Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

63 results found

1. When object names appear in the candidate window for an autocomplete, the schemas are not shown by default. Clicking on the the arrow in the bottom left of the window will show them, but this setting is not remembered so you have to do it each time. Also there's no keyboard shortcut that I can find to do this. Add the ability to set this popup to show the schema names by default.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. In SSMS when accessing a table that is not in the current database (using the three part convention) then no intellisense is coming up for the fields (such as in the where clause)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Thomas Walsh responded

SQL Prompt now supports suggestions from other databases when using the three part convention.

Kind Regards,

The Prompt Team

3. When disabling SQL prompt (or when a trial ends) the default SSMS intellisense is not getting back to work.
    This is especially important since there are a lot areas that the native SSMS intellisense is much better than SQL prompt (I will try to post all of them), so one might try to take advantage of it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. We use a separate schema (z_audit) to capture data changes from dbo tables as a complete audit trail. The tables in each schema are named the same. Every time I come to the suggestions list, I either take it as read that the top table listed is in the dbo schema, or must click that little arrow at bottom-left to "show schema", involving having to grab the mouse just to expose the schema when we're supposed to be efficiently keying; no mousing involved unless we need to use a different suggestions tab...

An option that toggles this to OUR preference…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. If you go
    SELECT * FROM sys.tables AS t
    or
    SELECT * FROM sys.tables AS [t]

then intellisense will happily carry on working correcly, with t. now showing object members.

However

SELECT * FROM sys.tables AS "t"
    and
    SELECT * FROM sys.tables AS 't'

both cause the intellisense to give up for the rest of the batch. All four identifier markups are valid (for now) and should be treated equally...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Or maybe an option to disable parsing of statements using CTEs. My keyboard takes seconds to respond when several CTEs are in the script.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Aaron Law responded

We’ve just released SQL Prompt 6.1 which shouldn’t slow down typing when CTEs are used

7. Please add support for SQL CMD mode. When SSMS is in SQL CMD mode, SQL Prompt pretty much becomes disabled when :setvar is used to define an object (e.g. table) name. Thus, in the code:

:setvar mytable "dbo.mytable"
    select * from $(mytable)

SQL Prompt is of no use. SQL Prompt should be able to resolve $(mytable) to the base object.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The intellisense box often obscures data in the grid results payne which requires that I hit esc to close suggestions and then retype or ctrl-space to bring it back up.

Possible solutions:

1) The main reason is that the box is usually much larger than it needs to be. If it would auto size as needed it would take up much less room.

2) an optional transparency setting would be much appreciated. Initially draw the box opaque but when the user stops typing, start fading it out a bit slowly because the user may want to see content below. The…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Extend the column toolstips with the nullable attribute, like this "ic.Attachment varchar(max) not null (Column)"

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I just needed to re attach a database from a single mdf file. Something I do every 6 months or so and every time I have to google the command and its syntax. Would be helpful so SQL Prompt recognised and helped with these and other inbuilt procedures and their parameters, for example:

spattachsinglefiledb

sp_helptext

spattachdb

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In 6.4 we always provide intellisense for system stored procedures if the query is being run against master.

If you’re running against a normal db then we hide the system stored procedures by default as they clutter the suggestions list. There’s a couple ways to get around this, either by qualifying with “sys.” or using the “List system objects” option. A video on this can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DOTmHkKo8

11. There is currently no support for the 'inserted' and 'deleted' tables within triggers. They should be treated as equivalent to the original table that the trigger is attached to.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. It would be nice if SQL Prompt could parse CTE expressions and provide prompts just like for regular tables

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Could we have a check box to allow us to have the semi colon as one of the insertion keys (Main->Behaviour)?

It's not as common as the other keys there but when I'm about to finish a script I can't just hit the semi colon key.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When writing a query that joins to several tables, the Join Clause only seems to look at the previos table to determine what columns can be used to join on. For example, when typing out the following query:
    SELECT * FROM [dbo].[employee] AS E
    INNER JOIN [dbo].[Department] AS D
    ON [E].[DepartmentID] = [D].[DepartmentID]
    INNER JOIN [dbo].[Position] AS P
    ON ...

When I look at the options for the ON clause for the join to Position, it doesn't include any columns being joined back to the Employee table. It would be nice if the suggestions would include at least any foreign…

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve released SQL Prompt 6 which includes all tables in a join clause.

15. When I write a join statement I put the last table that I am joining to the other tables on the left side of a join clause. For example:
    SELECT *
    FROM tblOrder o
    INNER JOIN tblIOrder_Detail d
    ON d.OrderID = o.OrderID
    The auto-generated join clause would be "ON o.OrderID = d.OrderID". It would be nice if it was possible to customize this behaviour to choose which side there will be each table/alias on.

Thanks

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve released SQL Prompt 6 which includes an option to swap the order of columns in join clauses.

16. after typing select and adding table name the popup box that shows the table summary (column names and their types); if these rows(column names) be clickable, select columns could be filled from that list instead of typing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The object text exists as normal for CLR functions (or at least enough for provide auto suggest on object name and number of params and types), therefore please can function which are backed by CLR be available in the suggestion list

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. In Visual Studio 2010, when I type in a function name and then the open paranthesis, I'm shown some intellisense that tells me what type of parameters I need to type in. For example, if I type (using VB.Net) "Dim da as Date=DateAdd(", it tells me the first paramter is "Interval as Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interval", and so forth. It would be nice if SQL Prompt did this for built-in (or even user created) functions, e.g. the DATEADD SQL function. I can never remember exactly the parameter sequence of that function, and it would be nice if SQL Prompt showed me like VS…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Paul Stephenson responded

SQL Prompt already did this, but there was a bug with certain built-in functions, including DATEADD(), that prevented the tooltip from appearing. This is now fixed in SQL Prompt 5.2.

19. I have some longer Stored Procs and other T-SQL code and it appears that after some number of lines between the declaration of a variable, table, etc., and its subsequent usage, SQL Prompt no longer suggests the object.

I would have sworn there was an option that I could configure to say how many lines of code to look-back for declared objects.

Can we get that back?

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. It would be nice, if the suggestions list for GROUP BY would include all the all the not aggregated SELECT list columns first.
    For ORDER BY, all the columns/aliases or their ordinal, and add checkbox for ASC/DESC.

72 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?