Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

179 results found

1. SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 allows you to configure the same comparison options available in SQL Compare's Project Options dialog.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in you database repository's Working Base folder. The following Knowledge Base support article describes how to use this configuration file:
    http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC3/Setting+SQL+Compare+options+in+SQL+Source+Control

The plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow you to configure the comparison options that are changed most often, but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

I've added this idea to UserVoice to gauge the demand for a dialog…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Can we have control over how often the source control / database is polled for changes? I see the changes are reflected almost immediately but reallly i dont need it to run that often - Can you let me configure how often the change polling occurs.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I am working on a project that is an enhancement to an existing database that is controlled by an external party. I am referencing objects that I have no control over via foreign keys, presently I cannot commit the foreign keys to source control unless I also commit the dependent objects. I do not want to commit these as I do not control them.

Would it be possible to have some mechanism that permits me to commit my changes without the dependencies, something like an override checkbox for the default behavior that will also place messages in the notification box…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  James Billings responded

The latest frequent-update version of SQL Source Control (4.0.6.179) allows you to default the checkbox behaviour to off. To do this, you’ll need to edit your UI Options file (RedGate_SQLSourceControl_CommonUI_UIOptions.xml) which you’ll find in localappdata\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 4 and add a tag called IncludeDependenciesCheckbox, like this:

<IncludeDependenciesCheckbox>False</IncludeDependenciesCheckbox>

If the value is false, then the checkbox will be un-set by default.
  4. Specifically, I need support for the keyword "datacompression" before I can use this tool successfully. See SQL Compare bug ID SC-4501 for more information. Note: SQL Prompt Format also fails to parse the datacompression keyword syntax.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Please add support for the current version of svn (1.8)

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Redgate source control does not seem to recognize column Index's fill factor..

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control 3.0 is now available and includes a fix for this issue. Fill Factor should now be recognised by default.

For more information about v3, please visit:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/

Further Update: SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 includes a mechanism to allow comparison options to be configured. To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository’s Working Base folder. The following article describes how to configure this option: http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/GeneralContent/knowledgebase/SQL_Source_Control/KB201202000521

8. When linking a database for the first time, it would be nice if the path selector also had the ability to create a new folder based on the selected database name, so that I don't have to go into my source control system to create the folders.

It would really saves us a few steps if you can automatically create the folders required when linking a new DB to source control. E.g. Tortoise does it just fine in VS. For example, if I specify a path /existingfolder/newfolder when linking a DB, I expect you to create the /newfolder directory in…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. There is a bug with change tracking on both SQL Source Control and Schema Compare. When a script is generated to alter a table that has change tracking already enabled, the ENABLE CHANGE_TRACKING script is added to the script causing the whole script to fail because change tracking is already enabled. This bug has been there for a long time. This bug is making both products difficult to use. It has been reported multiple times but has not been fixed yet.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. For continuous integration purposes, I would like to commit schema changes with changes in my project (e.g. C#) so that any related changes to classes / unit tests are commited in the same revision.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In SQL Source Control v3.4, there is now an option to link your database to a working folder. On the commit tab, there is an option to “Save” the database changes to the working folder. This scripts the objects and static data to files. You can then use your own version control system’s tool to commit the changes alongside other changes that also exist in this area. The folder for the database needs to be separate from the other files, so it might be nice to have a top level project folder with a folder for the application and another folder for the database below. Therefore, to commit both application and database changes, you would commit from the higher project folder. You can also have more folders for documentation and other things that you want to source control.
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/

11. I started making changes to a db object, but I made a mistake and I want to start again. I should be able to revert or undo this pending change so that I'm back in the state I was before making these changes.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. You really should take a look at Tortoise. They've been doing this for a while and they really do a great job most of the time.

When I commit and it succeeds, I need the revision number that the commit generates for logging/tracking purposes. Your interface just skips over that, hiding all the information that SVN is likely returning (Tortoise will even show us what it's doing during the commit). For me, the more important thing is getting that revision. Otherwise, I have to go into a project (non-SQL) and do an update or grab the log...neither of which you…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. It would be a lot easier if I could just browse to a repository (like windows explorer) instead of having to manually enter it.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I know it doesn't really matter, but I like my columns to be in a consistent order. I would like any table DDL to cause the table to be regenerated if necessary in order to ensure that column ordering is maintained.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Simply output create and alter scripts to a specified folder and its subfolders (e.g. Tables, Views, Stored Procedures, etc.). This would allow any arbitrary source control tool to be used to work with the repository.

Obviously, the SSMS integration would not be as full-featured, and the user would be responsible for updating, adding, deleting, and committing via their tool of choice.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Gyorgy Pocsi responded

I’m happy to inform you that the new 2.0 EA now supports simple folder based operation. You can even specify command line operations for each source control operation.

Please give it a try and let us know your opinion!

To download the new EA please visit the following link:

https://www.surveymk.com/s/SqlSourceControl_EapSignup

You will need to download the VSS/Vault… version.

16. In the SQL Source Control GUI add a button or checkbox to allow pushing changes to the remote repository. This saves having to go to the command-line or another GUI to push our changes up to the remote repository.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

Good news! SQL Source Control 4.1 now lets you push your changes in Git.

After you commit changes (which you can now do inside the tool, rather than just saving and committing externally), you have the option to push to the remote repository. Similarly, when you get latest, you can pull changes.

We think we’ve got the major actions covered now and that if you’re doing anything more advanced, you’d probably prefer to do it in your regular external git client.

But please tell us in separate UserVoice requests if there are other actions you would like surfaced in SSMS via SQL Source Control!

17. It looks like each commit adds a CREATE script. To be really useful in a continuous integration environment, we'd need ALTER scripts. Ideally each commit would generate a CREATE for the complete object, and an ALTER from the previous revision.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SourceGear Vault 7.0 is out and now SQL Source Control no longer works. "Server edition is correct, but the version is wrong."

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. On the Get Latest and Commit Changes tabs, user selections do not persist. Every time the window refreshes (which is any time you leave and come back) you lose the selection. Seems odd to me that I would have to request such a feature, as it would seem like the natural way of doing things. If I have hunders of objects to get latest or check-in and i'm carefully selecting, i can easily lose my selection which causes lots of pain :)

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Anna Hall responded

SQL Source Control version 3.2.0.27 now has persistent user selections (still just on the Commit tab).

20. It would be helpful if the commits could be asynchronous so I can continue working on something else while it's running. I figure you've run your changelist and have the diff or data you want to post so having me sit around for a slow Inet connection to finish transmitting data when I could be running a backup or editing a stored procedure would help productivity a lot.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?