developers work against the same database, is that everyone's changes are listed on the Commit List. It would be nice if only my changes were shown. There should be someway to filter the list to just my changes, or at least show the username in a column so that it can be sorted on.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Hello,

we use SQL Compare and Subversion. We have already checked in a SQL Compare Script Folder. It would be great if you can use that Script Folder for link a database. In the actual Version there comes the error message that a project file for SQL Source Control is missing.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It keeps saying these need to be 'commited', even though they are up to date.

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Cities] ADD CONSTRAINT [enforcesridgeometryCity] CHECK (([STSrid]=(0)))
    ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Cities] ADD CONSTRAINT [enforce
    sridgeometryCity] CHECK (([geom].[STSrid]=(0)))

Table recreation code.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Cities](
    [CityID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
    [State] [char](2) NULL,
    [StateID] [int] NULL,
    [Name] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
    [LSAD] [tinyint] NULL,
    [LSADTRANS] [nvarchar](16) NULL,
    [geom] [geometry] NULL,
    CONSTRAINT [PK
    CityF2D21A9643D61337] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
    [CityID] ASC
    )WITH (PAD
    INDEX = OFF, STATISTICSNORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNOREDUPKEY = OFF, ALLOWROWLOCKS = ON, ALLOWPAGE_LOCKS = ON)…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. We need SQL Source Control to comply with the policies in force for the project. eg. Checkin policies, associate with workitem policy.

57 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control 3.3 now evaluates TFS policies when committing DB changes. For more information see http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC3/This+commit+doesn%27t+meet+the+server%27s+policy+requirements%2C+or+the+policy+isn%27t+configured+on+your+machine.

To upgrade, use SQL Source Control’s “Help > Check for Updates…” menu item, or download directly from http://www.red-gate.com/dynamic/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/download.

10. By linking to a subfolder of an existing workspace and maintaining the copy there, it would be possible to allow an external program to handle the actual commit, and by that including the SQL changes into a bigger revision

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. You really should take a look at Tortoise. They've been doing this for a while and they really do a great job most of the time.

When I commit and it succeeds, I need the revision number that the commit generates for logging/tracking purposes. Your interface just skips over that, hiding all the information that SVN is likely returning (Tortoise will even show us what it's doing during the commit). For me, the more important thing is getting that revision. Otherwise, I have to go into a project (non-SQL) and do an update or grab the log...neither of which you…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I find the "Recent Messages" button on the TortoiseSVN Windows client extremely useful. I really miss this feature on SSC.

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. The WorkingBases are saved on disk C:\Documents and Settings...”.
    To save disk space on C:\, we would like the Working Bases on the disque D:\ (we have databases with more than 5000 procs). Is there a setup somewehere ?

47 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When I first pull up the interface when I'm about to commit some changes (whether via the context menu in the Object Explorer or just clicking into the SQL SC window), you list all changes and select them all by default. That's not a big deal. The problem is, if I try to uncheck one item (not the check box at the top of the list) you'll uncheck ALL items since they're ALL highlighted.

This isn't normal UI behavior. If I'm checking one checkbox, I mean to check that one checkbox, not everything selected, even if I have them all…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

Hello! We fixed the issue with weird checkbox behaviour quite a long time ago. If you’re still now happy with how selection works, could you please let us know?

16. Keep Mine has always worked fine for me until today. Now when I click on keep mine it doesn't let me mark the SP as resolvable but if I choose take theirs it does.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you want to “Keep Mine,” then you need to be on the Commit tab to see the checkbox at the top get selected. Nothing happens until you actually hit the Commit button.

If you want to “Take Theirs,” then you should be on the Get Latest tab. Again, the radio buttons at the bottom just acknowledge what you want to do with the object, but nothing happens until you actually click the “Get Latest” button.

So, if you’re on the Get Latest tab, you can say Keep Mine, but you won’t be able to do anything with that object until you go to the Commit tab. If you are in the same SSMS and you switch tabs, then we should remember your “Keep Mine” acknowledgement and this object should be selected on the Commit tab.

I hope this helps.

17. In a dedicated db model, a conflict will occur when User1 and User2 both make a change to Table1. User1 commits the change successfully. When User2 tries to commit, they will be notified of the conflict. User2 must then decide if they want to take what's in source control or keep their version and commit this to source control. In either case, User2 may need to reapply some changes to the db and re-commit.

In a centralized db model, when all developers are working against the same db, these conflicts should NOT occur.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I'm getting the following error when adding the objects to subversion for the first time.
    It breaks in the following partition function:

CREATE PARTITION FUNCTION FDICPeoRangePartitionFn(smalldatetime)
    AS
    RANGE LEFT FOR VALUES('12-31-1975')

This is the error:

Failed to update:

oEc.#8Jf: Errors occured whilst parsing file C:\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 0\WorkingBases\3no2fm25.di2\Storage\Partition Functions\FDICPeoRangePartitionFn.sql

'line 3:14: unexpected token: [",",<642>,line=3,col=14] [char=102]'
    ---> #Eyg.#Lyg: Errors occured whilst parsing file C:\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 0\WorkingBases\3no2fm25.di2\Storage\Partition Functions\FDICPeoRangePartitionFn.sql
    'line 3:14: unexpected token: [",",<642>,line=3,col=14] [char=102]'
    ---> line 3:14: unexpected token: [",",<642>,line=3,col=14] [char=102]
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at #Eyg.#Gyg.#CGh(FileInfo file)
    at…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. If i make a table column which was nullable initially to a non-nullable; and then commit this change to svn. On the other computer, when i update from svn, what happens to the data? as the records in this table may have the null values in the column i just changed.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. It looks like each commit adds a CREATE script. To be really useful in a continuous integration environment, we'd need ALTER scripts. Ideally each commit would generate a CREATE for the complete object, and an ALTER from the previous revision.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?