SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

How can we improve SQL Source Control?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Get specific version from source control (SVN: Update to revision)

Instead of Get Latest, I want to be able to get a specific version out of source control and reapply it to the database. This would allow me to rollback changes that were accidentally committed. I should be able to specify what version/revision that I want to go back to.

This is the same as getting a previous version from source control so that I can debug an issue a user found in a previous release.

185 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

We are considering this feature as a candidate for SQL Source Control 5.

You can still work around this by using SQL Source Control with SQL Compare Pro. Just highlight the specific version in the history that you want and click the “Update to this version using SQL Compare Pro” button.

A free trial of SQL Compare Pro is available at http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Compare.

The SSMS Integration Pack, which comes with SQL Compare Pro also allows you to deploy directly from SQL Source Control repositories.

2. Square brackets

Please add an option to script the database objects with square brackets around the object names. The Microsoft Management Studio Scripts include Brackets around the object names when they are scripted. So, if an objects is scripted from SSMS then run against the database it show up as being different in Source Control because the brackets were included in the SSMS script. Of course, you can manually remove the brackets before running the script but this will be cumbersome. I know that using the file that has been checked into SVN is another work around but we all know that…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Error during applying changes to live DB

The error should consist more detailed data. Like from which procedure, function or table such error was thrown. I assume my error has nothing to do with SQL Source Control, it's my DB ;)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Get to an object's properties from the "Commit Changes" tab

It’d be cool if from the “Commit Changes” tab you could get to the objects properties or at least get it selected in the Object Explorer, maybe from a double / right click?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support SSMSE (SQL Server Management Studio Express)

I can't install because I am forced to cancel the installation. It refuses to install because it says SSMS is required... while I have SSMSE installed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We currently support SSMS 2005,2008 , and 2008 R2 connecting to SQL Server 2005, 2008, or 2008 R2 databases. (We currently do NOT support any SSMS Express editions.)

8. Agent jobs

Would be great if SQL Server Agent jobs could be incorporated into SVN

473 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Explore Window

Explorer Windows to view what is already in subversion from the linked database

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Link to TortoiseSVN Repo Browser

Can we have a link to TortoiseSVN so we can review the repository from SSMS please?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make the SVN version more prominent

make the SVN version more prominent so (as SVN continues to evolve) I can insure consistency in SVN tools between Sql Source Control, VisualSVN, TortoiseSVN, and the Collabnet SVN Command-line client.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Schedule commit

Ability to schedule that changes are committed daily/weekly/...

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. It automatically saves my credentials, without asking me!

...on a public computer. This is inadmissible.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Indication of current server / database in source control pane would be useful

When you select a database in the object explorer tree, then click on the link to existing repository in the red gate source control pane, the highlighted database isn't very obviously highlighted (dependin on your colour scheme) because the object explorer no longer has focus.

In addition, with multiple databases, it may not be obvious which server the selected database is on.

With the link to subversion repository dialog open, it is difficult to check which database is selected - a problem if you have to link a number of databases on a number of servers, and have lost track…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. when unlinking a database, ask about files in source control

ask question - when unlinking a database - about removing files from source-control repository yes/no

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Cache SVN and DB Status

We've got around 2000 objects (tables, views, SPs, etc) and retrieving the entire list (from SVN and the DB) seems to take forever (and actually takes around 30 seconds). Too long. Cache, and refresh on demand, or prior to commit / get latest (i.e. when it matters if the objects are the latest).

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support for SCCI standard

Numerous source control products support the SCCI interface standard. We use 3 products between numerous clients. TFS, VSS, and Seapine SCM. Another possibility is PureSCM.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. match SMO output

I've written my own tool to do this --- a heavy edit of http://www.codeplex.com/scriptio actually --- and this new product differs in at least three respects: the white space (indenting tabs, blank lines), the directory structure (example: "Functions" and "Stored Procedures" should be under "Programmability"), and extra command (example: CREATE USER has CREATE LOGIN and GRANT CONNECT around it). Why not match the SMO output exactly?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Work with multiple databases at a time

Why not offer a "SQL Source Control" entry in the right-click menu for the instance itself, so that I can look through/update/commit changes to/from several databases at once? Why do I have to specify a separate link for each database I'm interested in? Starting at the instance level would allow me to not only find *all* changes, it would also permit tracking objects within the instance but outside any database, such as "Security/Logins", "Security/Server Roles", "SQL Server Agent/Jobs", "Server Objects/Endpoints", and "Server Objects/Linked Servers".

203 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support source control integration with SSMS Solutions/Projects

We have SSMS solutions that contain only our stored procedures, functions, and views. We have these solutions in Subversion repositories and are currently using TortoiseSVN to manage changes. It would be great if this tool (or a similar one) would support Subversion integration with SSMS much like the existing support for Visual Source Safe.

It could be much like VisualSVN but for Management Studio instead of Visual Studio.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 25 26 27 29 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base