Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. As my Windows C: partition has quite low free space I regularly inspect what files occupy considerably amount of space. Since I have SQL SourceControl installed, there are hundreds of MBs occupied in addition! The reason is, that SQLSourceControl creates log files and stores them in

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen<userid>\Lokale Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control 1

This is bad and SQL Source Control should offer a configuration/option/preferences feature to set the directory for these log files (and if log files should be created at all!).

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Our TFS server is located in a hosting center so that multiple offices can use it simultaneously. We use a TFS Proxy Server locally in each office to cache the data so that it is much faster to work with.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Instead on relying on the user to create the database and all the file groups, files and getting the collation correct, source control should do this for the user. it could perhaps prompt for a file location to put all the files but if I've gone through the effort of making file groups and sizing my files just right, I want those changes to be kept!

43 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I've checked in a database with users, roles, tables, stored procs etc.

I've then created a new database, linked it with the repo, tried to get latest and it throws an error. The script tries to create the roles and assign users to the roles but it never creates the users. Looking through the repo, the scripts to create the users exist, but source control isn't trying to create them.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Similar to the Object Explorer pane in SMSS, integrate the Source Control Explorer from TFS. This way, it isn't necessary to also have Visual Studio open to navigate branches, create new folder on the fly, etc...

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. There need to be some options for how the code is written to source control. We have strict requirements and all our code must go in with a required header to it. It would be perfect if we could put this header in SQL Source so all code coming in would always have it. That way when changes occurred to that header we could more easily make a change. The other more important issue however is user rights assignment. Currently each object stores what user has rights to that object in the database you keep synced with source control. That…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Refresh/Commit always is performed on all databse objects. Even if I just change 1 object, I have to wait until all is refresehd, unselect all changes that I don't want (from other objects), commit and then wait again until everything is refreshed.

By default the refresh/update/commit should only be used for the select object(s) in the object explorer. You can offer configuration or buttons to "refresh all" or a checkbox "perform for all objects".

The automatic refresh eats unnecessary time during development.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. In our set-up there are two databases, one that's used as a template and an actual working database for the application we're developing. The development takes place in the template database and then the changes are moved over to the working database (we have a staging database in which we test the changes with real data).

We would like to link the staging database to source control so that updates to it can be applied easier.

The problem is that we're using user-based authentication to allow only specific users access to specific stored procedures and SQL Source Control treats user…

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. BUG:Inital commit, Symmetric key is not added to TFS. atleast show the user that these list of items he has to add them himself

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Auto checkout from TFS on modify of sql object, and show the object as checked out in SQL Mgt Studio for other users in case of shared configuration.

76 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Can this work if I already have a VS Database project setup? Meaning can this work and interact with a VS Database project so that I can continue working on the actual db in SSMS, but the files get saved to the VS Db Project?

215 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ability to use custom templates, i.e. for table creation, to be able to add EXIST / DROP statements and permissions

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. create an option to change the default password it uses when creating users

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. If I unselected an assembly (since it is 32bit and I am x64) allow me a way to unselect all dependent objects easily. If I don't select an item I have a prompt to select dependecies but not the reverse.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. We have an automated system for building our developer environments. It would be nice to have a command line tool that we can use as part of the machine build script to pull down the latest version of the database, build the initial database and link that database back to the TFS source. Our platform consists of quite a large number of databases so linking to them all manually via the UI is a bit tedious.

476 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Kendra responded

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and votes for this over the years.

I’d like to surface up a workaround for the “linking” problem which is mentioned in the comments. For the use case of easing pains around environment setup with a large number of databases, we have had customers find success using code based off Alessandro Alpi’s blog post: https://alessandroalpi.blog/2016/06/28/automatically-link-databases-to-red-gate-sql-source-control/

I do understand that this is a broader issue and hear that many of you also want command line or API support for the product in general.

If there are specific scenarios or workflows that would be useful to automate for you, this feedback is also very useful, and if you have details on the type of VCS you use and the workflow (such as a branching model) that it would fit in to, that would be very helpful for us to hear as well.

16. When adding a database to source control, all kinds of subfolders as created(data,assemblies,...) but these folder are not finegrained enough. for instance we do it by schema first then we use the same kind of subfolders.
    So if we have a Import and Base schema, then in subversion we have the procedure/functions folder under Import and under Base.

It would be nice to be able to choose the folders themselves and also where to put a function and so on.. this gives more flexibility.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Backup a database which is under revision control (with SQL Source Control), modify an SP and commit it. Then restore the DB (rolls back the SP). Source Control see the changed SP and allows me to commit it, but Get Latest doesn't.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Changing the Lock Escalation property of a table in SQL 2008 SSMS is not detected as a change by SQL Source Control.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. We have used PVCS for 15 years for all our development source control. Is it possible to connect RedGate source control to a PVCS archive?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Project management issue tracking software (Gemini, JIRA etc) use BugID to link checkins against issues. This allows for a managers to oversee progress on issues and other things (eg: risk of change, code review etc). The SVN BugID (a checkin property) is how a development code checkin is linked to an issue. Add this, and I can integrate our solutions easier at a CMMI level 3-5

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

For now, enter your BugID into the comment field when you commit changes.

Please continue to vote/comment here if you would like to see a seperate Bug ID box like TSVN has. See James’ comment for more details.

• Don't see your idea?