Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

62 results found

1. If you create a table with a BIT column not nullable with a default value, and then you type insert, the autocomplete gives you null for the bit column. Example below. (I haven't looked at what happens with other data types/defaults.)

CREATE TABLE dbo.MyTable
    (
    Flag BIT NOT NULL CONSTRAINT DFMyTableFlag DEFAULT (0)
    )
    GO

INSERT INTO dbo.MyTable
    (
    Flag
    )
    VALUES
    (NULL -- Flag - bit
    )

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Hi, new feature with transparency on Ctrl in SQL Prompt 9.4.10 is extremely annoying, I'm using only Ctrl+Space to show intellisense. Please provide us option to disable this feature, or change key to Alt or Ctrl+something, this is really horrible, please fix it asap. I've to uninstall tool for now.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Many thanks for your useful feedback on this issue.

We’ve done some further work on this feature that should hopefully address your issues. This has just been released in SQL Prompt v9.4.11 (available from https://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/).

The popups will now only go transparent after holding the Ctrl key for a short period instead of immediately. This should mitigate the issue somewhat. In addition, there is a new option (in Suggestions → Behavior → Make popups transparent when the Ctrl key is held down) to turn the feature off if it is not wanted.

Kind regards,

The Prompt Team

3. The options to "Only load suggestions for certain databases" and "Don;t load suggestions for certain databases" are nice, but it'd be really useful to also be able to include or exclude on a per schema basis.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. please add support for sql 2014 ctp2, i'm already using it and im sure others are as well and quite frankly i've grown very accustomed to using sql prompt that it became quite hard to work without it.

i hope you can add the support really soon

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Code Analysis released in 9.0 is awesome! But I turn off a lot of the rules for day-to-day work. I know not to release production code with "select *" in it... But not all the devs do... so I have to click these rules back on to get Code Analysis to help me when I'm doing review.

Could we have profiles for CA like in Format SQL? Better still, could we have the config of these profiles in flat files? I could version & share different profiles with devs - allowing them to check rules I'm going to check anyway…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

We added this feature recently (in SQL Prompt 9.1.0.4138).

Now it is possible to save your settings file in a shared folder for the team to use or switch between different settings files. This is accessible via the Prompt menu : SQL Prompt > Manage Code Analysis Rules….

Let me know if you find it helpful.

Kind regards,
    Alicja

6. SQL Prompt v9.0.2.3223 use of Code Analysis has stopped the tooltip for showing structural details.

ie: statement like SELECT a,b,c FROM dbo.TableRequiringLock WITH (ROWLOCK, XLOCK) WHERE ID = @key

will just show TABLE HINT used when hovering over table name as opposed to showing the structure.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  FabiolaB responded

Hi,

I am pleased to inform you that your request has been taken into account. Please update to the latest version in order to use it!

Regards,
    Fabiola

7. Hi!

It would be nice to have an IntelliSense for the DBCC SHOW_STATISTICS command.

When typing

DBCC SHOWSTATISTICS('HashAggregation','WASys00000001_2A8B4280')

it would be helpfull to get the option of "WITH DENSITY_VECTOR" for example.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Andrei Rusitoru responded

This feature was released in version 7.3 of SQL Prompt.

If there are any missing features please let us know by creating a new suggestion.

Kind Regards,
    The Prompt Team

8. I have never clicked on a suggestion that results in opening the Microsoft Help window on purpose.

As an example, if I have a long "IsNull" that takes up multiple lines, a tip box will pop up blocking portions of the query, and no matter where I click, this will pop up and block different portions. Often I will accidentally click the box as I need the cursor to be where the box is, and it will cause the dev environment to become unresponsive while the "Help" window loads.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Aaron Law responded

Hi Danny,

It’s already possible to disable these tooltips in SQL Prompt. If you open up the SQL Prompt options, on the first page it’s under “Show tooltips for: Parameters”.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

9. The intellisense box often obscures data in the grid results payne which requires that I hit esc to close suggestions and then retype or ctrl-space to bring it back up.

Possible solutions:

1) The main reason is that the box is usually much larger than it needs to be. If it would auto size as needed it would take up much less room.

2) an optional transparency setting would be much appreciated. Initially draw the box opaque but when the user stops typing, start fading it out a bit slowly because the user may want to see content below. The…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. ALTER DATABASE <DB Name>
    MODIFY FILE (NAME = '', NEWNAME = '')

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Lee,

Thanks for letting us know about this. NEWNAME is now suggested in SQL Prompt 7.2 which you can download from our website or through Check for Updates in the SQL Prompt menu.

11. I would like to suggest a ranking feature when the suggestions list appears. At my place of work, if I want to select out of the customer table I will often type 'cu' then tab the rest. However this is the snippet for creating a user. This is also useful when many tables begin with the same prefix, but one is used far more often than others. With ranking, the more an object is used, the higher up the list it will appear, like browser history entries in Firefox for instance. This would reduce the number of keystrokes necessary and…

70 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Currently if you type a query like this:

select *
    from sys.objects o
    order by o.name d[CURSOR]

the popup consists of dbcc, deallocate, declare, delete, deny, desc, disable trigger, drop, dump.

While that is probably technically accurate, it would be much more helpful to make "desc" the first entry in the list, because it's what I'm typing 100% of the time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. SQL XML is a great tool that gets very little support. When I am on an XML type variable...the intellisense isn't great....AT ALL. Doing something like:

declare @xml XML;
    set @xml = '<Tests><Test><Id>1</Id></Test></Tests>';

select @xml.value --This doesn't have intellisense. It will try to capitalize .value to .VALUE which isn't correct.

So better SQL XML support would be nice.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Mario,

In your example “value” will be suggested and left as lowercase in the latest version of Prompt 6. If you’re still having problems even on the latest version please contact support as you may have hit a bug.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

14. When using SQL CMD variables in VisualStudio/SSDT project to support Database references using a Database variable(ex Different database, same server). SQL Prompt is no longer able to resolve objects.

SELECT a.* FROM [$(RefDataBase)].[dbo].[MyTable] a
    Then a becomes an "unresolved alias"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I added the 'dot' option to insertion keys and now I am unable to type dots in an IP address for a linked server without it autocompleting some random address, which I then have to go back and correct.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Due to the length of some of the queries I write, I have to edit the file RedGateSqlPromptEngine_EngineOptions.xml manually. It would be nice to be able to edit the values for ParserLookBackDistance and ParserLookAheadDistance in the Options menu. I understand the drawbacks of making these values too large. If they were in the Options menu I could adjust them for a long query and then set them back for shorter queries.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The suggestions list after the TRIGGER is full of triggers. SQL Prompt, having been given the schema and table should narrow that list to only those present on the table to be ALTERed.

I would categorize this as a bug, rather than a suggestion...

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Intellisense should find snippets where characters appear anywhere in the snippet name, not just at the beginning. I have 2 or 3 dozen snippets and I can't always remember what the less frequently used snippets are called. For example I might several snippets that deal with space usage, but some are named like this: "getSpaceUsage". It would be useful if typing "space" found all snippets that contained space anywhere in the name not just at the beginning.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I used to have a couple hundred milliseconds of delay in here. This was really helpful in some circumstances to allow me to do down a line of text adding tabs, spaces, commas, etc. (all kinds of things to satisfy my obsessive need for proper formatting). Without this option I now have to hit [ESC] each time to clear the suggestion box no matter how quick I move down, making this an annoyance.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. After upgrading to SQL Prompt 6 (6.1), I notice reduced performance and I occasionally get "SQL Prompt cannot retrieve objects from <some database name>. (etc)", which reference a database that I do not use or am ever likely to use and IIRC have never used. It seems SQL Prompt is trying to cache objects for all databases on the connected server. That would be overkill, and only serves to slow it down and cause errors such as the one mentioned.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This was likely due to the synonym support added in 6 which will try to offer suggestions by loading databases that the synonyms are referencing. In the latest build of Prompt this is optional (under Suggestions→Connections) and off by default.

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?