Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. When rebuilding a table via migration scripts, the ALTER AUTHORIZATION TO... commands are omitted on the replacement table when the migration script is created by SSC.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Everytime I try to Get Latest I get the following....

System.Exception: Failed to update to the head revision after 10 attempts ---> System.Exception: Failed to update to the head revision after 10 attempts
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.LinkedDatabase.GetDatabaseFolderWorkspaces(ICancellableOperationStatus status, IScriptFolderStructure scriptFolderStructure, IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks callBacks, SourceControlRevision& revision)
    at #GWeb.#WXM.#Fieb()
    at #GWeb.#Wheb.#tieb(Func1 )
    at #GWeb.#WXM.#8ZW(Boolean )
    at #GWeb.#XXM.#yRW()
    at #GWeb.#WXM.#qYM()
    at #GWeb.#XXM.#iS()
    at #qlhb.#0heb.#l36(String , #1heb , ICancellableOperationStatus )
    at #qlhb.#K3c.#83c(String , #O9U , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks )
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Diff.Memoization.ReattachableMemoizer.#A3.#eL5b(ICancellableOperationStatus )
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Diff.Memoization.ReattachableMemoizer.#YZBc.#jzb.#Qnw()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Diff.Memoization.ReattachableMemoizer.#YZBc.#VAb.#xSXc()
    at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Diff.Memoization.ReattachableMemoizer.#uz2b(String , IDatabaseConnection , #1heb , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks , Action

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. After you click the "Get Latest" button, while the "Determining schema changes" step is processing, there is a dialog that will sometimes pop up that says "Get latest from source control - dependencies". The "affected objects" list does not include the schema name for these objects. For databases that make heavy use of schema names, the schema name is critical to display here.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When I update to a node in a branch that is not the head of the branch, for instance to rollback my database to a previous tag. The moment I hit the get latest tab in SQL Source Control, it automatically updates to the head of my branch, making it impossible to revert to a previous version.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Clone db from server a tomserver b without genarating a bk file
    Direct bk restor without generating file
    This alow to save time and space

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Linked data settings should be remembered when a table is renamed

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When I try to create a migration script on a (not yet checked in) object, and that object has a dependency on another object, then SQL Source Control requires that I add the dependent objects to the migration script and the subsequent checkin. SQL Source control is correct that there's a SQL-level dependency between the two objects, but as a developer, I can tell that it's safe to check in one without the other.

As a workaround, if I checkin the change first without the migration script, SQL Source Control suggests that I also checkin the dependent objects, but doesn't …

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. A while ago I had discussed with Redgate about how to allow sql source control to create scripts for releases to deploy db changes.
    This mostly works, except when there are changes that require more logic to properly handle existing data when certain db object changes are made.

For instance, adding a new column to a table (that has data in it) that is required, but does not have a default.

The current way of handling this is to create a custom script for that change at the time of check in. The problem with this is that it requires…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The "toast" / desktop alert popups by the system tray always seem to show on my primary monitor (where my start menu is). However I often have the app running on my secondary monitor and it would make more sense if the popups displayed on the same monitor as the window where the action triggered the popup

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. If I make a change to a proc in management studio editor, then execute the alter. That change is not reflected in object explorer until i do a refresh of object explorer. After the commit SQL source control still show a change and this can result in your change reverting if you press commit again. Therefore sql source control should do a refresh of the committed object in object explorer after every commit.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. SQL user without login is not correctly detected by SQL Source Control
    The Warning displayed is confusing

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. We moved our SVN repositories to a new server and the old server is already gone. I then moved ahead and tried to unlink my existing databases so I can link them to new server address (svn relocate would be another option)... Problem is that sql source control is now trying to connect to the old server and the unlink dialog is just sitting there for minutes, and I'm getting "Visual Studio is busy...." messages

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I was checking out a database that contained changes. (new machine, database restored from backup)

The initial checkout from SVN failed because of a network issue. However the UI did not report that failure and instead proceeded to compare my current database to the local broken working copy.

It seems that the code executing the checkout is wrapped in an exception eating try catch block.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. We recently migrated our svn repo to HTTPS and part of that process was for our devs to update their SQL Source Control datalinks.

We ran into 4 issues:
    1) When opening SSMS for the first time, we were inundated by SQL Source Control to update our credentials.
    2) After hitting cancel 10 times, we were able to get to the Setup tab. Where we thought we could just edit the existing link, but instead we had to Unlink the database first.
    3) After unlinking, all the options on the Setup tab disappeared requiring a restart of SSMS. I can…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When using development tools to modify a schema, you can end up having applied a number of changes which cannot be applied without data loss using schema differencing and which need to be included in a migration script.

It would be helpful if there was some form of SQL trace which could monitor schema changes actually applied, and be used to generate a composite migration script.

If I use Enterprise manager, or Red Gate to refactor the schema, it is up to me to remember to save the generated SQL and any other SQL I might write along the way…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Can you please provide a way to "Uncheck" the entire list of objects on the "Get Latest" tab. I have 100+ objects ( Team of 6 Devs ) to get latest and 3 or 4 objects have issues, so I have to manually uncheck each of the 100 checkboxes and then check just the ones I think are ok to check in

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It can and does happen.. you end up with objects that you know are in production but for whatever reason never got committed and put into a migration script. Or, you just aren't interested in ever putting a certain change live.. maybe they are dev only. Maybe they are irrelevant objects like users. Maybe a naughty dev put stuff live without going through the proper process.

In all the above cases I want to be able to remove the object from my "pending" list without reverting. I want to ignore them completely.

I am aware of the ability to filter…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow the ability to control the location of ALL files/data (permanent and temporary and logging, etc) associated with SSC. This should be asked during setup, but should also be user configurable after install.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I enable in the comparison option to show me any whitespace differences between my source and target.

This changes will be shown by SSC from now as a difference, but not visualized in the comparison window. At least it's showing me that there is difference.

It would be really nice if the differences could be visualized like SQL Compare is doing it.

Regards
    Robert

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here