Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. Would be good if there was a checkbox to ignore replicated objects. If in the context of the DB (without going to the [distribution] database) you can't tell which objects are replicated, then at least an option to exclude the transactional replication spMSins%/spMSupd%/spMSdel% procedures without having to explicitly add them to the filter.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I have found a bug that should be fixed to improve teamwork.

These are the steps to reproduce the bug I found:

Case 1
    1. Lock a DB object on machine A with user X
    2. Watch the DB object in machine B with user Z
    3. ☹ The locked-Icon does not apper on machine B (I have set the indicator update time to 5 seconds)

Case 2
    1. Modify on machine A the locked DB-Object
    2. Execute the stored procedure
    3. 😊 The modified and locked icon does appear an machine B

Case 3
    1. Modify on machine A…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Hi - we use git in Azure DevOps. I have a few options for cloning,

1. command line (which tbh i dont use much),
    2. 'git gui' - which is reliable and easy
    3. clone using visual studio from azure devops which doesnt work too much.

it would be nice to be able to do the clone from the redgate sql source control GUI though

ALSO

When linking the database it would be nice to have a shortcut to

c:\users\username\source\repos - this is where visual studio seems to default to and is a pain to browse to each time.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When adding an extended property to any table that contains non-varchar or -nvarchar extended properties, three lines of junk code are added to the bottom of the object script file for each of those extended properties (declaring a variable, setting that variable with a select, and a GO).

I believe that this may be related to an issue in the Compare engine that I already opened here https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare/suggestions/39729406-more-efficient-scripting-for-non-varchar-nvarchar — it's really beginning to seem like Compare and Source Control aren't usable unless your database modelling follows the pattern that Redgate expects. I don't think it should be that way round…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. for a number of databases we have a lot of post-deployment steps - basically to add conditional data to tables (that cant be solved by table linking) or adding SQL Jobs.
    Currently this can all be thrown in a post-deploy script, but this makes it monolithic and much harder to see changes in objects.

SQLCMD syntax would solve this problem (:r .filename.sql), but even executing everything in the post-deploy directory in alpha order would make the post-deploy much more manageble

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. We use SQL Source Control with TFS. It would beneficial if we could tie multiple task IDs to one commit and all changes would in one change set.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Instead of having to address each database separately to link to SOC, why not have an option on the SQL Server instance to right-click and "Link All" databases in one fell swoop.
    We plan to implement SQL Source Control and hundreds of databases need to be linked to SOC. We have been directed to some Powershell options which are supposed to link all databases automatically but that option is not working at our installation

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. From SQL Source Control 7.1.9, the "Migrations" feature has been removed. This is a significant loss. We're told to use SQL Change Automation instead. But that has additional cost - and is only available as the full SQL Toolbelt.
    It would make sense to include SQL Change Automation components, but without the continuous integration parts to replace this loss of functionality.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Have the server name of the database (I.E. DEV, TEST, PRODUCTION, etc.) displayed to the right of the database name.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Create a search filter for SQL Source Control, we can have hundreds of objects in our source control, it would be great if you could search by object name and within the objects themselves on a search filter.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. "Take theirs" and "Keep mine" are an all or nothing option, I would like to have more control over this and be able to keep my new records but take the updated, or keep my updated records but take the new records, for example.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. After linking a DB to Git, I was trying to get back to the Setup Options that are hidden behind the "Setup" tab/button in the top button bar.
    The bar was hidden behind the Update banner. As a new user, I didn't even know that bar existed, so I didn't know that I could get there by clicking the "Remind me later" option, until I had opened a ticket with support

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. With 100s or 1000s of tables it becomes quite tricky to find objects in the static data link / unlink UI. Therefore, I suggest adding a search textbox there as well as making the UI columns (name, key, schema) sortable.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Introduce something similar to the "IGNORE" rules found in your Schema compare for Oracles solution to the SQL Server Source Control product.
    The problem that exists for those of us with third party databases that have 10's of thousands of objects is that they are not workable using this product because it ONLY applies the filter AFTER it has already tried to extract and manage the ENTIRE database. The "IGNORE" option would allow us capabilities similar to filter but they would be applied UP FRONT and BEFORE the system ever tried to gather and manage every single object in the…

47 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When attempting to get latest changes and an error occurs, please be more detailed (e.g table, data, column, etc.) that caused the error that will allow user to correct the error. It is possible the user getting the latest change was the person responsible for the error, making it difficult to trouble shoot when your database is relatively large.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When displaying the Static Data differences in SQL Source Control it would be very useful to show the number of records that are Different/Identical/In Database Only/In Source Control Only.

When tables have thousands of records it can be difficult to know the scale of what you’re about to check in or get by just scrolling down a long list. A tab displaying the records for each distinct group would be even better.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Currently there is not easy way to see or restore a deleted object that was committed. The object code is still in Source Control - but no easy way to see or restore it using SSMS.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Currently, SQL Source Control and SQL Compare have an option to "Ignore tSQLt framework and tests". We want to create our tests in dev and include them in our stage deployments for regression testing. The current setting ignores the framework AND our custom test code.

We want the Red Gate tools to ignore only the framework, but not the custom tests. We will manage the framework install separately. Ideally, there would be separate ignore checkbox rule options, one for the framework and another for our tests.

We have to set the current option to unchecked ("don't ignore") and then set…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. This would allow for the option to move the newer revision pane to be on the left and the older revision on the right.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add snowflake support

99 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Kendra responded

As David mentioned in the comments, we currently recommend Flyway to help version changes for Snowflake.

Flyway doesn’t help with authoring or scripting changes, but it does provide a framework and guidelines to consistently version your changes in a deployable fashion that’s suitable for automation.

https://flywaydb.org/documentation/database/snowflake

Thank you for the suggestion and comments, as well those who have voted.

• Don't see your idea?