Skip to content

SQL Compare

Welcome to the SQL Compare feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Compare at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Compare, please visit the forums at https://forums.red-gate.com/viewforum.php?f=200 or our support portal.

SQL Compare

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

69 results found

1. xml, html and excel reports for database differences (using options) include everything similarities as well as differences. Since, xml is excellent way to import data to SQL, it would be great if those reports included only differences (so that the file size is smaller). Right now the differences can only be output to text file if I am not mistaken.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Michelle Taylor responded

When you generate a report, there is a check box just above the last line in the dialog ‘Also include identical objects’ – if you uncheck this, then only differences will be output in your report.

2. I would be ideal if there was the ability to compare just a single Schema in databases. Example, exclude all dbo object and just include all objects in the XX schema. This would speed up the compare, as we would only be comparing objects in the XX schema and ignoring the 10K objects in the dbo schema.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When I want to rename a column I save a script with the ALTER clause.
    The functionality that automatically maps columns can be really annoying and can cause incorrect renames in production databases. I would really like to be able to disable this functionality. I also think that it shouldn't be turned on by default.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. The main window always opens taller than my screen. I then have to close the modal project window to re-position the main window. The program should remember where the main program window was if not maximized when closing so it opens in same position next time.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. This should be a no-brainer, but nobody from Redgate is responding to the numerous topics and posts in the forum.

Everyone is getting the error "Unable to cast object of type "System.Byte[]" to type System.String"

Thank you from everyone who uses MySQL Compare

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. There is no option to choose to open with ssms2012 in the dialog that is shown for deployment, i can choose ssms2008 but not 2012. Is this available somewhere?

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I have a server that I have to change the password on a lot, and can never (rarely) remember if I have changed the compare tool for the new password. I guess I could switch the servers around so that was the first it tries to get objects from. BUT it would be a nice feature to have it fail before doing any actual work.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

In SQL Compare 12 we have changed the comparison workflow so that we register both databases in parallel. This will allow the comparison to show you errors connecting to your target database before all the objects in the source have been registered.

8. Along the lines of this post: http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare-feature-suggestions/suggestions/2893526-the-integration-into-ssms-is-far-worse-then-previo
    Before we could right click and choose a database to be the source or the target of the comparison. Now I find myself having to choose the target as the source then press switch and then choose another source using the "compre to" option - it's quite a step backward from the previous integration.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. older version side by side comparison report better than the new version vertical comparison.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. In the excellent file comparison tool Beyond Compare from Scooter Software, there is a full width line comparison view across the bottom of both comparison panes. This is extremely useful when comparing long lines of text and saves scrolling left and right all the time.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Anonymous responded

SQL Compare does have this functionality: If you click on the Show dropdown (just above the differences pane), and select Line Differences. Is this the behaviour you were looking for?

12. When using compare to create out db rollout packages, we also create the rollback by changing the deployment direction. There is a bug where I could have items selected. Then I change the direction and no items are selected. Also had at one point where I selected a table did both directions. Unchecked the table then selected 2 sprocs. Changed the direction and it unchecked the 2 sprocs and reselected the table. This causes much headache and time to our process. Potentially we could miss items for our rollback solution and not know it until a time or rollback. Also…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Sam Blackburn responded

We think we’ve fixed this in the latest Frequent Update version, 12.0.32.3340. Does this version work for you?

13. In previous versions of sql compare you were able to use the underscore character as part of your filters (exclude if object name begins with _)

This no longer works and as underscores are fairly common when creating sample objects (at least in my company this makes it impossible for us to use.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This problem has been fixed in version 11.2 (currently only available via frequent updates). We have added new ‘Like’ and ‘Not like’ filter match operators which honour all SQL LIKE wildcards, and changed the previous ‘Begins with’, ‘Ends with’, and ‘Contains’ to stop treating them as wildcards.

You may need to edit existing filters to take advantage of the new behaviour.

14. Currently, SQL Compare seems to map columns are they are listed in the table which results in incorrect mapping when new columns are added in between of existing columns.
    SQL Compare should attempt to map using the column name first.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Support the POISONMESSAGEHANDLING argument for service broker queues.

/****** Object: ServiceQueue [dbo].[ApplicationLogSendingQueue] Script Date: 03/15/2012 11:34:56 ******/
    CREATE QUEUE [dbo].[ApplicationLogSendingQueue]
    WITH
    STATUS = ON ,
    RETENTION = OFF ,
    POISONMESSAGEHANDLING (STATUS = OFF) ON [PRIMARY]
    GO

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Don't offer upgrades that remove your license. I have a licensed version of the product, it asked me to upgrade and now it's asking me to enter my serial number. I didn't realize that the upgrade would take away my licence. I want my original licence back, these kind of ninja money grabs are just plain awful.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I sent two crash reports today. (Unhappily the first time I ran version 12.) It did not describe or let me see what was being sent. I don't really feel comfortable with that. I'd like to know what is being sent before I send any more reports.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Sam Blackburn responded

As of SQL Compare and Data Compare 12.2.4, the exception report dialog has a “view report data” button which will allow you to view the exact data which would be submitted to Redgate.

We primarily added this feature to ensure users could assess any possible impact on their privacy, although the feature could also be used to dig through the data and recover the table name our support engineers found.

At time of writing, 12.2.4 is on our frequent updates channel, and we expect to release the feature to default channel soon.

18. I'm documenting my databases using extended properties on the database level, and I've tried various options, but I can't find how to compare the database extended properties. We have dev, test, and production environments, so I need to sync these properties between the environments so they don't get lost when restoring dbs between them.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Here's an entire deployment script. Can you spot the bug?

SET NUMERICROUNDABORT OFF
    GO
    SET ANSI
    PADDING, ANSIWARNINGS, CONCATNULLYIELDSNULL, ARITHABORT, QUOTEDIDENTIFIER, ANSINULLS ON
    GO
    USE [MVSDB]
    GO
    PRINT N'Altering [dbo].[Shift]'
    GO
    IF (COL
    LENGTH(N'[dbo].[Shift]', N'ShiftDefinitionId') IS NOT NULL) AND (COLLENGTH(N'[dbo].[Shift]', N'ShiftConfigurationId') IS NULL)
    EXEC sp
    rename N'[dbo].[Shift].[ShiftConfigurationId]', N'ShiftDefinitionId', 'COLUMN'
    GO
    PRINT N'Adding foreign keys to [dbo].[Shift]'
    GO
    IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM sys.foreignkeys WHERE objectid = OBJECTID(N'[dbo].[FKShiftShiftDefinition]', 'F') AND parentobjectid = OBJECTID(N'[dbo].[Shift]', 'U'))
    ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Shift] ADD CONSTRAINT [FKShiftShiftDefinition] FOREIGN…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. This step is often skipped when I click on Next from Step 1. The Deployment Wizard will skip straight to '4 - Review Deployment Script'. This behavior is inconsistent: sometimes '3 - Review Dependencies' IS enforced even though it is skipped and other times it is not. In our situation, the rule is to NOT enforce dependency changes.

This has bitten me several times in the past, so I now always click on Back when on Step 4 to see if Step 3 was enforced or not. Of three deployments today requiring SQL Commpare, two of them exhibited this behavior.…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Michelle Taylor responded

We’ve seen this behaviour occasionally and believe we have fixed the problem in 10.7 – could you try upgrading, and email support@red-gate.com if you are still experiencing this problem?

• Don't see your idea?