Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

63 results found

1. I found several feature requests concerning synonym support on the Red Gate forums: It was always put on the feature request list, but SQL Prompt still lacks support for synonyms.
    Explanation: Synonym resolution support is crucial for us, since our database design and development strategy completely relies on them. We use synonyms for everything that is out of current database context. So we develop as if every used object was within current database. It's annoying to type an object name that is in fact a synonym - and SQL Prompt does not display auto-completion for the object itself nor for…

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Aaron Law responded

We’ve released SQL Prompt 6 which includes full synonym support.

2. It would be nice, if the suggestions list for GROUP BY would include all the all the not aggregated SELECT list columns first.
    For ORDER BY, all the columns/aliases or their ordinal, and add checkbox for ASC/DESC.

72 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I would like to suggest a ranking feature when the suggestions list appears. At my place of work, if I want to select out of the customer table I will often type 'cu' then tab the rest. However this is the snippet for creating a user. This is also useful when many tables begin with the same prefix, but one is used far more often than others. With ranking, the more an object is used, the higher up the list it will appear, like browser history entries in Firefox for instance. This would reduce the number of keystrokes necessary and…

70 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. The object text exists as normal for CLR functions (or at least enough for provide auto suggest on object name and number of params and types), therefore please can function which are backed by CLR be available in the suggestion list

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When writing a query that joins to several tables, the Join Clause only seems to look at the previos table to determine what columns can be used to join on. For example, when typing out the following query:
    SELECT * FROM [dbo].[employee] AS E
    INNER JOIN [dbo].[Department] AS D
    ON [E].[DepartmentID] = [D].[DepartmentID]
    INNER JOIN [dbo].[Position] AS P
    ON ...

When I look at the options for the ON clause for the join to Position, it doesn't include any columns being joined back to the Employee table. It would be nice if the suggestions would include at least any foreign…

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve released SQL Prompt 6 which includes all tables in a join clause.

6. There is currently no support for the 'inserted' and 'deleted' tables within triggers. They should be treated as equivalent to the original table that the trigger is attached to.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I thought that partial matching for Intellisense was a rubbish idea, but after using in VS2010 I find it absolutely indispensable, and I really miss it in SQL Prompt.

[b]What is it?[/b]
    An example:
    [code]
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Clients](
    [ClientID] [int] NOT NULL,
    [ClientName] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,
    [ClientSurname] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,
    [ClientCardNumber] [int] NOT NULL
    ) ON [PRIMARY]
    [/code]

If I had to now type
    [code]
    SELECT
    ClientID,
    ClientName,
    ClientSurname,
    ClientCardNumber
    FROM
    dbo.Clients AS c
    ORDER BY
    $CURSOR$
    [/code]
    and started typing "Cli" I would get a list of all the column names on the table. However, if I typed "ID"…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The options to "Only load suggestions for certain databases" and "Don;t load suggestions for certain databases" are nice, but it'd be really useful to also be able to include or exclude on a per schema basis.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Hi!

Please consider this statement

update t1
    set t1.value = t2.value
    from Table1 t1
    join Table2 t2
    on t1.ID = t2.ID

When you have the cursor in the set-block of the statement, SqlPrompt doesn't know what 't1' means and which columns t1 has.

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When I write a join statement I put the last table that I am joining to the other tables on the left side of a join clause. For example:
    SELECT *
    FROM tblOrder o
    INNER JOIN tblIOrder_Detail d
    ON d.OrderID = o.OrderID
    The auto-generated join clause would be "ON o.OrderID = d.OrderID". It would be nice if it was possible to customize this behaviour to choose which side there will be each table/alias on.

Thanks

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve released SQL Prompt 6 which includes an option to swap the order of columns in join clauses.

11. I just needed to re attach a database from a single mdf file. Something I do every 6 months or so and every time I have to google the command and its syntax. Would be helpful so SQL Prompt recognised and helped with these and other inbuilt procedures and their parameters, for example:

spattachsinglefiledb

sp_helptext

spattachdb

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In 6.4 we always provide intellisense for system stored procedures if the query is being run against master.

If you’re running against a normal db then we hide the system stored procedures by default as they clutter the suggestions list. There’s a couple ways to get around this, either by qualifying with “sys.” or using the “List system objects” option. A video on this can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DOTmHkKo8

12. I have some longer Stored Procs and other T-SQL code and it appears that after some number of lines between the declaration of a variable, table, etc., and its subsequent usage, SQL Prompt no longer suggests the object.

I would have sworn there was an option that I could configure to say how many lines of code to look-back for declared objects.

Can we get that back?

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The intellisense box often obscures data in the grid results payne which requires that I hit esc to close suggestions and then retype or ctrl-space to bring it back up.

Possible solutions:

1) The main reason is that the box is usually much larger than it needs to be. If it would auto size as needed it would take up much less room.

2) an optional transparency setting would be much appreciated. Initially draw the box opaque but when the user stops typing, start fading it out a bit slowly because the user may want to see content below. The…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please add support for SQL CMD mode. When SSMS is in SQL CMD mode, SQL Prompt pretty much becomes disabled when :setvar is used to define an object (e.g. table) name. Thus, in the code:

:setvar mytable "dbo.mytable"
    select * from $(mytable)

SQL Prompt is of no use. SQL Prompt should be able to resolve $(mytable) to the base object.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I find that in longer stored procedures, declared variables often don't show up as I start to type them. E.g. typing @ towards the beginning of the sp shows me a list of the variables, however if I'm further down in the proc, they ofter are not listed.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Intellisense  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hows about Code sniffing? For checking code compliance with user defined standards. Like checking column names conform to a defined standard, warnings on bad practices etc. You know all those little annoying things like no clustered index, use of cursors instead of set based ops, use of Select * or of Insert into tableA values (a,b,c).

All driven by user defined rules? With larger dev teams the standards docs always left to the side. If it could work on input and in some sort of batch mode (on sql source control check in?) it would be nice.

I've been looking…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re happy to announce that we introduced code analysis in SQL Prompt 9+. For additional information see: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp9/analyzing-your-code

You can get the latest version of SQL Prompt from https://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any ideas regarding improvements to Prompt’s code analysis, please feel free to open further UserVoice requests.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,

The Prompt Team

17. It would be nice if SQL Prompt could parse CTE expressions and provide prompts just like for regular tables

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Could we have a check box to allow us to have the semi colon as one of the insertion keys (Main->Behaviour)?

It's not as common as the other keys there but when I'm about to finish a script I can't just hit the semi colon key.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. In Visual Studio 2010, when I type in a function name and then the open paranthesis, I'm shown some intellisense that tells me what type of parameters I need to type in. For example, if I type (using VB.Net) "Dim da as Date=DateAdd(", it tells me the first paramter is "Interval as Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interval", and so forth. It would be nice if SQL Prompt did this for built-in (or even user created) functions, e.g. the DATEADD SQL function. I can never remember exactly the parameter sequence of that function, and it would be nice if SQL Prompt showed me like VS…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Paul Stephenson responded

SQL Prompt already did this, but there was a bug with certain built-in functions, including DATEADD(), that prevented the tooltip from appearing. This is now fixed in SQL Prompt 5.2.

20. Display the scale and precision (length) of data types like numeric and varchar in pop-up hint windows. This would be a very helpful feature to keep data types consistent throughout a database if one doesn't want to set up a user data type for each and every column that stores data types with additional parameters like, for instance, the scale and precision.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Andrei Rusitoru responded

This feature was released in version 7.3 of SQL Prompt.

If there are any missing features please let us know by creating a new suggestion.

Kind Regards,
    The Prompt Team

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?