Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. It would be very cool if this tool would auto complete changed objects in the commit message like TortoiseSVN.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. At current we have SQL source control running in a remote environment. However, a DB - SVN link is stored for each user account, and is not transparent to the other developers.

Worse yet, with each developer having their own workcopy in their local profile, the same data will be duplicated several times. Also: conflicts will arise since each workspace updates on its own, while the DB might already be updated from another workspace.

Therefor: Suggest to keep 1 workspace per DB, to prevent issues of multiple workspaces or repositories linked to the same DB.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I can select multiple items by click/draging over the items, however it will only allow me to select what is on the current screen.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Do you have a wheel on your mouse? Once you highlight the items in view, just roll your mouse wheel to keep going down the list.

Another way to do this is to click the first row, hold the shift key down, and scroll down to the last row and click again. This will allow you to highlight everything.

Also, there’s a checkbox in the column header of the Commit/Get list if you want to uncheck/check everything all at once.

I hope this helps.
    Stephanie Herr
    Project Manager SQL Source Control

5. I recently connected to my database as a new user with minimal privileges (just data_reader). Later I went to SQL Source control to see changes (forgetting I was logged in as the restricted user) and the output was scary - every SP was marked as deleted and most tables were marked as edited (text replaced with 'encrypted').

I didn't have the courage to hit commit just to see what happened - it was too scary seeing my entire database marked for deletion!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Button says Get Latest. Incorrcet Subversion term. SVN Update or something similar will prevent the confusion.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. We already maintain our database scripts in SVN (using Tortoise), and are very keen to change over to your product.

We include the SVN keyword $Id$ in a comment at the top of every object file. When we commit, SVN automatically updates this to provide the Date, Author and Revision number of the last commit. This means that we're easily able to see which version of a particular stored procedure or function is in a client's database.

SQL Source Control doesn't like this though. When I commit a change through SQL Source Control, the Id is updated by SVN, and…

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re currently not planning to support this for v1. Would you be ok to remove the $id$ keyword for now?

We’ll have to see how many votes this suggestion gets…

Internal reference number: SOC-113

8. Not everyone will want to use SQLCompare for continuous integration for various reasons. Adding an option to include an if exists...drop statement with certain types of objects means that all scripts can still be CREATE scripts while allowing for other CI implementations.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

For now, you may be able to use a batch file that executes SQL and drops the objects you want re-created before using the SQL Compare Command Line API. Since the objects are dropped, the synch script will generate CREATE scripts instead of alter.

If you wanted to create everything from scratch, you could drop and recreate the database, which would generate all CREATE scripts.

I hope this helps for now.

9. It would be nice to be able to automatically commit changes in the background when an object is created or modified.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I inadvertently put [] into lots of my column names and this broke RedGate. Google found something that might help explain:

I eventually fixed it by dropping the tables, which caused RedGate to run a create table statement rather than sp_rename.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/509970/object-id-does-not-handle-object-names-with-square-brackets?wa=wsignin1.0

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The ability to maintain replication (scripts) as a source control object.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I've just had a stored procedure that I haven't modified come up as having changes to commit. The Previous and Next buttons are disabled as though there are no differences and I can't see any differences. Yet it repeatedly comes up as an object with changes. Huh?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I have a database managed in SVN. On my development machine I deleted it and then recreated it with the same name. RedGate maintained the link to SVN despite the drop (ok, doesn't bother me) but it then marked every object in the database as being in conflict

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a known issue. I’m glad you’re ok that the link to SVN is maintained. The problem is the underlying working folder is out of date.

WORKAROUND:
    Option 1)
    On the setup tab, unlink the db from source control. If you still want to manage the db in SVN, then relink.

Option 2)
    Use the Commit or Get Latest tabs to decide if you want to keep the version in your db and commit it or take the version that is in source control. After making a decision using the radio buttons in the differences pane at the bottom of these tabs, you must then click the Commit and/or Get Latest buttons to actually perform the action.

HINT: You can select multiple rows by selecting 1 row and then hitting Ctrl-A or select the top row and then hold the shift key down and select the…

14. We use SVN with the config ". = svn:needs-lock=*" to automatically lock files on all our repositories (parameter in the config file of SVN on the computer of the developer).
    So a source file can be modified by only one developer at a time.
    It looks it’s a problem with SQL Source Control because the files in the local directory of the working databases are in read only.
    When I commit a change, I have the message “Do not have permissions to modify the file C:\Documents and settings...\Stored Procedures\dbo.PS_select.sql”.
    The commit is stopped.
    Of course, we would like to…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We currently do not support lock or exclusive checkouts (lock-modify-unlock model). We are supporting a copy-modify-merge model.

In order to use SQL Source Control, you’ll need to use this model for now until we implement locking/exclusive checkouts in a future release.

To do this, undo the change to the Subversion configuration file, remove the needs-lock property from any file in the repository, manually svn update the WorkingBases directory, unlink and then relink the db in SSMS.

Depending on your OS, related files can be found in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control 0
    or
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control 0

1) Right click on WorkingBases\\Stored Procedures\dbo.PS_select.sql
    and select Properties
    *You can find the which corresponds to your db by looking in the LinkedDatabases.xml file.
    2) Select the “Subversion” tab at the top
    3) Click the “Properties…” button near the bottom
    4) Is there a svn:needs-lock property?…

15. I have about 800 objects. I can only add 100 to 200 objects at one time. If I try to add too many it fails.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This sounds like a problem we’ve seen before. Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed? If so, this could cause a problem when committing a large number of objects, which is usually the case when first committing an existing database to source control. Your workaround of doing a smaller partial commit seems to fit this expected behaviour.

To get around this, please configure Security Essentials to exclude LOCALAPPDATA\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 0\ from live protection.

16. I want an option for all scripts and directories to have no whitespace in their file names. For example "Database Triggers" would be "DatabaseTriggers". This makes working manually with the scripts from the command line much easier.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I have seen no way on how to actually do a merge with SVN and mark as merged etc
    We really need a more inutuitive way to merge the changes to SVN and vice versa. At the moment I am getting conflicts that I can't put into SVN because there is no way to say it has been merged, or even how to merge the changes.

131 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I've found that frequently when I change something about a table (add a column for example), then when I do a diff of that table from SQL Source Control before checking in, the diff shows that the order of the Foreign Keys has changed. For example, it might list FK1, the FK2, and then FK3 on the left side of the diff, and FK2, FK3, and then FK1 on the right side of the diff. The definitions of the foreign keys have not changed, just the order in which they're scripted. So, this is…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. TFS integrations really needs you to specify which workspace you are working with. This does wrong right from the start - when I try to link a database to TFS, it asks for the source URI and data folder, but it will only accept data folders already checked in, not that I have created in my workspace.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I'm having problems retrieving a recursive table-valued function from SVN so I tried to do it manually in stages which didn't work because SQL Source Control kept attempting to drop the function and then recreate it.

The steps I followed were:
    1. Refresh the get latest tab and copy the function from the differences window.
    2. Paste that SQL script into SSMS
    3. Remove the part of the function that does the recursion (the second half of a UNION so the return type is still the same)
    4. Execute the script to create the object
    5. Get latest from SQL…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)