Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. Today, my Windows C: device was 99% full. During the search of the biggest files (which were the Windows/assembly/ folder) I noticed gigabytes of SQL Source Control files! Back to Source Control Version 3.x and 4.x even though we already updated to 5.x. Source Control does not clean up old files.

Directories I found old Source Control files:

C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\
    C:\ProgrammData\Downloaded Installations\
    C:\Users...\AppData\Local\Red Gate\

Please provide a function do uninstall all those old files that occupy even gigabytes of disk space storage. Thank you!

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add a column in the results for TFS customers so that they can see what Work Item was associated with the changeset

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When working with an object, there is a chance that another developer has made modifications as well since many developers work off of the same database.

When committing, it would be nice to be able to see a history of modifications. Each time an object is modified (F5) take a commitable snapshot of that object.

When a developer goes to commit, they could see the different times an object was modified and commit all at one time or commit the individual changes made over time. Doing a commit will roll-up all previous commits made.

Example:
    Day 1: Dev A: Adds…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. With SQL, when you modify an object, that object is now out there to be used or tweaked by other developers. Committing it is really just a statement of, I'm done working with this object and here's what I've done.

We have the problem of not committing objects as timely as we should. We make a modification and go our way until we realize a week later, we forgot to commit. So we commit, but the date time stamp of the commit is not helpful. That is just when the developer remembered.

I think it would be much, much more…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Feature which should enforce user to lock the object before editing when administrator enables the restrictive policy for the users

If it is there it will be very much helpful for most of the development projects not testing and production.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add source control support for Azure SQL Data Warehouse. I'd love to be able to source control my data warehouse schema.

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Treat object RENAME as Source Control (TFS) file RENAME not Drop & Add which deletes Source Control history of the object/file

More details can be found here: https://redgatesupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/88809

75 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Hello,
    I have a table with only one PK column of type nvarchar(200) which contains static data.
    Source Control keeps telling that there are changes even after saving the changes. It seems that it has some issues with the value s'

Database version:
    -- Only In Database

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N's''')

-- Identical

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N'a')
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N'aan')
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N'aan de')

Latest source control version:
    -- Only In Source Control

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N's''')
    --…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When using a shared database development model having a location which allows you see which developers have linked to the database. Also having the ability to be able to push out the linking to the database to developers from a central point

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I develop and have to switch between multiple databases and the source control tab keeps following the database I am on. When I want to commit changes I have to stay put otherwise I keep losing the progress looking for changes. It would be nice to have the option of which database we are looking at from the tab itself, instead of from the SQL Management Studio one

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. A truncation warning should only be given when a field is resized from large to smaller, where actual truncation could occur. Not from small to large where truncation would not occur.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Button to produce a wall of shame report of uncommitted changes by user across all databases

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Redgate is throwing an error that is costing a lot of our time to be wasted. I can link to source control no problem, but when I go to the commit tab, I see steps 1 through 4/4 complete, then I see the list of changes to check in, but this error pops up and after submitting the error report, the list of changes disappears. I have tried a lot of things and cannot get it to work. Here is what I tried:

Unlink redgate
    Close SSMS
    Delete entire directory -> C:\Users\AlbersM099\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 5
    Restart computer
    Open SSMS…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Git requires a commit message by default however SQL Source Control circumvents this setting and commits without a message. There are a few other submissions attempting to get this fixed which have been declined. Seems you are missing the point.

In the case "Empty commit message for git is invalid" the very article you've linked points out that it takes special command line flag to commit without a message. SQL source control commits without a message and provides no mechanism to prevent this. There is no configuration for git that will do this because the default git behavior is already…

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Locking feature doesn't keep history of who has locked or unlocked specific objects in database. This could become useful when a person unlocks an object locked not by him/her and would help to track historical changes.

It would require very few changes - additional history table,

[SQLSourceControl].[LockObject] and [SQLSourceControl].[UnlockObject] procedures would have to be modified.

Possibly an additional view to see that data in SQL Source Control instead of selecting raw tables.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. from http://country.io/continent.json you can have both countries to contenents and give Countries valid cities eg http://country.io/capital.json Which means if you can defined a key-value pair you can create more accurtate test data that placing "St Petersburg" in "Iceland" which is the current option.
    At worse if the json file was downloaded and 'mounted' as a table would be useful. But really JSON is the new datasource that Red-gate has to connect to.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. With Amazon RDS, the server names are changed each time an instance is created. If a dev instance is recreated monthly, and a testing instance is recreated daily, it is impossible to keep the connection to source control when the server names change.

The only way to get source control to work with our system is if it were able to connect to a static end point (dns record) rather than the server name itself

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Source conrtol should be a standalone app not SSMS addin. When performing get latest or commits, on large environments and slow connections this can easily take 20 minutes during which a click anywhere else in SSMS restarts the get latest/commit process. The logical use of source control being a SSMS addon has been outlived.

64 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are building a standalone version, which resolves some (not all) of the performance concerns that exist in the current tool. We are hoping for an early preview release in Q1 2021. Please get in touch if you’d like to try it.

20. When using either SQL Compare or Data Compare, during deployment, can we have an option to supply and store a static name for the script file rather than having to overwrite script file name in each deployment. You could supply an option to automatically overwrite the file. For early development I want one script only, I don't need to maintain a history, especially if I'm going through the deployment testing phase.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?