Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. I know it doesn't really matter, but I like my columns to be in a consistent order. I would like any table DDL to cause the table to be regenerated if necessary in order to ensure that column ordering is maintained.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. In a case-INsensitive collation, I changed the name of a stored procedure to fix a capitalization issue. This was first detected as a change (displayed the blue dot on the procedure and hierarchy in Object Explorer) but then when I went to the Commit Changes window and clicked the Refresh button, nothing appeared, and the blue dots disappeared.

Even though my data collation is not case sensitive, I would have expected this to be recognized as a name change.

Using version 1.1.3.4 connected to a Fortress 2.0.x repository.

120 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. It appears the new History feature is using Universal Time Code instead of the local time that is used everywhere else.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. We have pre-commit hooks enabled in SVN to make sure a reference to a Jira ticket is entered and creating a fresh DB link fails with these enabled as SSC will try to add a standard comment that does not match the required format. Every action requiring an SVN log message, should prompt for one

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Simply output create and alter scripts to a specified folder and its subfolders (e.g. Tables, Views, Stored Procedures, etc.). This would allow any arbitrary source control tool to be used to work with the repository.

Obviously, the SSMS integration would not be as full-featured, and the user would be responsible for updating, adding, deleting, and committing via their tool of choice.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gyorgy Pocsi responded

I’m happy to inform you that the new 2.0 EA now supports simple folder based operation. You can even specify command line operations for each source control operation.

Please give it a try and let us know your opinion!

To download the new EA please visit the following link:

https://www.surveymk.com/s/SqlSourceControl_EapSignup

You will need to download the VSS/Vault… version.

6. That within the SSMS the ability to generate a create database script off of the repository. I know you can do this in mgmt studio, but being able to have a full script in the repository that will build the database at that version would be sweet.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I wanted to test rebuilding my DB from nothing but when I created a new DB with the same name as the old one, SQL source control showed it as already linked (odd but not a problem) but then it told me there were no changes to get and it wanted to commit a drop of everything!

I worked around it by naming the new DB something different

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Is there an option to ignore extended properties

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 includes a mechanism to allow comparison options to be configured, including ‘Ignore Extended Properties’. To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository’s Working Base folder. The following article describes how to configure this option: http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/GeneralContent/knowledgebase/SQL_Source_Control/KB201202000521

Our plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow users to configure the comparison options that are changed most often, but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

If you’d like to see an options dialog exposing these settings in SQL Source Control, please vote on the following idea – https://redgate.uservoice.com/admin/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/2615460-add-an-options-dialog-to-allow-configuration-of-co – and let us know which options you’d like to see exposed in the dialog.

9. After unlinking a database, I end up with an abandoned workingbase folder. Frequently unlinking/relinking (to emulate an SVN SWITCH between branches) builds up a whole bunch of sizeable folders in workingbase.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When I mark an object, I get the differences at the bottom of the window. In one pane is the old and in the other the new sql code.
    I would like to mark and copy this code but the copy functionality isn't available for these two panes.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Can you consider implementing support for Bazaar VCS? Thanks!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Oog, each commit is like five minutes. Neither standard commits of source code (same SVN server) nor redgate SQL Compare actions (same local database server) take that long!

Keywords: Performance, Speed, Fast

312 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have been doing a lot of work on SQL Source Control lately. We’ve recently improved performance when you link a database, go to the commit and get latest tabs (especially subsequent visits where we can rely on data being cached), and when selecting/deselecting all on the commit and get latest tabs.

If you are still experiencing performance problems, please make a new suggestion that is very specific to what you would like us to work on. Is it a specific step in the commit process that is taking a long time? Is it viewing history that is taking a long time?

We’ve also started to work on this suggestion, Don’t refresh the commit/get latest automatically, https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/462220-don-t-refresh-the-commit-get-latest-automatically, which will also help with performance.

Contact support@red-gate.com if you can share your database schema with us for performance testing purposes.

If you are experiencing problems with server load, please see http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC33/Changing+or+disabling+the+database+polling+interval

13. I would like to see history by object. For eg, we should be able to see history for Customer table or Customer.GetOrder sp.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. It would make much more sense to me to be able to look at the Commit Changes tab to see what's been changed and right click on an item and choose undo if I need to revert it.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It's quite common, when refactoring a set of tables to be able to migrate data from an existing structure into a new structure. This typically happens in 3 steps.

Create the new structure.

Migrate the data from the old structure.
    Delete the old structure.

From what I can tell of SSC, this is not possible.

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Here is the scenario I going about. During iteration several developer does their check-ins and they do not create a migration script since then on Databases. But when it time to push build its a pain to go back to previous version of database and generate migration script using SQL Compare. Can't we have an option to generate a script right from SSMS by doing a diff between the two checked in revision in version control. Also another idea may be to allow create snapshot right from SSMS and developer can generate a script from that snapshot. We can have…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. By linking to a subfolder of an existing workspace and maintaining the copy there, it would be possible to allow an external program to handle the actual commit, and by that including the SQL changes into a bigger revision

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I do not want to switch to SVN or TFS. I'm already using CVS and it would be great if SQL Source Control would support CVS.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I like the ability to right click on a single item and select commit to source control. However, when doing this SQL Source control calculates all of the changes in the database. Can the behavior be changed here to only show the changes for the object selected to commit?

Thanks

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Even though we calculate all the changes, only the object you right-clicked on should be checked. (It should also be scrolled into view, if you have a long list.) Therefore, you can commit just this 1 object.

20. It keeps saying these need to be 'commited', even though they are up to date.

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Cities] ADD CONSTRAINT [enforcesridgeometryCity] CHECK (([STSrid]=(0)))
    ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Cities] ADD CONSTRAINT [enforce
    sridgeometryCity] CHECK (([geom].[STSrid]=(0)))

Table recreation code.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Cities](
    [CityID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
    [State] [char](2) NULL,
    [StateID] [int] NULL,
    [Name] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
    [LSAD] [tinyint] NULL,
    [LSADTRANS] [nvarchar](16) NULL,
    [geom] [geometry] NULL,
    CONSTRAINT [PK
    CityF2D21A9643D61337] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
    [CityID] ASC
    )WITH (PAD
    INDEX = OFF, STATISTICSNORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNOREDUPKEY = OFF, ALLOWROWLOCKS = ON, ALLOWPAGE_LOCKS = ON)…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?