Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

78 results found

1. The intellisense will suggest the object as I am typing the linkedserver.db.schema.table in a statement. However, once the statement has been created, the object/columns etc. are underlined in red and hovering over displays the "Invalid object" warning

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Aaron Law responded

Hi Eric,

We haven’t received a response and are unable to recreate this bug here so we’re going to close down this feature request. If you’re still experiencing this please send us some more details.

3. I'd like the ability to align my parenthesis with the start of the line above it like so:

SELECT
    column1
    ,column2
    ,column3
    FROM
    table1
    WHERE

tableID IN
    (
    )

I would also like the option to never insert more than 1 space between words in a line.
    I don't like that there is a full tab between WITH and TARGET below. TAB the whole line or nothing. I can't find a way to get rid of this.
    ;
    WITH TARGET
    AS (
    SELECT
    Column1
    ,Column2
    ,Column3
    FROM
    table1
    )

A keyboard shortcut to add commas to a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Stephen,

I’m so sorry about the UserVoice formatting issues. I’m going to contact their support to see if this can be fixed. For now, can you please post this in our support forum at http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=137.

Davin,

I’ve declined this suggestion because it contains too many suggestions. Please post each suggestion separately so other users can vote on individual suggestions, which will help us prioritize work. There are some really good ideas here and we appreciate the feedback.

4. It would be really great if you were able to export the data to file, or document, spreadsheet. Almost a way to obtain sample data

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Aaron Law responded

I’m going to close this feature request as we have removed the data explorer feature from Prompt.

5. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Thomas Walsh responded

Thank you for your suggestion.

Ideally, we’d love to respond individually to every request, but currently we can’t due to the volume of unanswered tickets. We’re clearing up our UserVoice backlog to make it easier for us as a small team to prioritize the most valuable features moving forward. Therefore, due to a lack of recent interest in this ticket, we have decided to close it.

If you feel strongly about it, we encourage you to create a new request.

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

6. Track how often columns are joined by the user, and suggest based on common joins (for that user), not just foreign key/name/datatypes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ideally, we’d love to respond individually to every request, but currently we can’t due to the volume of unanswered tickets. We’re clearing up our UserVoice backlog to make it easier for us as a small team to prioritize the most valuable features moving forward. Therefore, due to a lack of recent interest in this ticket, we have decided to close it.

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

7. In Object Explorer you can filter tables. It would be nice if these filters could be persistent. That is that they would remain when you restart SSMS (Actually MS should fix this)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

8. Since "Design Query in Editor" results are totally unformatted, how about an option to automatically format the code returned.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

9. The SQL Prompt display of the data columns in a table needs to be enhanced to convert any user defined types to the base data type (and size if appropropriate)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

10. Define a SQLPrompt extened property for use as an alais for a table or column name that can be used by the aliases option in SQLPrompt

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

11. I would like an option to format select to one line. And make it so that you can save multiple option sets for formatting preferences.

For example ordinarily a mult line select is good. However in some situations such as copying select statements into a text box it needs to be formatted to be on one line.

Being able to define mulitple option sets and creating an option to keep select on one line would resolve the issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I do all of my work in script and would like the option to "Smart Rename" references in my open scripts rather than just installed objects.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

13. I like to indent SET so my variable names line up with DECLARE. For instance:

DECLARE @Variable int;
    ------- SET @Variable = 0;

(the hyphens are my HTML workaround would actually be spaces)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. if I move the mouse on or click if the next keywork 'then' or 'else' would be highlighted and show the logic sturcture of the block. like what the java or c# ide does. not sure if it is possible or I missed this feature in the product. Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

15. add an option like "find invalid objects" which runs globally on a DB to run "find unused variables" globally

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

16. A new Format->Data Statement option for when SELECT * FROM is used that keeps it on the SELECT and FROM on the same line.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It could be useful to convert a select statement into a user defined table type. Using ado .net i found very important to map collections to my user define table types in sql.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks,

The Prompt Team

18. As a developer I want to turn a select query into an editable table view so that I can tweak some column values without having to write an update statement.

Currently I have to write the select query, browse for the table in object explorer and select edit top x rows, open sql pane, paste the query there, press Ctrl+R to update the view, then make the manual edits. Would be great to be able to do that with some kind of macro action from a select query.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The team have reviewed this suggestion and unfortunately it’s a combination of being something of an edge case for our user base and very difficult to implement.

So, for now we’ll be declining the request. We’ll review again if we see more demand from our customers.

Thank you for the suggestion though – we’re always keen to hear from customers. Do reach out if I can do anything else to help.

19. Add some metadata as comment on when the code was formatted and which style was used, the user etc. This would make it possible to find unformated code with simple text searches

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. allow selecting a setting to use CTRL+PgUp and CTRL+PgDn to cycle through tabs in SSMS as in many other applications

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?