Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

11 results found

1. As a developer I want to turn a select query into an editable table view so that I can tweak some column values without having to write an update statement.

Currently I have to write the select query, browse for the table in object explorer and select edit top x rows, open sql pane, paste the query there, press Ctrl+R to update the view, then make the manual edits. Would be great to be able to do that with some kind of macro action from a select query.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The team have reviewed this suggestion and unfortunately it’s a combination of being something of an edge case for our user base and very difficult to implement.

So, for now we’ll be declining the request. We’ll review again if we see more demand from our customers.

Thank you for the suggestion though – we’re always keen to hear from customers. Do reach out if I can do anything else to help.

2. allow selecting a setting to use CTRL+PgUp and CTRL+PgDn to cycle through tabs in SSMS as in many other applications

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I would like to be able to compare two text blocks to see the differences, probably in two different windows. Its easy in most text editors. Wish I could do it right inside SSMS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Courtney,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the team have reviewed it and we don’t currently feel like it is a good fit for something we would want to prioritise in Prompt.

Please don’t let that put you off suggesting other ideas – all feedback is great even if we don’t action all of it!

Tim

4. When SQL Prompt loads the database objects, the resolution on my Dell M3800 gets screwed up. I can restore it by checking for updates.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Ali responded

Hi

Thanks for your suggestion. This sounds more like a bug than a feature, although we’re not currently aware of it. Please could you raise a support ticket with screenshots and recreation steps at: https://redgatesupport.zendesk.com

Thanks

5. 1º Disable/enable duplicate parentheses correction ))* option
    example : Select ISNULL(dbo.InitCap()
    in * position to tipi parentheses ')' SQL Prompt eating this
    res: Select ISNULL(dbo.InitCap()

2º right-click > Format SQL > [Sub Menu] Style
    , for quick access to alternative formatting setting
    3º I Still Waiting For Numeric Data type LENHT in definition box, tooltips and suggestions box
    and 4º most importantly is highlight similar words

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Aaron Law responded

Hi David,

I’m going to close this idea as its really 4 ideas which means it’s difficult for us to know which one to work on if other users start voting on it. We also already have individual ideas for each of these so closing this one will give you the points back and allow you to add them to those.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

6. It would be nice to compare 2 objects (tables / stored proc ets), by right clicking on them and select to compare (lig scema compare).

I am using to to clean up an old DB with a lot of copyed code and tables.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Thomas Walsh responded

Thank you for your suggestion.

Ideally, we’d love to respond individually to every request, but currently we can’t due to the volume of unanswered tickets. We’re clearing up our UserVoice backlog to make it easier for us as a small team to prioritize the most valuable features moving forward. Therefore, due to a lack of recent interest in this ticket, we have decided to close it.

If you feel strongly about it, we encourage you to create a new request.

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

7. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ideally, we’d love to respond individually to every request, but currently we can’t due to the volume of unanswered tickets. We’re clearing up our UserVoice backlog to make it easier for us as a small team to prioritize the most valuable features moving forward. Therefore, due to a lack of recent interest in this ticket, we have decided to close it.

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

8. In Object Explorer you can filter tables. It would be nice if these filters could be persistent. That is that they would remain when you restart SSMS (Actually MS should fix this)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

9. Add a fixed place in the query window, e.g. at the right or bottom of it, where to show the suggestion box and/or object defintions window. Thus that the SSMS intellisense tool window is not overlayed by it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

10. So many times during the day, I find myself in executing SELECT DISTINCT on a column, just to find all the unique values in the database. It would be a great shortcut if I could just right click on a column and the SQL statement would be automatically generated.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

11. At the moment, only 4 options are available in the [Options] -> [Tabs & Wrapping] -> [Characters per line] option. The value can also be changed manually by direct editing of the xml options file but it would be much smarter if you use an editable dropdown box here (so user could pick one of the four values OR key in his/her own value).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?