Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. I have a stored procedure sprunfacttoreport. I renamed it to sprunfacttorpt and now it is no longer in version control and changes are not propagated.

I don't mind if rename is handled by delete and add rather than svn move, but I would like every object I create to be in version control! :)

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Failed to update:

oEc.#8Jf: An item with the same key has already been added. ---> System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 619, offset:110 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4199, offset:21 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4198, offset:578 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4148, offset:1363 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4148, offset:1098 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 4145, offset:8 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 67, offset:77 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 71, offset:40 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 3984, offset:137 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 3958, offset:472 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 602, offset:614 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException: SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException @ 1792, offset:37 ---> SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledException:

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I have just tried to link a pre-existing data database to Source Control and have come across an interesting error. Having written all the information to the source control repository it appears that the application then attempts to retrieve information back to ensure that it has the most up to date information. At this point it throws an error and points the blame at a line in my usp that is referencing a table that is called audit.Load. Is ".Load" causing the error as the software attempts to parse the file?

(I can send you the actual error text if…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. It would be helpful if the commits could be asynchronous so I can continue working on something else while it's running. I figure you've run your changelist and have the diff or data you want to post so having me sit around for a slow Inet connection to finish transmitting data when I could be running a backup or editing a stored procedure would help productivity a lot.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When linking a database for the first time, it would be nice if the path selector also had the ability to create a new folder based on the selected database name, so that I don't have to go into my source control system to create the folders.

It would really saves us a few steps if you can automatically create the folders required when linking a new DB to source control. E.g. Tortoise does it just fine in VS. For example, if I specify a path /existingfolder/newfolder when linking a DB, I expect you to create the /newfolder directory in…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 149 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I got an error when there was a stored procedure that the table had an alias as GO and it didn't let me commit any changes or get latest

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Specifically, I need support for the keyword "datacompression" before I can use this tool successfully. See SQL Compare bug ID SC-4501 for more information. Note: SQL Prompt Format also fails to parse the datacompression keyword syntax.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I know that svn and TFS support are important but I really hope you add Git support. Git is really taking off and I think we will be switching over at some point so Git support is key for us.

98 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Can you let us know, in the general ballpark, what a normal user license will cost?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control is included in both the SQL Toolbelt and SQL Developer Bundle.

SQL Source Control is also available to purchase separately.

There are multi-user discounts available.

SQL Source Control will be licensed per user.

Please see our website for more information:
    SQL Toolbelt – http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_professional_toolbelt
    SQL Developer Bundle – http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_bundles/sql_developer_bundle.htm
    SQL Source Control – http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_source_control

If you have any questions about your current licenses or would like a quote on the bundles mentioned above, please see our website or contact Sales@red-gate.com.

11. The link text on the setup tab should be selectable. It would be an easy change, and when you're creating a new database from the source you don't have to look up the URL somewhere else if you want to "clone" a database.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Upon opening SSMS, SQL Source Control always starts up as a tabbed document. I always (re-)dock it, but it doesn't remember that preference.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I would like for SQL Source Control to also be supported in Visual Studio so my application developer co-workers who prefer this environment can also use database source control without having to switch to SSMS.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I want to be able to diff/compare my db object to the previous version so I can see exactly what I changed. This would allow me to view differences between my current version and the previous version. I also want to be able to select which version I diff/compare the object to so I could see changes between any 2 versions.

109 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  James Billings responded

SQL Source Control will now let you compare two revisions in the History dialog through SQL Compare

15. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. it be very usful to add comments when commiting changes - so we can see why a certain changes were made

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is a 1 line comment box at the top of the “Commit Changes” tab for your comment. If you have a SVN Hook set up to require comments, then your commit will fail unless a comment is entered.

17. It would be a lot easier if I could just browse to a repository (like windows explorer) instead of having to manually enter it.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. So, this is bad development, but someone put a proc named dbo.USPEmp#. I get all sorts of errors now because of the # sign in the when getting latest updates or trying to delete and commit.

Failed to update:

oEc.#8Jf: Errors occured whilst parsing file C:\Users\adamr\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 0\WorkingBases\b3ae1b30-6f18-4d35-a002-1daa9b3501b5\Stored Procedures\dbo.uspEmp#.sql

'line 5:34: unexpected token: ["#",<735>,line=5,col=34] [char=85]'
    ---> #Eyg.#Lyg: Errors occured whilst parsing file C:\Users\adamr\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 0\WorkingBases\b3ae1b30-6f18-4d35-a002-1daa9b3501b5\Stored Procedures\dbo.uspEmp#.sql
    'line 5:34: unexpected token: ["#",<735>,line=5,col=34] [char=85]'
    ---> line 5:34: unexpected token: ["#",<735>,line=5,col=34] [char=85]
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at #oEc.#7Jf.#t.#B3.#sKf()
    at #oEc.#7Jf.#gKf(Action action)
    --- End of inner…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. It would be beneficial to see the sql script that "get Latest" finally executes (with the option to execute having screen the scirpt) . I have found this very useful in other db sync tools especially if the script fails.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You could use SQL Compare Pro and the SSMS Integration Pack to see the script.

If the script fails, then you will have the option to view the script in a query window and you can edit it as needed.

20. During the script compare, it would be nice to be able to ignore collation, PK names, FK names, etc...

I have the same table on two servers, PK for the table is call PKOrderDetails76E0ADF on the other its called PKOrderDetailsAC45C0F.

Given that its a rather hefty clustered index, I don't particularly want to recreate it just to have the name in sync.

57 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 has been released and allows you to configure comparison options – including ‘Ignore Collation’ and ‘Ignore constraint and index names’. To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository’s Working Base folder. The following article describes how to do this: http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/GeneralContent/knowledgebase/SQL_Source_Control/KB201202000521

Our plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow users to configure the comparison options that are changed most often, but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

If you’d like to see an options dialog exposing these settings in SQL Source Control, please vote on the following idea – https://redgate.uservoice.com/admin/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/2615460-add-an-options-dialog-to-allow-configuration-of-co – and let us know which options you’d like to see exposed in the dialog.

• Don't see your idea?