Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. We use SourceControl in an MSSQL Merge Replicated database. The database uses ID pools, which generate contrains all the time with new pools for each table.

The result is that all those tables show very frequently as if they were "changed", while that's technically true we don't care about those changes (those are system generated constrains, we don't want to source control that). It is basically garbage in our "changes" view, and it is actually preventing us from keeping our changes properly committed (hard to look for the changes one is doing, if there are 100 tables changes sitting around).

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. (This is actually relevant to both SQL Compare and SQL Source Control.)

We really need to be able to distinguish between unique and non-unique indexes when comparing, checking in, and deploying database schema changes. ("Unique indexes" include primary keys, unique constraints, and unique indexes on tables and unique indexes on views; "non-unique indexes" include non-unique indexes on tables and views.)

Unique indexes are essential to the database development process. They make a significant functional difference to the behavior of the database: they enforce business rules and referential integrity; they limit the data that can be entered into the database; foreign…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. We are using a web hosted repository that is very slow. It would be good if we could make comments for multiple items being committed. i.e. proc 1 with comment 1, proc 2 with comment 2 etc.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. We couple applications with schemas, not databases. It would be great to link source control to just one schema, rather than the entire database. This way, we can source the code for the application and the database in the same branch

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. BUG: When a table is changed it is moved from its alphabetic position in teh list to the bottom of the list and highlighted, which is a pain in large databases
    If you don't immediately commit the table and make more changes it is removed from the table list altogether and you have to refresh to get the table back again - I know this is the default behaviour for new tables but the highight, put in wrong place, remove action is wrong - it should either highlight and leave in place or wait until a refresh is done and…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I am completely put off by Redgate taking over so much SSMS UI. I was very attracted to some of the tools, but can't work like this. Tried to find way to disable/hide them, but appears uninstall is only way.

I want minimal UI intrusion until such time as I decide I like/want more UI intrusion. We need a way to dial it back to point where all redgate stuff optionally sits under single top menu and/or context menu.

I reckon in meantime I will install tools in a throwaway VM so I can see how they work without impeding…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Currently with Tortoise Hg we can prevent a commit if the commit message does not contain a FogBugz bug/case ID. Based on a conversation with Red Gate support, SQL Source Control commit does not currently support this functionality. Please add it ASAP.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Spell check on the comment text box would be helpful. Once a comment is checked into mercurial it is hard to fix the misspelled comments.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add preemptive error checking.
    One of our challenges is that it is too easy to break the get latest functionality. If a developer renames a column but doesn't rename all references (because he forgot to use Smart Rename) he is essentially breaking the database build. If I use Continues Integration to build the latest SQL changes, I have no bullet-proof way of ensuring that my database compiles at all time. I would like to ask Redgate to not allow a check-in which will break the build. I imagine that all that needs to be done is to ensure that first…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I'd like to see migration scripts support for PlasticSCM. Why isn't something that is written as a "plugin"? Plastic isn't supported out of the box, but it's a simple enough matter to make a config file for it. Why can't the same be done for migrations? Allow the end user to create a config file (perhaps requiring the use of regular expressions for history parsing) or some other such mechanism. It seems like this should be a relatively straightforward thing to be able to do (it would also allow the customers to create the support for any SCM system they…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  Elizabeth Ayer responded

Hello! We believe that this now works if you’re connecting to PlasticSCM with the working folder option in SQL Source Control. Before we close this request, though, we’re hoping that one of you with a real installation can check it out and let us know.

If you don’t have the tool installed, you can download it from http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you already have SQL Source Control you can get the new version via Check for updates in the Help menu of SQL Source Control inside SSMS.

Thank you for sticking with us while we worked on this, and please keep the feedback coming!

14. SQL Source Control increments a Revision number after each change. Does this imply that I am required to apply all changes up to a given Revision in a second database? I really want to apply only selected changes, and in my own order.

RELATED: If I select Revision 10 to apply to my database, and then select Revision 7, have I effectively removed changes for Revision 8, 9 and 10?

Note that I am most concerned about DATA in these cases. The schema for this particular project is mostly stable. I'm just trying to keep track of data rows that…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add "Author" and "Comment" attributes (from History window) to Get Latest display on SSMS. The Owner column is not very useful.

I would like to be able to select defect fixes or specific enhancements to apply to a version of a database. For example, changes can be made by a developer in a DEV environment and checked into Source Control. Then the DBA can apply select changes to the TEST environment database for more testing. Select changes can then move forward to an INTEGRATION testing environment for a deployment test before moving to PRODUCTION.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. It would be nice to do a quick search across all migration scripts for certain keywords. I.E. I'd like to look for all migration where I granted permissions. Or where I inserted rows into a specific table.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I am trying to pick my tables for the static data feature I just dound and i'm using "explore data" to find the table I want to store the data for. The popup however is modal so I cant scroll the data explorer without saving the ones I just ticked.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Create a way I can synchronize:

1. NON REPLICATED database X REPLICATED database
    2. REPLICATED database X REPLICATED Database

Ability to syncronize tables/columns, views, sps, triggers, functions, indexes and constraints.
    Avoid displaying individual constraints used for replication. E.g. Constraints that use range of IDs, Indexes of merging, etc.

== OR ==

Allow me to:

1. Filter Table COLUMNS by Name or part of it; E.g. 'rowguid', '% column name %'
    2. Filter Constraint Name or part of it; E.g. 'replidentity%'
    3. Filter Index by Name or part of it; E.g. 'MSmerge_%'
    61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. the ability to move column order
    Example I would like the Owner Column next to the Object Name

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Using SSC 3.0.11.3531
    Dedicated development model

1. We finally get a nice little notification that Commit Tab has been updated. (Kudos for finally doing something in the background and letting users know they have to take action on something)
    2. Click on the notification to open the Commit Tab
    3. Wait for SSC to determine latest version and work out whats changed.
    4. Select my items and say commit
    5. Wait for SSC to once again determine the latest version and work out whats changed and commit my selected changes to TFS.

Surely
    a) You already know what items are changed in order to show…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?