Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. In the commit tab you can see the differences between source control and the database which makes it great for deciding what you want to commit or rollback. If you select items in this tab and them right click and undo changes your selections are lost and you have to re-select in the Undo Changes dialog which doesn't let you see the change.

As a developer I want to be able to see the change that I am about to undo.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. SQL Source Control doesn't recognise changes to objects when the only change that has been made is in comments. The change is marked in object explorer when initially made, but clicking refresh in the source control window then ignores the change and removes the indication that the object has changed. There doesn't appear to be any setting to remove this filtration. The only other option is to alter the object's functionality or definition, commit, then change the definition back and re-commit. This is inherently risky, and should be unnecessary.

We use comments as a key part of our system documentation,…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I have a bunch of Ruby services which talk to sql server. I'd love to be able to stand up and tear down databases for development using Microsoft's mssql-server-linux docker container while still managing my database via Redgate. This would require a linux-based CLI tool that could create the database from source.

To do this would require a linux-compatible container

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When using either SQL Compare or Data Compare, during deployment, can we have an option to supply and store a static name for the script file rather than having to overwrite script file name in each deployment. You could supply an option to automatically overwrite the file. For early development I want one script only, I don't need to maintain a history, especially if I'm going through the deployment testing phase.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. A truncation warning should only be given when a field is resized from large to smaller, where actual truncation could occur. Not from small to large where truncation would not occur.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow object types same as that of SQL server database objects. Example, I would like to include some functions under "Table-Valued functions" under the object type "Function". It would be good if there is a tree structure for each object type same as that of SQL server database structure.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. On commit, there is a button to select/unselect all dependent objects. It would be good to have select/unselect basically a check box to tick or untick the dependent object. This will allow me to select specific dependent object I wish to control not all.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When using filters in SQL Server it would be nice to see what objects are under source control (even if they are committed, maybe with a yellow dot). Currently only uncommitted objects under source control are indicated.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When linking a 2nd (and all subsequent) database to Git - the text entry for the folder is locked (cannot type into it)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. This option is available in version 3. I can see that it is not available in version 5.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. While comparing static data in SQL Compare, there might occur a "red herring" issue where SQL Source Control cannot see filtered table-data due to being read by a user unprivileged for Row-Level Security. Since SQL Source Control cannot see the table-data, it will then suggest to either

a) Fetch all table-data from the linked repository (causing all kinds of PK- and other constraint issues)
    or
    b) Commit the deletion of all table-data to the linked repository

We don't want to do either of these actions. Although bypassing Row-Level Security for an unprivileged user isn't possible, it is still possible for…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. We have found that Source Control object locking can cause severe lag and even instability in SSMS for distant servers. The additional lag affects the SSMS Object Explorer contextual dialogs (right-click). Often the dialog will timeout and fail to render or multiple tries. Although we are able to disable object locking via the RedGateSQLSourceControlEngine_EngineOptions.xml file it would be much nicer to have control from the GUI. This could be in the form of a global on/off switch, or could even add functionality to blacklist certain servers. Alternatively, you could build in some kind of functionality to detect servers…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. SQL Source Control and SQL Prompt may not know about an environment (i.e. a developer not having access to staging or production server) and there's not really a facility in either tool to store information about the version of any environment.

Thus, SQL Source Control has to ensure backward and forward compatibility when creating migration scripts - which then triggers Code Analysis Errors in SQL Prompt...! It is a mess to clean up, and frankly a waste of time.

I suggest a feature where I can define my environments in the Tab Coloring in SQL Prompt including a listing of…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When attempting to get latest changes and an error occurs, please be more detailed (e.g table, data, column, etc.) that caused the error that will allow user to correct the error. It is possible the user getting the latest change was the person responsible for the error, making it difficult to trouble shoot when your database is relatively large.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. From SQL Source Control 7.1.9, the "Migrations" feature has been removed. This is a significant loss. We're told to use SQL Change Automation instead. But that has additional cost - and is only available as the full SQL Toolbelt.
    It would make sense to include SQL Change Automation components, but without the continuous integration parts to replace this loss of functionality.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Would be good if there was a checkbox to ignore replicated objects. If in the context of the DB (without going to the [distribution] database) you can't tell which objects are replicated, then at least an option to exclude the transactional replication spMSins%/spMSupd%/spMSdel% procedures without having to explicitly add them to the filter.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. For the commit tempolate it would be nice if it loaded the the template configured for commits. See: https://git-scm.com/docs/git-commit#Documentation/git-commit.txt---templateltfilegt

(another user asked about it here: https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/86954/is-it-possible-to-support-git-template-feature, but it does not seem they requested it.)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Hello, I would like to suggest adding a feature to encrypt all stored procedures and functions in an SQL Database for one main purpose which is to protect the logic and code inside the database, and this is to protect the Copywrite of the developers' software. The encryption/decryption should be done using a password; as the decryption should be available for the development team only.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. User should be able to enter comments describing change for multiple object in one submit. This will save time for the user to check-in stuff. Attaching a picture for suggested interface.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?